Home

I'm convinced that RPM only works for user controlled players

This is a discussion on I'm convinced that RPM only works for user controlled players within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
I'm convinced that RPM only works for user controlled players

As much as I've enjoyed this years game, there are a lot of nagging issues that break immersion and cause frustration with the game. The number one thing being that as far as I can tell, only certain players on the field seem to be affected by RPM.

Specifically, I see a ton of sliding, and a complete lack of momentum for ai controlded defenders. I think this is probably one of the main reasons why the read option doesn't work this year----> https://forums.operationsports.com/f...on-broken.html

It's clear when seeing players come blocked off the edge in backside pursuit and when watching defenders change direction in zone coverage that defensive players are not required to plant and push off with many penalties to their speed. That weird and heavy shift in direction that running backs make when they try to change direction too suddenly that often sends them flying into a tackle...that NEVER happens to defenders. There is no equivalent to it.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it at all possible that we could advocate for some tuning to this in the November patch?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: I'm convinced that RPM only works for user controlled players

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
As much as I've enjoyed this years game, there are a lot of nagging issues that break immersion and cause frustration with the game. The number one thing being that as far as I can tell, only certain players on the field seem to be affected by RPM.

Specifically, I see a ton of sliding, and a complete lack of momentum for ai controlded defenders. I think this is probably one of the main reasons why the read option doesn't work this year----> https://forums.operationsports.com/f...on-broken.html

It's clear when seeing players come blocked off the edge in backside pursuit and when watching defenders change direction in zone coverage that defensive players are not required to plant and push off with many penalties to their speed. That weird and heavy shift in direction that running backs make when they try to change direction too suddenly that often sends them flying into a tackle...that NEVER happens to defenders. There is no equivalent to it.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it at all possible that we could advocate for some tuning to this in the November patch?
I've been saying as much since the game has dropped. In the passing game when facing a zone defense I would make throws at times anticipating that a defender running to his left would be vulnerable to a player running to this right and throw it there only to see the defender reverse direction and at times get a speed burst and stay step for step with the guy running with a guy in full sprint. If it's a user our defender would have to plant before cutting in the other direction and would lose some steps as we tried to regain top speed. Majority of my picks still come from misreading that situation expecting RPM to be a factor on CPU defense.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

I'm convinced that even user defenders aren't affected by RPM...at least not like they were in the beta.

Gotta be all about them "stick skillz".
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 10-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by threattonature
I've been saying as much since the game has dropped. In the passing game when facing a zone defense I would make throws at times anticipating that a defender running to his left would be vulnerable to a player running to this right and throw it there only to see the defender reverse direction and at times get a speed burst and stay step for step with the guy running with a guy in full sprint. If it's a user our defender would have to plant before cutting in the other direction and would lose some steps as we tried to regain top speed. Majority of my picks still come from misreading that situation expecting RPM to be a factor on CPU defense.

They do get a speed burst if they are strafing in zone and cut towards the receiver. It’s the one-cut counter to the ball carrier one-cut. It’s more useful in pass defense though.

I even get the cpu with it when they attempt to go empty verticals. I leave their TE uncovered and control the 3REC defender on the weak side but at the snap I strafe and burst to his inside shoulder in trail technique. The QB throws an easy interception because the ball doesn’t have any air under it. Another problem for another topic.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by threattonature
Completely agree. The most annoying thing for me is a corner running deep with a WR on a streak, I throw a crossing route underneath him and he immediately turns and "glides" back to cover the route, sometimes even being able to pick it off if it's a corner like Jalen Ramsey.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14

It's frustrating to say the least, and not just because you feel cheated, but because it looks awful and as you said kills immersion. Add to that the times where animations play out so that physics seems to influence everyone involved in the play and the result is a less predictable, organic looking and feeling outcome - quite frustrating.

I don't know how they coded RPM or defender ball pursuit logic, but I think an acceptable solution to a few issues is to definitely tone down or adjust the latter. It seems that in any situation where the ball is 'up for grabs' if you will, defenders, at all costs, will seemingly obey what can only be a programmed prime directive to gain possession or deflect said ball. In doing so they ignore important things such as individual traits, individual ratings, NFL rules, any and all laws of physics (clipping, speed issues, direction changes, etc.) and even physics within their own universe/engine. Offensive players can also experience this in tip situations but in my experience it isn't quite as bad and certainly doesn't happen as often. If they could just scale that prime directive back the game would be a lot better and it would solve (or at least mask) a lot of other issues.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

It's likely a conflict between the defenders initiating a scripted animation by chance but then conflicting with the physics of RPM which causes unnatural motions, warping, sliding, etc...

They need to abandon scripted gameplay and switch to a physics only engine run by RPM.

But they won't do that. Too much effort and money for them to shell out when they can just take over the coding and scripts from previous games.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #8
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngofny
Completely agree. The most annoying thing for me is a corner running deep with a WR on a streak, I throw a crossing route underneath him and he immediately turns and "glides" back to cover the route, sometimes even being able to pick it off if it's a corner like Jalen Ramsey.
The infamous guy no look S jumping backwards to catch an INT?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »