Home

Shopmaster YT video regarding scouting

This is a discussion on Shopmaster YT video regarding scouting within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2018, 10:49 PM   #33
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Shopmaster YT video regarding scouting

I wouldn’t mind if I were able to just hide the OVR rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-14-2018, 11:25 PM   #34
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
I don't like idea of totally hidden ratings, that's not even remotely realistic IMO , even just casual eye balling of games gives you some idea of players abilities though there is no reason to not include this as an option tbh

I'd prefer a blurring of ratings within a certain range or a star or alphabetical grading, which is clarified as certain playing time or practice criteria are met , until after a time the whole picture is visible , I believe deuce douglas outlines such a system in his franchise re-build
I believe the AI could be programmed to see whatever is visible to the user and react accordingly with it's teams , ie treat the grades as the "true" picture not the hidden OVR until those criteria are reached
I definitely agree in that IMO, 100% hidden doesn't really have a place whether it be in scouting or any kind of obscured ratings system. I highly, highly doubt there's ever a time where a team drafts a player or even in a situation to draft a player that they have zero knowledge about. And even under that unlikely scenario, it wouldn't take long for them to have something so the idea that you're completely blind on a guy throughout preseason and that's one area that Madden 12's system definitely could have improved on.

The model I've proposed is a tiered system where even at the lowest level, you still have a very basic, non-exact outline of what the player is and over time with your team whether it be through practice or playing time, that picture of the player would become more and more exact until you essentially know exactly what he is. You could take that system a step further and make it to where practice is strictly team/coach knowledge and playing time is effectively the tape on a player and that is league wide and then that can factor into free agency as well as coaching staffs if they were to be implemented.

As for scouting though, the current system definitely needs something new and different. I've always liked the older Madden's approach with the combine numbers and then the written pro/con report. Maybe add in some layer of basic knowledge where before you even scout a guy he has "Poor, Below Average, Average, Good, etc." for certain things relevant to his position. Then from there you can do things like having specific scouts that are better and worse (more or less accurate) at certain things, positions, etc.

I'm also not the biggest fan of picking and choosing who to scout but don't mind it too much but I think the dynamic when it comes to scouting a player vs. not scouting a player should be more information vs. less information rather than some information vs. no information.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:41 PM   #35
All Star

UFCMPunk's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncereBlackout
So how long do we have to wait for this to come to madden. Can we borrow Devs like live did?

I’d prefer scouts be regional than have an expertise in a position. Possibly both but if I had to choose regional over positional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regional would be the best way to go especially if your following suit with what NHL 19 is doing. A scout may be good in one country but not another, and same thing with NFL. I was looking at the Ravens website, and they list out the name of their scouts. They have two national scouts, they have a Northeast area scout, Midwest area scout, South East, West Area Scout, etc.

For Madden, all we need is a National Scout, and one scout from each region with some scouts that do come with a positional bonus. Not all scouts have a certain expertise in a position but some you hire may be good at scouting a certain position.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #36
Rookie

None of this matters until "overalls" are removed the game. Scouting is simply too easy with it and will continue to be.

Remove overalls and then we can get to scouting. Overalls are the root of offline league problems.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:10 PM   #37
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Has it occurred to anyone that EA doesn't want to add any of this stuff. It's in their best interest to make sure franchise mode is bare bones. Why would they want another mode that's fun enough to take eye balls away from ultimate scheme?
Old 07-16-2018, 12:03 AM   #38
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
Has it occurred to anyone that EA doesn't want to add any of this stuff. It's in their best interest to make sure franchise mode is bare bones. Why would they want another mode that's fun enough to take eye balls away from ultimate scheme?
I think EA knows there is still a sizable fanbase that buys Madden for it's offline franchise mode. That's normally where you see the negativity come from. The MUT YouTubers/fans seem to accept anything, even outright defending EA.

I'm a firm believer that if offline franchise is done right, all other aspects of Madden will follow.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:07 AM   #39
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046

To your point about draft busts like Leaf though I'd like to add something , whilst there is a large degree of group thinking in the scouting world that's not the entire story , not everyone thought Heyward-Bey was a 1st rd talent , or Germaine Ifedi, or the Edmunds guy Pittsburgh selected this year and it's not always about "fit", teams just differ in how they rate people sometimes
Whilst the archetype/ player type/scheme fit system does allow Madden to express teams valueing players differently , it doesn't reflect teams just having different opinions on a prospect from a talent perspective which is something I'd like to see in Madden, and having varying scouts offering differening grades would help that regardless of any ratings blurring or hiding

Good points. And I think this is something we see more in 32-team leagues, drafting guys early do to a fear of them not being there later.

Not yet there for offline play.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:21 AM   #40
MVP

OVR: 1

i also liked the uncertainty with hc06 scouting, and i had no clue about 2k5 but thats just me

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »