Home

EA please allow HDR settings for madden 19

This is a discussion on EA please allow HDR settings for madden 19 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #9
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: EA please allow HDR settings for madden 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BChristensen75
Should’ve gotten a z9d instead

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Next time try reading the OG post it helps. I already have a Samsung ks8000, but prefer the picture of OLED over LCD/LED any day. The issue was only on OLED, but great suggestion..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
MVP

Artman22's Arena

EA please allow HDR settings for madden 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB5XSBW
Not on my end.
It looks great graphically speaking. The problem was this game looks too dark on OLED TVs. It looks perfect on my Samsung ks8000. That’s why I hope they allow HDR intensity settings like all their other sports games and it’ll fix the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Yeah I agree, but don't do it like the Show, LOL

Oh man that was a disaster I remember lol.

Quote:
I only see this complaint with PS4 Pro users. Everyone with the Xbox One X loved the way 18 looked.

I wonder if the OP has a Pro, too.

I have it on both consoles and it looks dark on both consoles with OLED TVs. It looked and played better on the Xbox though.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
MVP

UtahUtes32's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
I only see this complaint with PS4 Pro users. Everyone with the Xbox One X loved the way 18 looked.. .
Not even close... Madden 18 HDR did not look good on Xbox one x in my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #12
MVP

UtahUtes32's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
19 looks alot darker and washed out at certain times. I hope I'm wrong when I see the retail copy at home.
100% agree. Although Roadman is gonna throw a fit if you talk about 19..
Old 07-19-2018, 04:42 PM   #13
Banned

TB5XSBW's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpycraig
Not even close... Madden 18 HDR did not look good on Xbox one x in my opinion.
You're the first person I've seen with that complaint. What TV do you use?
Old 07-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #14
Emerald Archer

Sphinx's Arena

Personally I didn't think madden 18 hdr looked all that good on either console. But I was on an LG Oled panel and if that was having issues with Madden's HDR that could be why.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #15
Banned

TB5XSBW's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx
Personally I didn't think madden 18 hdr looked all that good on either console. But I was on an LG Oled panel and if that was having issues with Madden's HDR that could be why.
HDR throws a wrench in everything. If your TV is bright enough and has good tone mapping, then you shouldn't have any issues with any content. However, with an OLED, you have sub-optimal peak brightness and fairly poor tone mapping. The LG OLEDs tone map based on the mastering display max luminance. So if something is mastered at 4000 nits, but the MaxCLL (brightest pixel in the content) is way below that, then the TV will think that the brightest pixel is actually 4000 nits. It will then compress the 4000 nit range down to whatever the TV supports (in this case, 750 nits) and therefore MaxCLL will get compressed by the same factor. That's why some content looks incredibly dim on an LG OLED.

I have an OLED too, but I much prefer HDR10 content on my high nit LCD. I use my OLED only for Dolby Vision and SDR. Luckily, the Xbox One X has DV support - only through streaming now, but it will likely be added for UHD blu ray and games too in the future. That will help OLEDs tremendously.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #16
MVP

Artman22's Arena

Quote:
HDR throws a wrench in everything. If your TV is bright enough and has good tone mapping, then you shouldn't have any issues with any content. However, with an OLED, you have sub-optimal peak brightness and fairly poor tone mapping. The LG OLEDs tone map based on the mastering display max luminance. So if something is mastered at 4000 nits, but the MaxCLL (brightest pixel in the content) is way below that, then the TV will think that the brightest pixel is actually 4000 nits. It will then compress the 4000 nit range down to whatever the TV supports (in this case, 750 nits) and therefore MaxCLL will get compressed by the same factor. That's why some content looks incredibly dim on an LG OLED.

I have an OLED too, but I much prefer HDR10 content on my high nit LCD. I use my OLED only for Dolby Vision and SDR. Luckily, the Xbox One X has DV support - only through streaming now, but it will likely be added for UHD blu ray and games too in the future. That will help OLEDs tremendously.

The crazy thing is my Samsung ks8000 gets a lot brighter than my OLED, but the picture is a lot better than LCD/LED. The black levels alone makes a huge difference. I wonder if games will ever support Dolby vision since they have to pay a fee. I asked EA on Twitter about adding HDR settings but got no response.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »