Home

Normal Dev Player Progression

This is a discussion on Normal Dev Player Progression within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Normal Dev Player Progression

How do you guys feel about progressing low-rated young players with Normal Dev trait this year - what tips/tricks/rules are you using to maximize their progression? I’m sure everyone has that one young player on their roster that they want to turn into a long term starter down the line but it seems like Normal Dev this year handcuffs you in that regard.

For my Eagles, it’s LT Jordan Mailata. Mammoth man, 21 years old, athletic with a high long term ceiling. I even feel they shorted him a bit on his athletic ratings (STR/ACC). Just has never played football. In real life, the Eagles spent a draft pick on him because they think he can be the LT of the future after Jason Peters retires. There’s a lot to work with there. But in Madden, it seems pre-determined that that’s not going to happen.

Obviously it helps to match your scheme to the players you want to progress and to focus train those players, but it just seems like that’s not ever going to be enough to turn a player like this into something.

I don’t like to edit rosters in my favor because it just always feels like cheating to me. Kind of keeps you from having rose-colored glasses syndrome on too many of your players in my opinion.

I guess I’m just a little frustrated with a small part of a great game so far. Especially since OL Dev traits apparently don’t change at all. Big shout out to Geodude for his annual Franchise Tips thread - always a great read!

TLDR; Having trouble progressing a Normal Dev player, how are you guys handling it? Looking forward to your responses!

P.S. Did you know a 2nd string OL with Normal Dev earns the same XP in training even if you promote them to starter? Don’t know if that’s a bug or on purpose...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2018, 11:57 PM   #2
Rookie

beastmode2013's Arena

Re: Normal Dev Player Progression

Depth chart position makes no difference when you train players. The only difference is game performances. And it's not just the o-line that you can't level dev traits, or any traits, you cannot level any traits for any player in the game and they decrease over time. The way the goals are for the o-line position, you will probably never develop that player into anything significant, especially on Normal development. Either edit the trait or cut bait because it's not going to happen. He MIGHT be an 80-85 before regressing around age 30 and they regress really quickly.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:33 AM   #3
Rookie

But 80-85 is absolutly ok. Not everyone in the NFL is a superstar.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:24 AM   #4
Banned

Dev trait is still dynamic..

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-17-2018, 05:47 AM   #5
Rookie

Seems OL won't progress/regress dev.

Don't know what's his overall now, but let's assume 70. If you train OL nearly every week, then he should be able to jump 2-3 points in OVR the first few seasons. At 78+ he will be at least a servicable starter in the league, maybe just what he will be. Of course he could become the next great LT in the NFL, but don't happens with maybe every 100th prospect, so it's difficult to have that in the game (that would be the rare superstar dev late round prospect).

OL progress with training, performance is a bit more difficult. But play him and have great number (= maybe pro bowl) will help. No guarantee though he will get a pro bowl nod with a low overall.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2018, 08:18 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaAut
Seems OL won't progress/regress dev.

Don't know what's his overall now, but let's assume 70. If you train OL nearly every week, then he should be able to jump 2-3 points in OVR the first few seasons. At 78+ he will be at least a servicable starter in the league, maybe just what he will be. Of course he could become the next great LT in the NFL, but don't happens with maybe every 100th prospect, so it's difficult to have that in the game (that would be the rare superstar dev late round prospect).

OL progress with training, performance is a bit more difficult. But play him and have great number (= maybe pro bowl) will help. No guarantee though he will get a pro bowl nod with a low overall.
If he doesn't play him he is more likely to make the probowl. Offensive linemen have better development opportunity riding the bench.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode2013
Depth chart position makes no difference when you train players. The only difference is game performances. And it's not just the o-line that you can't level dev traits, or any traits, you cannot level any traits for any player in the game and they decrease over time. The way the goals are for the o-line position, you will probably never develop that player into anything significant, especially on Normal development. Either edit the trait or cut bait because it's not going to happen. He MIGHT be an 80-85 before regressing around age 30 and they regress really quickly.
Depth chart position does matter, starters and second stringers get more points.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:00 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 1

i cant see how you improve a trait or add, for example throw away or balanced from undisciplined. what they are saying is a player will never learn to throw away, or learn not to grab the face mask or false start ...
not much hope for the world of youth in football then

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »