Home

Longshot disappointment

This is a discussion on Longshot disappointment within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #9
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Longshot disappointment

Cross-posting my thoughts on Longshot: Homecoming from the launch week impressions thread, as I was not impressed either:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I actually enjoyed the original Longshot in Madden 18. However, the goodwill I have for the concept has all but evaporated, because in Longshot: Homecoming that train has gone way off the rails. The actors try their best to sell the story and all turn in reasonable performances - even Rob Schneider, who is here inexplicably - but the writing is so unbelievable, the story is so far-fetched, and the stakes are artificially raised whenever possible and in every cliche way imaginable. The story feels even more linear than last year; I couldn't find any "fail" branches. There was one particularly frustrating moment where you cannot advance the story at all until you score a punt return touchdown. It's obvious that the game scenario designers knew this was a terrible pain point because it's the only gameplay scenario in the story which offers a "skip" option if you fail it too many times. They should have just cut it. Longshot still looks great in the Frostbite engine, but that's about the only other compliment I can offer it. Don't bother with it unless you want the achievements.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #10
MVP

SuperSeahawks's Arena

OVR: 14

I only played LongShot for the MUT rewards...

PSN: SeahawkFan11OS

GT: SuperSeahawks

Twitch
Old 08-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
Played for like 10 minutes. When I got to the part to colt playing a father figure to his previously unknown sister, I basically lamed out on it. You can tell the mode was designed to cater to the pre-teen degrassi crowd. Last year it was much more focused on the aspects of football
Were there any teen vampires with make up tips?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I didn't even bother playing this mode this year. I ended up watching it on YouTube prior to release. I knew it wasn't worth playing.
I'm a big career mode player. But I don't there's a place "story modes"/campaign modes in Sports games especially when it only last 3-4 hours. Where you can do that all in one day. I only played one time last year, but this year felt like a step back. This year from what I can remember there was only one choice you could make and I think that just saying a line that had no effect.
This year it felt like was 85% story, 10% gameplay, and 5% practice. I don't think there were any mini games, nothing being learned, no variance from story line. A lot of parts of the story looked to unnecessary and forced. The whole Texans team situation was unrealistic. Antonio Brown and Bill Cowher wasn't necessary.
I don't think there will be a part 3, at least I hope there isn't. With the way this story ended, there isn't anywhere they could go from this story. Unless they plan on having Wade tearing up the league and Colt taking team to title. With the constant change up top for Madden, don't think they will waste resources for this mode next year.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:37 PM   #13
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by x Mayze x
Semi spoiler, Devin doesn't only play with the Cowboys. There are 3 NFL teams you get to play on in Longshot

Interesting.

Okay, well tell me this: Are the Eagles one of the teams? 'Cuz if not, I'm still not interested Just don't see why we weren't given the freedom to put Wade on the team of our choice...

Last edited by iLLWiLL; 08-23-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #14
MVP

jerwoods's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL
Interesting.

Okay, well tell me this: Are the Eagles one of the teams? 'Cuz if not, I'm still not interested Just don't see why we weren't given the freedom to put Wade on the team of our choice...
no dal hou colt with mia
Old 08-23-2018, 08:12 PM   #15
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerwoods
no dal hou colt with mia
Which leaves out the die-hard fans of the 28 other NFL teams

If Longshot didn't already seem like a waste of resources (that could have gone to gameplay or franchise improvements), then limiting the mode to fans of only 4 teams doesn't help that perception.

Last edited by iLLWiLL; 08-23-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2018, 08:20 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 4

I don't like stories in sports games, never have. Didn't even touch 'The One' mode in live 18 last year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »