Home

lets be real here is Madden Anti-consumer???

This is a discussion on lets be real here is Madden Anti-consumer??? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #49
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: lets be real here is Madden Anti-consumer???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
Some of the rationalization I see in this thread is just, wow... I can't even...

Aside from that, I see so much about "resources" and other excuses. That's all completely false. First off, the Madden team and the resources EA has are massively larger than what 2k/take two have. Both are big companies, yes, but the Madden team is huge. There is no excuse about not having the resources to build a quality experience. The excuses about restrictions from the NFL are also bogus. Yes, there are some restrictions from the NFL, but not involving what sports gamers want. Also, 2k has a bunch of modes dedicated to "Ultimate Team" type of gaming just like Madden. That doesn't stop them from building up the core of the game, which is a true, complete NBA experience on and off the court.

I find it difficult to understand why all of these false rationalizations are made to defend Madden. If you enjoy Madden, then it shouldn't matter to you either way. Have fun with the game, that's the entire point. That being said, that doesn't change the reality of the situation. A good friend of mine and I talk about this a lot. He used this analogy... "I love the movie Half-Baked. It's not a good movie. It is not oscar worthy in its acting, nor is it going to set the precedent for comedy/drama, but I love that movie. Just because I love it, does not mean that it changes what the movie really is."

So, is Madden anti-consumer? The answer to this question is undeniably NO. The company acquired an exclusive license to position itself in a way to build the game how they build it. As much as I despise them (for many reasons not relevant in this thread), that is their right to do so. As boneheaded and ridiculous as I think their design, development and overall production of their game might be, they still need consumers to have a business.

That being said, Madden is getting absolutely crushed by NBA 2k in sales. This is not just Worldwide, it is here in North America. You can try to spin it however you want, but the reason is that 2k is offering a massively better experience. Even people who are not as passionate about basketball as they are about football are switching over because of what it is offering. It is a complete experience and makes madden look absolutely ridiculous. Let's be real, if EA announced the type of feature set that NBA 2k was, people on here would lose their minds in bliss and proclaim EA to be the greatest company ever. People can try to spin it however they want, "Football is harder, Basketball is world wide, there are less consoles, etc. etc." or whatever the excuse of the month is here at OS. The reality is that none of it is valid.

I find a way to enjoy Madden by playing in a league. However, that doesn't change the reality of the situation and it doesn't make me suddenly lie to myself to try and convince myself Madden is better than it is. There is absolutely no excuse for it other than it being a calculated and deliberate move by EA to do what they do when it comes to this game. They have a right to do it, it's their product. It sucks for us consumers, but it is what it is.
Sources to your assertions?
Old 08-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #50
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Sources to your assertions?
Yeah I'd like to see that as well, I'm not denying it's true but just would like to see how badly they are losing if it is

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #51
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
I can't guess what the production cost was. Crazy to think about.

But I also can't name a title Rockstar didn't deliver on.

Grand Theft Auto V is still on store shelves after 5 years, and has generated more money than any movie ever made.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we aren't saying the same thing about Red Dead II 10 years from now.

.. it would be fascinating to see what sales would be on Madden 2005 if it was re-released.
GTA V is also open world and a completely different game. World of Warcraft has been out for ~14 years and still ruling.

Maybe Madden should let people drive cars, fly planes and shoot others with huge guns?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #52
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
You got a link to this blog?

Just look at what they did in a year ( without monetizing franchise i might add) . If they can do this , so CAN others and make money. That is my issue with this talk of madden " needing" to monetize franchise in order to improve it more. Thats just what EA wants people thinking so they finally cave and agree to it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianma.../#3f28e62755bf

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 08-03-2018, 12:59 PM   #53
Rookie

TrustTheProcess's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
GTA V is also open world and a completely different game. World of Warcraft has been out for ~14 years and still ruling.

Maybe Madden should let people drive cars, fly planes and shoot others with huge guns?
Open world GM mode? Sounds interesting. They can always do more to make the cycle last longer. That just an excuse.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #54
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustTheProcess
Open world GM mode? Sounds interesting. They can always do more to make the cycle last longer. That just an excuse.
I have been making notes for such a game style. Where people enter the game mode as the player or coach or owner, etc. and live the world. I think it would be awesome. love WoW so I am biased in that game style.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:03 PM   #55
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Yeah I'd like to see that as well, I'm not denying it's true but just would like to see how badly they are losing if it is
Exactly. I am not saying what is said is true or false. But would like to see some sources so I can get a better picture of what the author is saying.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #56
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
Just look at what they did in a year ( without monetizing franchise i might add) . If they can do this , so CAN others and make money. That is my issue with this talk of madden " needing" to monetize franchise in order to improve it more. Thats just what EA wants people thinking so they finally cave and agree to it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianma.../#3f28e62755bf
I share your frustration, I just try to see things from the viewpoint of EA. I'm a realist. I really have the most frustration with the NFL for making the license exclusive.

I mean really the NFL is just full of dumb decisions in the past decade.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »