Home

I really don't like what this patch did to defensive coverage

This is a discussion on I really don't like what this patch did to defensive coverage within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #17
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I really don't like what this patch did to defensive coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Gorilla
I mean throwing to the sideline. So far, in about I'd say 15 sideline passes, 10 were overthrown, 3 the guy didn't even try for it(catchable ball), and 2 were caught.

These are wide open receivers and stepped-into passes.
Are you using the left stick to aim the pass? I noticed when I try to lead them outside, say on a 10 yard out, the pass is WAY outside. When I just hit the button and don't aim, it seems to keep the ball inbounds more often. Something about the sideline...doesn't like to be aimed at lol

Major Boise State fan
Old 08-23-2018, 09:09 PM   #18
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
I'm getting sick and tired of seeing this posted. Competitive players had no problems passing pre-patch. On what are you basing this statement?
Okay so we can agree then that coverage was good/ serviceable before the patch right? So why did they think they had to blow it up??? I don't see any casuals on this forum or EA's so that excuse goes out the window. Someone who is casual does not have the passion to post on forums. The literal definition of casual is "relaxed or unconcerned".

Who were they listening to then? It certainly wasn't the sim crowd because none of us were complaining about the coverage pre patch. I think most of us liked the fact that you had to throw to guys with a buffer between them and the defender or else they would separate you from the ball.

You can say whatever you want about the "competitive crowd", but the fact that you could run man coverage prior to the patch and your defensive backs would make an actual effort to stay with their man. Now they make absolutely no effort whatsoever to stay on their assignment. This is a problem. Whether your sim, competitive or whatever. The facts are EA did something did something with this patch that did more harm than good.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #19
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

I am not noticing this so called major coverage nerf, and it's not showing up in my league's stats. Held a team to 0 TDs until late in the 4th on Wed night running lots of man coverage. What am I missing?

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 08-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
I think the problem is that by adjusting the ability to hold on to the ball while being hit is causing the problem. I am simply able to make passes I wasn't able to make pre patch. I can now force the ball in to the receiver with the defensive back draped all over him without consequence. Where as prior to the patch I really had to read coverage and make sure there was a buffer between who was catching the ball and where the defender was. This really gave the CPU a chance and made me feel like I was quarterbacking.

I am sure they nerfed it because the competitive crowd was whining as usual. But why even have a competitive vs sim mode if you are just going to patch the game so that everything plays like competitive.

Before the patch I was happy to finish a game with a 55-58% completion percentage. Now, just last night I went 42/48 with cam newton in a full game 8 minute quarters. For comparison I was playing the giants and Eli manning went 28/30. This was not happening pre patch.

What I don't understand is he dev team spends all year (so they say) implementing new mechanics and then as soon as the competitive crowd starts whining they scrap the entire thing and make the game play like an arcade football game. I thought the whole point of having different gameplay styles (competitive/simulation/arcade) was to give the user the experience they wanted. They should really only be tuning the competitive setting and making slight bug fixes to simulation throughout the year.

Well quarter backs should complete at least 60% of their passes
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/p...edirected=true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2018, 09:43 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
I think the problem is that by adjusting the ability to hold on to the ball while being hit is causing the problem. I am simply able to make passes I wasn't able to make pre patch. I can now force the ball in to the receiver with the defensive back draped all over him without consequence. Where as prior to the patch I really had to read coverage and make sure there was a buffer between who was catching the ball and where the defender was. This really gave the CPU a chance and made me feel like I was quarterbacking.

We must be playing a different game. I just finished a game against the Vikings and my receivers combined for 14 dropped passes. Possession catches are useless because I get the ball ripped out before the animation can finish. Deandre Hopkins alone accounted for 7 of them. And this is with the user catch slider at 100 on all pro. I can't find any counter to the CPU DB's always ripping the ball out, even with one of the best receivers in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2018, 10:26 PM   #22
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
I am not noticing this so called major coverage nerf, and it's not showing up in my league's stats. Held a team to 0 TDs until late in the 4th on Wed night running lots of man coverage. What am I missing?

What I’ve observed is a noticeable difference in spot drop coverages not squeezing the routes, but rather waiting in a zone allowing a cushion to develop. The Pre-Patch logic was squeezing the hell out of slants and out patterns - making them a lot less effective. I don’t see this anymore on default like I did the first week.

Also, I haven’t been able to confirm because I don’t want to delete patch and then reinstall, but they appeared to have slowed the reaction of defenders in man coverage after the receiver breaks. It’s a pause, and then they attempt to catch up. I’d love to do a time study of the reaction times pre and post patch, but I just don’t have the energy.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:28 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'm noticing a lot of big open plays now,especially over the middle, I've caught defenders standing around or having horrible reaction time for both user and cpu teams.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:29 PM   #24
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
It can depend on quite a bit, including difficulty level and slider settings. Admittedly, I had been playing with custom sliders, but people were experiencing it with defaults too I believe. After the patch, coverage fell apart. My DB's would just basically not react, so receivers had 5 yards of separation right at the snap. I had to make adjustments to sliders. It's better overall now, but I also now rarely see the swat animation from DB's

Major Boise State fan

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »