Home

Utter frustration as a Coach Mode player

This is a discussion on Utter frustration as a Coach Mode player within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Utter frustration as a Coach Mode player

Also a coach mode guy...in 18 saw a similar problem. The RBs would juke and spin even when not needed. I had to edit RB attributes for these moves down so that they would just run straight for the most part.

I bet the same issue rears its head in 19...the ratings are too high for these special moves.

Sounds like QB edits will also be required - throwing ball away or scrambling like was required in 18.

C
Old 08-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #10
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTitan
I understand that everyone enjoys different things in any game, sports or not. If I am understanding you correctly, you mostly play the game in "watch" mode right (where you dont control any players directly) correct? I understand the frustration, but dont you think its a little hard to bash EA when you arent "technically" playing the game the way it was designed?? Nothing personal bro, just really playing devil's advocate here to poiny out they cant possibly make the game so that it completely satisfies ALL play styles. Hope it gets improved for ya as the updates drop.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Operation Sports mobile app
Why can't they? You could play NCAA games in coach mode or in cpu vs cpu and didn't have any of these problems and that was 5 years ago.

Coach mode in Madden has been a joke for years.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:15 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
I'm an avid coach mode, simulation freak, stats guys and I'm a firm believer and letting the players ratings carry the game, not my own skills at the game.

I have this mind set with ALL sports games, not just Madden. I'm a huge fan of OOTP and Football Manager because of it.

With that being said, this year's Madden is actually worse than last year from a COACH MODE perspective. The game, while it has some shiny things, fails on many levels from my 20 or so hours I've played thus far.

Sure, if you control all the players in offline mode, or you play online or MUT or whatever, you'll like the game and have alot of fun. But the fun for me is playing a true simulation of letting the players do their own thing.

I can't do that this year. There's just too many things wrong with the AI and it's not just the QB.

To give some quick examples:

- QB's will try to move outside of the pocket to avoid "the sense of pressure", but end up doing some sort of spin move right into a different defender for a sack.

- QB's when they actually do break away and start to run with the ball, will throw the ball right before the line of scrimmage, and what's worse...they throw it back across their body in an awkward motion usually causing an interception.

- RB's will NOT hit holes correctly. The animations of the ball carrier are so bad this year, that they will literally stop, change directions and run laterally instead of just going straight. When they run laterally, they get tackled immediately.

- Speaking of animations, the ball carrier will actually hesitate for a second, perform a juke, spin or stiff arm, and then proceed to carry out the animation. It's not fluid and very clunky to watch. They take so much time to carry out the animation that the defense is all over them by the time they do.

This is just 4 examples of gameplay that you will NOT notice if you control your players. This is happening in Coach mode or in CPU v CPU play. I know alot of people here don't care about coach mode or cpu v cpu, but I wanted to share this.

It's very frustrating but I mean I understand that this isn't on EA's list of things to do. I'm just saddened that I cannot enjoy the game for what it is because of how I actually like to play the game.

Sorry, I'm done with the rant.
While I don't play Coach Mode, I feel for you folks that do. In addition, some of what you are experiencing we CFM offline players do as well regarding AI programming. While Coach Mode is not a top feature for EA, if they put it in the game, it should be playable. Hopefully after some of the updates, some of the issues will be cleaned up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2018, 05:34 PM   #12
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Sadly, coach mode players make up like 1% of their customer base. We are a very small tiny niche market. I don't think EA will ever address coach mode. I remember back in the day on OS their community managers didn't even know what the hell coach mode even was. I hope they do fix it though, however I don't EA has ever fixed or addressed coach mode in Madden. Which is a shame because NCAA Football 14 had a pretty good coach mode.

I personally enjoy coach mode when I am tired or my hands are cramping. Also enjoy it when I just want to "coach". First time I played coach mode was back in the 1990s on some college basketball game. Been hooked ever since. Coach mode to me is a true representation of ratings only game play.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #13
Rookie

This is not just in coach mode. It seems to me playing in a combination of all pro or all madden in simulation or competitive and touching player speed threshold, triggers cpu to throw silly passes or juke thin air on 3rd and inches.

all madden+arcade is the only set up i can get the cpu to pick up rushing yards in. It wouldn't surprise me in the next few days if the slider gurus of the world come out and say we have a problem
Old 08-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #14
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusswatchraj
This is not just in coach mode. It seems to me playing in a combination of all pro or all madden in simulation or competitive and touching player speed threshold, triggers cpu to throw silly passes or juke thin air on 3rd and inches.

all madden+arcade is the only set up i can get the cpu to pick up rushing yards in. It wouldn't surprise me in the next few days if the slider gurus of the world come out and say we have a problem
You can just raise the run blocking slider and the CPU can rush for over 100 yards a game on all pro sim. I never touch the speed threshold, that been causing problems for years now.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #15
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
You can just raise the run blocking slider and the CPU can rush for over 100 yards a game on all pro sim. I never touch the speed threshold, that been causing problems for years now.
This. I essentially raised CPU run block and lowered human tackle a bit and have gotten good results. Speed threshold slider, for me at least has always had unintended consequences.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #16
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
I'm an avid coach mode, simulation freak, stats guys and I'm a firm believer and letting the players ratings carry the game, not my own skills at the game.

I have this mind set with ALL sports games, not just Madden. I'm a huge fan of OOTP and Football Manager because of it.

With that being said, this year's Madden is actually worse than last year from a COACH MODE perspective. The game, while it has some shiny things, fails on many levels from my 20 or so hours I've played thus far.

Sure, if you control all the players in offline mode, or you play online or MUT or whatever, you'll like the game and have alot of fun. But the fun for me is playing a true simulation of letting the players do their own thing.

I can't do that this year. There's just too many things wrong with the AI and it's not just the QB.

To give some quick examples:

- QB's will try to move outside of the pocket to avoid "the sense of pressure", but end up doing some sort of spin move right into a different defender for a sack.

- QB's when they actually do break away and start to run with the ball, will throw the ball right before the line of scrimmage, and what's worse...they throw it back across their body in an awkward motion usually causing an interception.

- RB's will NOT hit holes correctly. The animations of the ball carrier are so bad this year, that they will literally stop, change directions and run laterally instead of just going straight. When they run laterally, they get tackled immediately.

- Speaking of animations, the ball carrier will actually hesitate for a second, perform a juke, spin or stiff arm, and then proceed to carry out the animation. It's not fluid and very clunky to watch. They take so much time to carry out the animation that the defense is all over them by the time they do.

This is just 4 examples of gameplay that you will NOT notice if you control your players. This is happening in Coach mode or in CPU v CPU play. I know alot of people here don't care about coach mode or cpu v cpu, but I wanted to share this.

It's very frustrating but I mean I understand that this isn't on EA's list of things to do. I'm just saddened that I cannot enjoy the game for what it is because of how I actually like to play the game.

Sorry, I'm done with the rant.

I think this AI problem should be addressed and will be on the lookout for it on Tuesday to submit to the Devs via Twitter. I don’t play coach mode, but I do user only DL (because I’m a horrible player at usering, it may as well be coach mode) so I can see similar situations happening to me.

If I follow you correctly and if I had it my way those potentially pocket qbs that throw cross body should instead begin sliding, throwing out of bounds or taking 2 yards and giving themselves up. Correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »