Home

the CPU doesn't progress players based on scheme

This is a discussion on the CPU doesn't progress players based on scheme within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #41
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: the CPU doesn't progress players based on scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
Why do I feel like I remember Clint specifically saying in an interview that teams were progressing, drafting and using Free Agency to fit their schemes that they're running....

I know I remember that cause I was finally excited cause it was needed.
I also remember this

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #42
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
I'm not saying you're wrong but what is the point of schemes and archetypes if the CPU doesn't utilize them? It's basically a gimmick.
To drastically improve the progression system, which it does.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #43
Pro

GrayDawg's Arena

OVR: 0

My question is if the ratings selected are random. Is the archetype the cpu selects also random or does it select the same one week after week?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #44
Rookie

Sucram7777's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski

But you don't have a problem with how the AI interacts with this though?
Or better - "lack thereof"?
Old 08-08-2018, 11:08 PM   #45
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Schemes are just a gimmick IMO. No point at all. Also, not sure how you don't see the unfair advantage the user has over the CPU when it comes to extra XP?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2018, 12:42 AM   #46
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucram7777
But you don't have a problem with how the AI interacts with this though?
Or better - "lack thereof"?
I said it improved progression drastically. I didn't say it was the best progression system I'd ever seen. Did you not play Madden 18? Try examining the decisions the CPU made last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
Schemes are just a gimmick IMO. No point at all. Also, not sure how you don't see the unfair advantage the user has over the CPU when it comes to extra XP?
The user always has an advantage over the CPU. It's called a brain.

And frankly, no, I don't see it in this case. All of the evidence I see is that it progresses what's already highest, which in my testing, is the most efficient way progress players unless they're VERY close to being a scheme fit. Any more than 2 points, maybe 3, that's wasteful.

See the players I posted earlier. Closing the gap between archetypes takes at least twice the existing gap. So if you've got a 75 scheme vs. an 80 non-scheme, you're going to be raising the non-scheme as you raise the scheme fit. The best test case above was Leonard Fournette, who had a 2-1 ratio (note the rest weren't as favorable, so this is best case):

76/81
77/81
78/82
79/82
80/83
81/83
82/84
83/84
84/85
85/85

So 10 skill points to get a scheme fit. For a lot players, by the time they go up 10 points they've already missed most of their progression window. You could spend a season or two getting him to a scheme fit, or you could get him to a 91 non-scheme fit. You think the CPU should default to the dumb option?

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 08-09-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:13 AM   #47
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
I simmed a season, this time with manual progression enabled. default xp sliders. it took only 1 upgrade at the end of the season for me to get ronald darby, zack ertz, rodney mcleod, and sidney jones to fit the scheme. by the end of year 2 I got wentz and agholor to fit the scheme.

it didn't take long at all, and no skill points were wasted. now all those players will be gaining more XP (and they should perform better in my scheme). its hardly a waste, its a smart investment. by comparison, with the CPU handling progression, after 3 years all of those players still don't fit the scheme, and in some cases like Wentz he got even further away from the scheme fit. its a huge advantage to the user. the only thing thats a waste to me is that they made this cool new schemes feature but didn't program it so the CPU can utilize it worth a damn.

I get it, if a guy for example Derek Barnett is 81 power rusher and 73 speed rusher (the scheme fit) it might be a waste to keep boosting his speed rusher he is probably never gonna get there. but guys who are within a few points should be upgraded to match the scheme every time, thats a no brainer in my mind. and the CPU is incapable of doing it.
When it's really close, sure, but it usually isn't. Should the AI be smarter and make a choice based on circumstances? Yes. But if they had to go with one method and have the CPU stick with it, they made the right choice.

-Mark Twain.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:01 AM   #48
MVP

Maybe we have to look at this as what our coaching staff is best at developing instead of what we want to force all players to become... same for other teams.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »