Home

Watching games yesterday shows me we reaaaaally need updated playbooks

This is a discussion on Watching games yesterday shows me we reaaaaally need updated playbooks within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Watching games yesterday shows me we reaaaaally need updated playbooks

RPO's is a big thing in a lot of offenses in the NFL now. Madden is already behind 3 years on this and shows no interest in catching up.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
Rookie

The RPO seems like it would be easy to implement. Just run it like an option play and press A/X during the play action animation to hand it off and if you dont the QB pulls it up to pass and the WR just run their routes until they see what you do as well.

One other thing I've notice is I dont think there are any defenses in madden that run stunts or twist which play a huge role in getting pressure on the QB.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #11
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

I still don't get why certain plays/formations are playbook locked. There are a bunch of plays even in NCAA that are now in the NFL that are inexplicably not added. And that's just on offense. The defense is so unbelievably shallow that 2k5 still has more depth. Why the line play and back 7 are still linked is beyond me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2018, 03:04 AM   #12
Pro

d23x's Arena

Totally agree with you. I tried making a playbook yesterday for the Rams & it’s just not good. You watch the RL Rams & Chiefs and then play Madden & it’s just night & day with the offensive plays. Bought this game looking forward to it but I am surely regretting it after so many issues & this as well. I just want a real sim experience.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:32 AM   #13
Rookie

Pick up a copy of Madden 15 or 16 and you'll see how many passing plays we have lost over the years.

It is disturbing how much variety we have lost. We need about 3000 more plays in order to get to a place where gamers are developing schemes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsabol715
Would love more plays. More diversity. Too many playbooks feel too similar. I find myself in a lull some games. I also feel going through formations or types of plays is too “clunky” mid-game. I wish it was easier to get a diverse type of run/pass plays on one screen at the same time.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:51 AM   #14
MVP

tru11's Arena

probably because they dont care about the sim crowd.

majority of the players run just a few money plays anyways....
Old 09-12-2018, 09:34 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
probably because they dont care about the sim crowd.

majority of the players run just a few money plays anyways....
This...

It's so funny to me that it seems members of the dev team resent the idea that we believe they don't care about sim players, but at every turn for the last few years they have shown us that they really don't care. Franchise mode hasn't been updated significantly for years and is still not close to what it was over a decade ago now (let alone close to what Head Coach 11 was) and so many things about gameplay have been neutered to make competitive play more functional while ruining sim players.

I miss NCAA where they were more focused on the college football experience. I loved the ability to make completely different play styles based on playbooks. In that game you could make the old Osborne Nebraska option run, or the Malzone spread option, you could Air raid, you could pro style, you could pistol.

In madden you can basically run single back and spread. They took out a ton of QB runs (and neutered the ones left). They took out ALL of the jet sweeps (we saw like 100 of those this weekend in the real NFL). There is minimal motion or formation shifting. The game feels more like Street Fighter than a sports game because they have broken it down to competitive parts to make it more predictable and strategic for humans to match up, but they've killed the creativity.

That's not sim. They don't care about sim. They can say that as much as they won't but until they put they're money where their mouth is I'm going to not believe them. This may be my last madden. I've been on this site since I was in undergrad waaaaay back in like 2001. I've bought EVERY madden on day one since 1997 and played every one since 1989. But I'm too old and too busy with real life to have my fantasy and fun time be so frustrating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #16
MVP

How many years has qb rushing been messed up? Punting? It is not a sim of the nfl last year and it is not a sim of the future of the nfl. This game sucks in a lot of ways though i find myself enjoying it more than the last couple of years. I do have to keep changing my playbook to keep it interesting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »