Home

Watching games yesterday shows me we reaaaaally need updated playbooks

This is a discussion on Watching games yesterday shows me we reaaaaally need updated playbooks within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Watching games yesterday shows me we reaaaaally need updated playbooks

Anthony White is actually really on top of the x’s and o’s aspect of football.. he’s not same game developer who happens to code football, he’s actually a student of the game...

I think the issue is either or maybe all of the following

A) The MUT/h2h crowd won’t use it and traditionally madden football is different then nfl football

B)the game engine can’t account for things like shift/motion on both sides of the ball properly leading to exploits

Because madden isn’t in the same realm of strategically play calling as real life and I don’t think it ever can/will be
Old 09-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 5

Madden needs to work on forcing the user to use an entire playbook, rather than searching for the handful of money plays that get used over and over and over again.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #19
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

OVR: 0

They said they have the ability to update plays and celebrations this year, in addition to the commentary.

Obviously we don't know how many plays will be added though.

The biggest issue with create a play or complex plays in general is getting all the players to read, react, execute correctly... Every time. I'd rather them have plays that work, instead of a ton of plays we see in the NFL, but they don't work.

Heck, I can't even run a WR end around out of strong I close without my QB standing there with the ball glitching inside his hand.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-13-2018, 04:43 PM   #20
Just started!

I would like to see the formation set the Bears used with the 3 RBs against the Packers on Sunday.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:24 PM   #21
Pro

Haze88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datninja619
Heck, I can't even run a WR end around out of strong I close without my QB standing there with the ball glitching inside his hand.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Operation Sports mobile app
Half the endarounds period don't work. Even some straight handoffs are glitched
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #22
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Oh lord, don't get me started. Every game I watch live football it causes me to identify more of what's wrong with Madden and I play less and less. From the plays that do not work to the CPU defensive pursuit which allows the slowest defender to catch the fastest ball carrier.

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 09-13-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:05 PM   #23
Rookie

Fours's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by franko3219
Madden needs to work on forcing the user to use an entire playbook, rather than searching for the handful of money plays that get used over and over and over again.
This is the terrible video game logic that got these playbooks into the mess they are.

If a concept works against a certain defence and your opponent doesn't adjust. Why should your play become less effective? If a play attacks bad defensive matchups, why reward the offence for puting their team into worse matchups?

True "Money plays" should definitely be balanced, but I see a lot of players putting their team in terrible spots and blaming the game for not bailing them out.

Also, while NFL teams can have playbooks with several hundred plays, they select a ready-list based on gameplanning for game week that usually drops that number to a core group of 15ish, and a full scope still less than 40.

Rewarding Madden players for trying to utilize the entire playbook is not based in reality.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #24
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fours
This is the terrible video game logic that got these playbooks into the mess they are.

If a concept works against a certain defence and your opponent doesn't adjust. Why should your play become less effective? If a play attacks bad defensive matchups, why reward the offence for puting their team into worse matchups?

True "Money plays" should definitely be balanced, but I see a lot of players putting their team in terrible spots and blaming the game for not bailing them out.

Also, while NFL teams can have playbooks with several hundred plays, they select a ready-list based on gameplanning for game week that usually drops that number to a core group of 15ish, and a full scope still less than 40.

Rewarding Madden players for trying to utilize the entire playbook is not based in reality.
I’m not referring to plays that work because you’ve figured out how to beat your opponent’s scheme, and are exploiting the weakness. I’m talking about, as you mentioned, “true money plays”. The plays, where no matter the opponent, or play run against it, that it works. There may be schemes that opponents cannot stop, but in today’s day and age, you can’t be predictable. You can wear a defense down and run on them in the 4th, I get all of that, but an nfl team runs more than four or five different plays a game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »