Home

T4VERTS Interview with Clint Oldenburg

This is a discussion on T4VERTS Interview with Clint Oldenburg within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
T4VERTS Interview with Clint Oldenburg

T4Verts, thank you for hitting the sim questions, much appreciated.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2018, 07:30 PM   #2
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: T4VERTS Interview with Clint Oldenburg

3 words you never want to hear from a game designer in unison. I-dont-know. Sigh.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 07-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
MVP

Other Guy's Arena

OVR: 15

Adaptive AI: I'm totally on board with CPU changing its calls to prevent users from running the same play repeatedly, and I don't think the the CPU needs to be predictive to do it. The CPU obviously knows what the user has called, and I would be totally okay with it basing its play call on stopping something that has been run multiple times. I don't like the idea of individual players changing their behavior within a play however. Either it works every time and players are psychic, or you're getting burned by your guy freelancing.

Bad snaps: Not a big deal to me personally, but i think it could be implemented. I don't think a snap mechanic is the way to go, but I don't see why the dice roll logic wouldn't work (with a low chance of happening). Clint says they're reluctant to add it because it's not fun, but that's football. We have dropped passes, missed blocks, and errant throws. Those aren't always fun, but it's authentic.

In general: I'm a little disappointed in the amount of stuff that's left out because it would have to "carry the year". It further shows that the priority each year is back of the box features, and getting in as many as possible. With that mindset, there is so much stuff missing that will probably never make into the game.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:04 PM   #4
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Bad Snaps: I like how T4Verts added towards the end that if and when they expanded sliders(Clint mentioned that is something they need to look at next), you could add a Bad Snap slider. Clint seemed to like that approach by saying, options, option and options. Where have I heard that before? lol

I agree with the overall outlook. Some things seem to be a timing hog and they won't see the light of day.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

I feel like I heard a whole lot of Ian Cummings in there:P

Anyways, here's where i always go with the fun argument; not all games are fun, and that shouldn't always be the goal. Amnesia isn't fun, it's engaging. Madden should be fun as a whole, but that fun comes from overcoming adversity.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2018, 08:28 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Guy
Adaptive AI: I'm totally on board with CPU changing its calls to prevent users from running the same play repeatedly, and I don't think the the CPU needs to be predictive to do it. The CPU obviously knows what the user has called, and I would be totally okay with it basing its play call on stopping something that has been run multiple times.
I couldn't agree more. I would like to see this taken a step further, regarding users actually being able to see a list of what the CPU likes to do playwise and be able to work on it and practice. Just as important, allow the CPU to gameplan for the user as well....
Old 07-26-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Guy
Adaptive AI: I'm totally on board with CPU changing its calls to prevent users from running the same play repeatedly, and I don't think the the CPU needs to be predictive to do it. The CPU obviously knows what the user has called, and I would be totally okay with it basing its play call on stopping something that has been run multiple times. I don't like the idea of individual players changing their behavior within a play however. Either it works every time and players are psychic, or you're getting burned by your guy freelancing.

Bad snaps: Not a big deal to me personally, but i think it could be implemented. I don't think a snap mechanic is the way to go, but I don't see why the dice roll logic wouldn't work (with a low chance of happening). Clint says they're reluctant to add it because it's not fun, but that's football. We have dropped passes, missed blocks, and errant throws. Those aren't always fun, but it's authentic.

In general: I'm a little disappointed in the amount of stuff that's left out because it would have to "carry the year". It further shows that the priority each year is back of the box features, and getting in as many as possible. With that mindset, there is so much stuff missing that will probably never make into the game.
Heard some good and bad but I expected that and at least he put it out there so people can make an informed decision about the game..I agree with everything you mentioned..I am not enamored with his reasoning for what is sim and what is fun..It sounded like a personal opinion but I can respect that..Bad snaps should be a dice roll regardless if it happens once every two games or twice a game..it happens ..same thing with PI and Dh..it happens..I think he worded it great when he said we can transcend the football in Madden to not include certain aspects that might not be fun for the player..perfectly stated and again you have to respect that..I can again offer the opinion that when capable modes should be broken up and play as intended with one mode getting all those variables that you see on a Sunday..Its easy for me to say but I respect the fact that as a developer it has to be hard to do..good interview in general alot of honest insight that I I havent quite heard from Ea before...kudos...
Old 07-26-2018, 08:59 PM   #8
MVP

One thing I’d like to add is we are kind of spoiled with this stuff. I work in marketing and communications and I’d never let mid management do public interviews with people without screening them. For these guys to make themselves available to some random guy like me is pretty cool. I provide no advance notice of questions so what you are getting is real honest answers. Sometimes they stumble a bit because it catches them off guard but for the most part they give the best answers they have.

Me and Clint joked off line that he was glad I didn’t ask some of the CFM questions people were tweeting me because he had no clue. Each of them are very good at what they do but you got to understand there are a lot of layers of people there that each take on a small piece of a very complex game.

Last edited by T4VERTS; 07-26-2018 at 09:04 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »