Home

Passing Tips and Reading Defenses

This is a discussion on Passing Tips and Reading Defenses within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 08-25-2018, 10:49 PM   #1
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9
Passing Tips and Reading Defenses

Hi all,

Despite my avatar, passing has been a thorn in my side for a while now. I play on Pro mode. I'm really tired of a player looking open only to have a DB jump in front of it. And I'm like, "Where did that $%#$!@ come from?!" Then of course Gaudin & Davis proceed to rub my face in it for the next 30 seconds with some variation of "boy that was dangerous throwing into coverage" which prompts me to turn off commentary.

I try going through the Training Camp playing against coverages, but it's pretty useless because it basically tells you where and who to throw to, and has those nice glowing boxes. I'm trying to figure out...

1. How can I tell pre-snap what defense they're going to run?
2. How do I know if my called play will work, or what my "progression" is and what if anything should I audible to?
3. I know that some people say post-snap reads to account for disguised coverage, but... easier said than done, it all happens so fast! Even running on "very slow" speed, it's too fast to be useful. They should have in practice mode, a half-speed option.

I've started to record my practice sessions so that I can go through the plays in slow motion afterwards, but any tips and suggestions on how to train for this? I don't use the filmrooms/playbooks anymore because all of them are too focused on "money". I don't want to "dominate" online gameplay, I just want to not throw 5 ints per game.

Thx!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2018, 11:29 PM   #2
Rookie

PhillyFan22's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Passing Tips and Reading Defenses

Simplify your playbook and always have something like a flat route or a drag route underneath as your check down. This will let you make one read and if not there dump it off. It's okay to not gain anything or only a couple, happens more than not in the NFL.

You can stick to simple pass concepts like slants, drive, stick, curls and just get your timing down in practice. These plays will allow you to just read a portion of the field, for example with slant flats, pick your side you feel comfortable with and read your slant/flat interaction and make your throw quick. Trying to read all 4 or 5 routes will not work. I always start every game with a running play from under center and then the next play go with a play action with an easy read like a dump off to flat to FB or TE. This just helps me settle into a nice rhythm timing wise.

Something everyone should do learn how to adjust your protection. This is a must for play action passes with rollouts in my opinion. If you see the defense overloads or is blitzing a certain side slide your protection right or left to pick it up. Also keep your running back into block if needed. Work on this in practice to get your timing down as well. Call plays and identify pressure pre-snap, after the snap don't throw and just work on staying in pocket like the old PS2 Madden pocket presence drill. Eventually you will be able to not even look at rush and just have a "feel" for it from experience.

Also, when I first started playing Madden I got so used to using a mobile QB with McNabb and Vick. If you are already going into practice mode pick a team that has a statue of a QB so you aren't subconsciously going to run. Then as your passing abilities increase adding Wilson's running dimension will be like a cheat code when the play breaks down lol.

Edit: Are you on PS4/Xbox or PC?

Last edited by PhillyFan22; 08-25-2018 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Added stuff
Old 08-26-2018, 12:24 AM   #3
Rookie

EmmaKaye's Arena

I agree with what PhillyFan said but wanted to add that you need to ensure you use all your different throw types. If you're throwing deep use L2/LT, if you're throwing between linebackers and DBs then double tap the receiver's button for a touch pass. These can make a really big difference in the outcome of a game.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #4
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaKaye
I agree with what PhillyFan said but wanted to add that you need to ensure you use all your different throw types. If you're throwing deep use L2/LT, if you're throwing between linebackers and DBs then double tap the receiver's button for a touch pass. These can make a really big difference in the outcome of a game.
Why would you low point a pass on a deep ball?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 08-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12

It isn't a good tactic in M19 from what I've seen so far, but in M18 it would ensure that AI defenders would not react to the pass.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
Pro

servo75's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12

Either I'm pressing the wrong buttons, or "low" or "high" doesn't appear on the screen during the pass. I've always thought that there was a choice: low, high, bullet, lob, or touch. You couldn't, for example, say "high and lob".
Old 08-26-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
Pro

servo75's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan22
Simplify your playbook and always have something like a flat route or a drag route underneath as your check down. This will let you make one read and if not there dump it off. It's okay to not gain anything or only a couple, happens more than not in the NFL.

You can stick to simple pass concepts like slants, drive, stick, curls and just get your timing down in practice. These plays will allow you to just read a portion of the field, for example with slant flats, pick your side you feel comfortable with and read your slant/flat interaction and make your throw quick. Trying to read all 4 or 5 routes will not work. I always start every game with a running play from under center and then the next play go with a play action with an easy read like a dump off to flat to FB or TE. This just helps me settle into a nice rhythm timing wise.

Something everyone should do learn how to adjust your protection. This is a must for play action passes with rollouts in my opinion. If you see the defense overloads or is blitzing a certain side slide your protection right or left to pick it up. Also keep your running back into block if needed. Work on this in practice to get your timing down as well. Call plays and identify pressure pre-snap, after the snap don't throw and just work on staying in pocket like the old PS2 Madden pocket presence drill. Eventually you will be able to not even look at rush and just have a "feel" for it from experience.

Also, when I first started playing Madden I got so used to using a mobile QB with McNabb and Vick. If you are already going into practice mode pick a team that has a statue of a QB so you aren't subconsciously going to run. Then as your passing abilities increase adding Wilson's running dimension will be like a cheat code when the play breaks down lol.

Edit: Are you on PS4/Xbox or PC?

Thanks a lot!! . P.S. I'm on PS4 (for now).
Old 08-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75
Either I'm pressing the wrong buttons, or "low" or "high" doesn't appear on the screen during the pass. I've always thought that there was a choice: low, high, bullet, lob, or touch. You couldn't, for example, say "high and lob".
You do a high lob by simultaneously holding LB or L1 and tapping the corresponding receiver button. If you want to do a high bullet then hold LB or L1 and press the corresponding receiver button, etc.

The game gives you a variety of options as far as ball placement goes. QB ratings, both accuracy and power, have a huge effect on how they all work so it's going to be somewhat difficult to give general advice especially if you use boutique settings like adjusted sliders or edited rosters.

In this year's game I've found the most success throwing high passes when my receiver is already behind the defender. This would be something like a fade where my receiver has the DB beat, and there's no safety help in sight, so I'm going to throw up a high ball and let my guy run under it.

Conversely I've had the most success throwing low on routes like hitches and curls where my receiver is typically in front of the defender. This allows you to get the "box out" effect and it prevents the DB from making a play by coming through your receiver.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »