Home

Has pass interference ever worked in Madden games?

This is a discussion on Has pass interference ever worked in Madden games? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #17
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Has pass interference ever worked in Madden games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
Can't win with this one.

Imagine.. you're playing your Super Bowl, and you lose the game because you got flagged for a random PI.. most would go berserk.
That sim though...penalties cost team in a big way on a regular basis. I'd be frustrated, but would love seeing it. As others have said...if it's that bad of a thing, work hard to be up by enough where it doesn't lose you the game, or keep disciplined players on your squad.

Major Boise State fan
Old 07-25-2018, 02:38 PM   #18
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrormaster
PSX & PS2 era Madden actually called penalties
I don't remember any Madden ( I go back to the 90s) calling penalties at a " realistic " rate without slider input to be honest , PI particularly, outside of the line play penalties , could be my memory I suppose
Old 07-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #19
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Like others have said, yes PI worked in much older Maddens and for me, it's paramount in my fond memories of playing the game back then. Thing is, I was never one to play Madden much mainly vs the CPU, even back in those days, prior to internet, for me Madden was for playing with as many other people as possible, all crammed up, waiting for next, etc.

So I can't really speak to how PI was handled when playing the CPU but for User v User, yes it worked and it was a fun and needed aspect in adding a realistic based challenge/risk/reward to User control.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

It worked pretty well in Madden 18. Sure not as many calls as real life but then no one wants that I don't believe in a video game, LOL

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-25-2018, 03:57 PM   #21
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
It worked pretty well in Madden 18. Sure not as many calls as real life but then no one wants that I don't believe in a video game, LOL
Yes please, may I have another.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #22
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Like others have said, yes PI worked in much older Maddens and for me, it's paramount in my fond memories of playing the game back then. Thing is, I was never one to play Madden much mainly vs the CPU, even back in those days, prior to internet, for me Madden was for playing with as many other people as possible, all crammed up, waiting for next, etc.

So I can't really speak to how PI was handled when playing the CPU but for User v User, yes it worked and it was a fun and needed aspect in adding a realistic based challenge/risk/reward to User control.
Ok I get it now , yes penalties against users ( as opposed to CPU controlled players, were much more likely , still are though I think (?)
Old 07-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #23
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
Ok I get it now , yes penalties against users ( as opposed to CPU controlled players, were much more likely , still are though I think (?)
Nah, in my experience, PI for User v User became rare to nonexistent, it has been on my list of issues throughout the various years. Like I said before, it was so noticeable because I was fond of the realistic challenge it added to choosing to User control intended receivers(Offensive PI) and pass covering defenders vs trusting your AI/CPU teammate's skill/ratings.

As far as a "realistic amount" of PI penalties goes, I see that as moot IF context is inherent. "Context" extends beyond just what happened on any particular PI call too, it includes quarter lengths, weather conditions, players skills/ratings, etc, so if the context is there, whatever numbers/stats are "realistic".

Likewise, context would also apply to playing the CPU or Coach mode because I argue that it's not penalties that most have an issue with, even in key moments of a game that can contribute to a loss, it's the perception of it being random that's the issue.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #24
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

As Roadman said,'16 had pass interference and actually penalties in general including defensive holding down accurately. Sliders were tweaked as always but they worked and you easily got the right ratio.This was a touted feature for '16.

Another instance where something that was just right gets derailed. I'd say most things were right if only for one version of Madden. Challenges are certainly one of the exceptions off the top of my head.

Last edited by gr18; 07-25-2018 at 04:52 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »