Home

Anyone else seeing bad DB play?

This is a discussion on Anyone else seeing bad DB play? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #17
Blowing bubbles

Cpre5's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Anyone else seeing bad DB play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
But that is the issue I mentioned. Failure to execute always looks bad, especially in replays. People underestimate how hard it is to animate a failure to react, being in the right position, or just flailing on a play. When you slow it down, it looks awful. But we need guys to get beat.

On a side note, that is an issue in real life, too. when you use a slow motion replay, our minds recognize actions as more intentional. It makes a hit look more vicious and mean. Slow motion makes sense you are trying to see if a foot is in bounds or a knew touched the ground. But when refs use replay to decide on the severity of a hit, it is way off.

So when the behind the scenes dice roll shows that a guy got beat, the game has to, on the fly, animate his failure to make a play. It might look wonky, but it makes sense.

This is part of the uncanny valley effect of sports games now the the graphics are so good. Failure looks terrible. But you cannot have a simulation without dice rolls making a player fail a % of the time.

These are live speed, not slowed down.
And I get players being beat and the turning the wrong way, or slipping, or slow on brakes, but no way should my CB stand still, rotate 180 and then start to react.

Look at the last play with the Vikings, my CB just starts running in place and never reacts, the FS is on the receivers hip until he near the out of bounds and then slows down to a jog.

And those three plays aren't the only time I've seen them, its more 5 a game. However most of the issue seem to be around the redzone/out of bounds.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpre5
These are live speed, not slowed down.
And I get players being beat and the turning the wrong way, or slipping, or slow on brakes, but no way should my CB stand still, rotate 180 and then start to react.

Look at the last play with the Vikings, my CB just starts running in place and never reacts, the FS is on the receivers hip until he near the out of bounds and then slows down to a jog.

And those three plays aren't the only time I've seen them, its more 5 a game. However most of the issue seem to be around the redzone/out of bounds.
That's not how it works. If your DB does those things, for seemingly no reason, it will still get called out. It will look bad.

If the problem was QB completing 100% other passes because DB stand still, this would be a huge issue. But that is not close to what is happening.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:49 PM   #19
Blowing bubbles

Cpre5's Arena

Quote:
That's not how it works. If your DB does those things, for seemingly no reason, it will still get called out. It will look bad.

If the problem was QB completing 100% other passes because DB stand still, this would be a huge issue. But that is not close to what is happening.
Forgive me, but I'm not sure what your getting at, the issues in the video are fine because its just a reply and they didn't really play out like that?

In 6 straight games, I've seen my cover guys slow down near the back of the endzone and stop covering the receiver, wait for the WR to run by and then start running. Follow a guy and his route, and once the break happen, stop running, sit down, then turn and chase after him. And follow a guy into the endzone and stop, never look back, put a hand up, even move again.

Its not every play, but I should be seeing the same type of issues over and over again through out a game.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Forgive me, but I'm not sure what your getting at, the issues in the video are fine because its just a reply and they didn't really play out like that?

In 6 straight games, I've seen my cover guys slow down near the back of the endzone and stop covering the receiver, wait for the WR to run by and then start running. Follow a guy and his route, and once the break happen, stop running, sit down, then turn and chase after him. And follow a guy into the endzone and stop, never look back, put a hand up, even move again.

Its not every play, but I should be seeing the same type of issues over and over again through out a game.
Depends. Are you seeing crazy numbers of TD passes? Super high completion rates? Extremely high scoring games?

I'm saying that just because it looks bad, it doesn't mean it is broken. It means that devs struggle to make failure look realistic. For me, that's not a dealbreaker. But I grew up on baseball and reading Bill James. I never trust the eye test.

If I see a play thatI think ripped me off, I just assume it was do to x, y, or Z and move on. If I see stats off, then I will look for why.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #21
Blowing bubbles

Cpre5's Arena

Quote:
Depends. Are you seeing crazy numbers of TD passes? Super high completion rates? Extremely high scoring games?

I'm saying that just because it looks bad, it doesn't mean it is broken. It means that devs struggle to make failure look realistic. For me, that's not a dealbreaker. But I grew up on baseball and reading Bill James. I never trust the eye test.

If I see a play thatI think ripped me off, I just assume it was do to x, y, or Z and move on. If I see stats off, then I will look for why.

Every time it was a scoring play, I'm not here because I gave up a 10-20 yard pass play
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2018, 09:18 PM   #22
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
After pre-seaosn and a few game into regular season, I've seen my DBs play very poorly.

1: Standing still and rotating as the WR runs past and then chasing
2: Following the WR in the endzone and then just standing with his back to the QB and never reacting again.
3: Slowing down near out of bounds and letting the WR make a play.

Here small video of just a few plays, but I'm seeing this multiple times a game.

What's the playcall here?

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #23
Rookie

colethepilot's Arena

Yes I’m seeing some very poor behavior from star players even.

They’ll continue running for another 20-30 yards down field after being beat on a curl route.

Or just run to the endzone and leave their zones completely opened up.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Every time it was a scoring play, I'm not here because I gave up a 10-20 yard pass play
That's not an answer to what I was asking. If DBs are acting like the video on a regular basis, you would be seeing 40-50 TDs a year by average QBs. Maybe more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
What's the playcall here?
Yeah, I'm wondering if it was PA, and that was the set-up. I suppose the QB's PAC rating could have awn effect.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »