Home

Play the Moments - Do Defensive Ratings Even Matter?

This is a discussion on Play the Moments - Do Defensive Ratings Even Matter? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2018, 10:05 PM   #1
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

OVR: 0
Play the Moments - Do Defensive Ratings Even Matter?

So, I’ve recently started using “Play The Moments” due to my diminishing time to play these days. It’s awesome except that I’ve started to notice an odd and consistent pattern when playing: the CPU will comeback regardless of team ratings.

I play as the Jaguars, which has possibly the best passing defense across the board; however, that doesn’t seem to matter to the sim engine...like at all. I’ve played around 40 play the moments games and the simulation portion will consistently let the other team back in it regardless of offensive ratings - while getting beat through the air specifically. My team is 29th in the league in yards allowed while having the best pass defense you could possibly afford. Remember this is mostly simulated so no user input.

I could see the logic behind rubber-banding the score as that allows more critical moments for the user to play, but it’s terrible for roster management. Why would I put any money in defense if I know that it doesn’t matter.

Anyone have any other similar experiences with this mode?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Play the Moments - Do Defensive Ratings Even Matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBreaker35
So, I’ve recently started using “Play The Moments” due to my diminishing time to play these days. It’s awesome except that I’ve started to notice an odd and consistent pattern when playing: the CPU will comeback regardless of team ratings.

I play as the Jaguars, which has possibly the best passing defense across the board; however, that doesn’t seem to matter to the sim engine...like at all. I’ve played around 40 play the moments games and the simulation portion will consistently let the other team back in it regardless of offensive ratings - while getting beat through the air specifically. My team is 29th in the league in yards allowed while having the best pass defense you could possibly afford. Remember this is mostly simulated so no user input.

I could see the logic behind rubber-banding the score as that allows more critical moments for the user to play, but it’s terrible for roster management. Why would I put any money in defense if I know that it doesn’t matter.

Anyone have any other similar experiences with this mode?

I've been using this mode exclusively for the last three years and haven't noticed anything like that. Admittedly I haven't played a ton yet this year so I will keep an eye on it. But so far so good for me.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:40 AM   #3
MVP

One thing to remember when doing ptm versus just advancing the week whi h i believe to still be true is your playbook and formation subs is used. So make sure your gameplan is what you want to be called. It is difficult for me because i call my own decensive game and have formations set up for specific purposes, downs and distances. When you have 43 under set up as a heavy run stopping set and the cpu is calling it when running situations are not obvious it can hurt.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:04 AM   #4
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8

I have a franchise where I'm only controlling the QB (under coach mode so I can also affect the rosters), and so I play offense-only for that league, super-simming the rest, and I can tell you there's a big difference in production between having a mediocre defense and a great one.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
MVP

saintrules's Arena

I haven't played Madden 19, but in Madden 17 & 18 my defensive ratings definitely mattered. I was also using the Jags and as my defensive ability grew, so did my results.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2018, 11:30 AM   #6
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

I did PTM during my last 2 preseason games. I didn't notice any comeback or anything like that in mine. I lost the first but was trailing all game, the second I was winning all game and actually pulled away. Granted, that's only 2 games.

Major Boise State fan
Old 08-31-2018, 11:47 AM   #7
MVP

Also, make sure whatever quarter length and run off is giving you the right number of plays. Too many plays equal too many yards.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:33 PM   #8
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
Also, make sure whatever quarter length and run off is giving you the right number of plays. Too many plays equal too many yards.

Yeah, I’m averaging 123 plays which is fine I believe. Had to switch to 12 min quarters which is strange as I thought they designed it to scale the number of plays to the quarter length regardless but I digress.

I’m going to play about 6 games today and dig into the results and see what’s driving my experience. Everyone else seems to be having a different experience than me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »