Home

Madden 19 Interview by SGO with Dustin Smith on Mouthpieces, Tattoos, equipment etc..

This is a discussion on Madden 19 Interview by SGO with Dustin Smith on Mouthpieces, Tattoos, equipment etc.. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #65
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Madden 19 Interview by SGO with Dustin Smith on Mouthpieces, Tattoos, equipment e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato06
I’ll be the first to admit I can be overly critical sometimes, but to keep things in perspective....A lot of us are quickly forgetting that there was a time when we had to wait 5 years for equipment updates. The fact that it’s happening yearly now is huge! Not that we should hold back on what we ask for, but let’s give credit where credit is due.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

It's only huge when comparing it to past Maddens. If you compare what he's doing versus those before him he's doing alright. If you compare what he's doing versus the rest of the active industry it's still sad.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #66
MVP

Brooke2011's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 19 Interview by SGO with Dustin Smith on Mouthpieces, Tattoos, equipment e

Getting back to striped socks and how it relates to uniform polices. Correct me if I’m wrong but when you choos a team in Madden, don’t you have the ability to mix and match everything from the helmet down to the shoes. If we are really going by nfl rules, isn’t that ability to do that in Madden actually breaking the uniform rules since certain combinations would never be allowed or worn in a real NFL game.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:06 PM   #67
Rookie

Cato06's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
Only way to get credit after a 5 year drought is by showing up to at least meet the same standards as other sports games when it comes to equipment, you don't get credit for ignoring equipment for years and once you do show it some attention you still take baby steps every year.

I’m with you, but just to be devils advocate, the biggest complaint 3 years ago was that the equipment had been the same for 5 years straight. They finally got themselves to a point where we are seeing a lot of new helmets, gloves, cleats, sleeves every year now. I never claimed it was everything we want but I’m going to give them credit for changing and adding things on a yearly basis now.

I would also like to see everything that we’ve been begging for for years now but he basically told you the exact reason why they havnt got to it. There’s a lot that goes into it. It’s not a simple photoshop, insert mouth guard. He said they CAN do it but if they used all the resources that they have you would have no other updates besides mouthguards and that probably wouldn’t fly with his management team. From what I got out of the interview he can’t do it all by himself on the side, it takes a team of artist, etc to get it done. I’m not letting EA off the hook by any means, they need to give him more help to get these things done. However I’m not gonna deny the fact that they’ve improved the production in the equipment department over the last 3 years.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:16 PM   #68
Rookie

Cato06's Arena

Madden 19 Interview by SGO with Dustin Smith on Mouthpieces, Tattoos, equipment etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke2011
Getting back to striped socks and how it relates to uniform polices. Correct me if I’m wrong but when you choos a team in Madden, don’t you have the ability to mix and match everything from the helmet down to the shoes. If we are really going by nfl rules, isn’t that ability to do that in Madden actually breaking the uniform rules since certain combinations would never be allowed or worn in a real NFL game.

This has been one of my arguments in the past. They should just let us do whatever we want in the custom uniforms screen. If I can wear throw back socks and pants that don’t match the color of the most up to date team jersey or helmet, than why can’t I have full control of glove and cleat colors for the color rush uni’s? Especially now that I’m hearing color rush uni’s won’t be featured on Thursday night games anymore. I’m pretty sure they are just considered alternate uniforms at this point if a team decides to wear them in the future.

If you read at the bottom of this link, they are saying teams are now going to use their color rush uniform as their own official alternate uniform. Im pretty sure that means that they can wear primary or secondary colored equipment like alot of players have been doing anyway.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Color_Rush

Last edited by Cato06; 07-27-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #69
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke2011
It seems like the NFL has a strange perception of what Madden is. Maybe they need to get out of their leather chaired offices and actually speak to a few of the people who buy and play the game to understand what it actually represents to them. I think I speak for most when I say it's just a video game. Nothing more than that. Nobody takes anything that happens in the video game seriously enough to think it reflects positively or negatively on the NFL and it's absurd to think of it in any other way. The fact that it still bears the name Madden doesn't mean anyone will infer anything about John Madden as a result of what they see in the game. That's without even mentioning NFL Street...
Old 07-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #70
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
2k has signature styles for a myriad of players not just superstars.

It's not just Stephen Curry or LeBron James. They didn't stop with the top 10 players.

Every single player has a signature shot, along with their tendencies, down to the particular shoes and accessories they wear....ALL of them, and they even dynamically change on the fly as in real life.

[...]

Simple accessories are the least of what they should be able to do.
I'm well-aware as to how detailed NBA 2K gets with their player animation packages. I was leveraging Curry as a particularly visible example. 2K deserves all the praise they get for that, what with free-throw animations, player-specific tics like Curry, and whatever.

To the end of Madden, however: what "signature style" exists in the modern NFL for Tiburon to replicate?

I can think of exactly two during-gameplay player behaviors which are unique to a particular player, both retired: Walter Payton's high-stepping to fake out defenders, and Tony Romo's houdini spin to evade pressure in the pocket. If you want to throw Barry Sanders' extreme cuts in there as a third, fine, but he's also retired.

Unlike the NBA, there's no player with a signature juke that only he does (and does consistently every game). There's no quarterback who has a signature throw that only he can make with a unique style to it. There's no left tackle who blocks a certain unique and visible way. Odell Beckham made a spectacular one-handed catch once, but he did that particular catch only once and other players have made similarly awesome one-handed grabs; should Beckham be the only one allowed to pull off that animation?

The NFL simply doesn't have the expressive personalities the NBA does. If they exist, they certainly aren't embraced, promoted, and celebrated to nearly the same degree the NBA has. Part of that is that the sport of football doesn't allow for it the way basketball does, part of that is the NFL ruling over its players with an iron fist (a whole 'nother topic). To that end, what exactly do you want to see in Madden? What would be worth Tiburon's time to build?

For the record, M19 is adding per-player pre-snap behaviors for quarterbacks, so there's that at least.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 07-27-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:08 PM   #71
MVP

cthurt's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
It seems like the NFL has a strange perception of what Madden is. Maybe they need to get out of their leather chaired offices and actually speak to a few of the people who buy and play the game to understand what it actually represents to them. I think I speak for most when I say it's just a video game. Nothing more than that. Nobody takes anything that happens in the video game seriously enough to think it reflects positively or negatively on the NFL and it's absurd to think of it in any other way. The fact that it still bears the name Madden doesn't mean anyone will infer anything about John Madden as a result of what they see in the game. That's without even mentioning NFL Street...

Madden cant make the NFL's rep any worse then Goodell already has but that's another subject. But I totally agree with what you stated its a video game used for fun entertainment if a guys helmet pops off in the video game from a big hit I wouldn't go boycott the actual NFL about player safety that's a huge reach.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #72
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Unlike the NBA, there's no player with a signature juke that only he does (and does consistently every game). There's no quarterback who has a signature throw that only he can make with a unique style to it. There's no left tackle who blocks a certain unique and visible way. Odell Beckham made a spectacular one-handed catch once, but he did that particular catch only once and other players have made similarly awesome one-handed grabs; should Beckham be the only one allowed to pull off that animation?
There are plenty of signature animations and behaviors Tiburon can add. They started in Madden 10 and somehow just fell off with Madden 13. They're just starting to get back with the audibles. Every QB throws different, sig drop backs, sig stances, sig running styles, sig route running, sig moves at the line. There's so much they can do. Being generic is just easier.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

Last edited by SageInfinite; 07-27-2018 at 03:26 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »