Home

EA please allow HDR settings for madden 19

This is a discussion on EA please allow HDR settings for madden 19 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2018, 05:06 PM   #17
Banned

TB5XSBW's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA please allow HDR settings for madden 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22
The crazy thing is my Samsung ks8000 gets a lot brighter than my OLED, but the picture is a lot better than LCD/LED. The black levels alone makes a huge difference. I wonder if games will ever support Dolby vision since they have to pay a fee. I asked EA on Twitter about adding HDR settings but got no response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You either need a an LCD that has FALD, or if it's edge lit, you need to use some bias lighting. Your KS8000 is edge lit, so if you use it in a completely dark environment, then it won't look good. If you use some bias lighting (6500K and CRI of over 92%) then it should yield an incredible picture.

HDR10 on my high nit FALD LCD looks better than it does on my LG OLED.

If the X gets DV support for blu ray and games, I am certain developers will make use of it.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #18
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB5XSBW
You either need a an LCD that has FALD, or if it's edge lit, you need to use some bias lighting. Your KS8000 is edge lit, so if you use it in a completely dark environment, then it won't look good. If you use some bias lighting (6500K and CRI of over 92%) then it should yield an incredible picture.

HDR10 on my high nit FALD LCD looks better than it does on my LG OLED.

If the X gets DV support for blu ray and games, I am certain developers will make use of it.

I guess I disagree. I already have a 6500k bias light on my ks8000 and it does help a lot, but to me the OLED B7 looks better to me. What FALD tv do you have?

Old 07-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #19
Banned

TB5XSBW's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22
I guess I disagree. I already have a 6500k bias light on my ks8000 and it does help a lot, but to me the OLED B7 looks better to me. What FALD tv do you have?

Samsung KS9800.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #20
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB5XSBW
You're the first person I've seen with that complaint. What TV do you use?
Yeah, I dont agree with that statement at all. 18 looked amazing on my 4khdr on the Xbox One X. I had to fiddle with the settings a tad, but it definitely made a difference.

Playing:
Old 07-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #21
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpycraig
100% agree. Although Roadman is gonna throw a fit if you talk about 19..
mmmm, second time you mentioned me personally regarding the beta in the past few weeks.

I don't throw fits(bit of exaggeration), I just friendly remind people to respect where the invitation came from, out of respect for Steve.

It's similar to, if someone buys you a beer or adult beverage, you at one point return the kindness.

I don't think that is that difficult to ask for or is it?

An NDA is still an NDA at the end of the day.

Last edited by roadman; 07-19-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #22
Banned

The sad part is, HDR is supposed to look darker. What many gamers fiddle with, to make it look better, is just destroying the entire point of HDR. The first thing I noticed when using HDR on Netflix is how much darker the image is, but how it remains clear.

I'd actually argue the opposite. Devs need to avoid letting customers ruin the HDR content by boosting the brightness and lessening its effect. Give customers time to adapt to the new brightness levels that are much darker than we are used to.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:03 PM   #23
Rookie

KidsAreAsleep's Arena

I agree with Artman22 here. When Madden 18 came out last year I decided it was time for an upgrade. I bought a PS4 Pro and tried 5 different 4KHDR TV's. These included different variations of Samsung, Vizio, TCL, and more. Unfortunately, when I would turn on HDR, the picture would become very dark and the colors would seem washed out. There was not a single TV that provided good HDR quality with Madden 18. Ultimately, I decided to turn off HDR and I was able to have a much better picture. I was a little disappointed, but I was also excited, as I was coming from a 720p TV. Although, my hope moving forward was that this would be fixed for Madden 19. I guess we shall see...

YouTube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfb...B8QRdC0QWSRTIg

Twitch Channel:https://www.twitch.tv/kidsareasleepgaming
Old 07-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #24
Banned

TB5XSBW's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
The sad part is, HDR is supposed to look darker. What many gamers fiddle with, to make it look better, is just destroying the entire point of HDR. The first thing I noticed when using HDR on Netflix is how much darker the image is, but how it remains clear.

I'd actually argue the opposite. Devs need to avoid letting customers ruin the HDR content by boosting the brightness and lessening its effect. Give customers time to adapt to the new brightness levels that are much darker than we are used to.
The average picture level isn't meant to be darker in HDR, it's actually supposed to remain the same as in SDR. At least that's how most movies and games are graded. Since APL is about the same, and since highlights will be brighter in HDR, this means that the lower end of the curve (the darker areas) will be darker. Sometimes this can account for a large portion of the image, which is why some scenes will appear darker in HDR. The problem comes when you have tone mapping that compresses the entire range based on the mastering display max luminance. That's how you end up with a much darker image than intended.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »