Home

SGO Video: Does Height Matter? (Hint: It doesn't)

This is a discussion on SGO Video: Does Height Matter? (Hint: It doesn't) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2018, 11:14 PM   #49
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: SGO Video: Does Height Matter? (Hint: It doesn't)

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Save your breath. The court of (forum) opinion has been settled. None of the ratings matter now besides CIT.

Seriously it's mind boggling to me how a post saying a bunch of ratings don't matter gets the most likes in a thread. When clearly there are many alarming issues with this testing and that it doesn't even prove that these other ratings don't work or matter much. Mainly shows to me people didn't properly understand what each rating does or misvalued them.

Like I understand hating a game like Madden and wanting to bash it any chance you get to let out your frustration. (No like I really do get it, I was even banned from here when I was younger due to not forming my criticisms constructively).

But even so, I don't get how people can even subjectively watch the video and jump to those conclusions.

This site has so many issues with people jumping to conclusions on falty data and people spreading misinformation that hasn't been proven, but people taking it as gospel because someone with their own slider thread says so.

Of course I don't expect people to have a whole peer reviewed scientific test for a stupid video game. But people can at least acknowledge if something is completely opposite of something a Dev said or opposite of common sense, like spectacular catch rating not mattering for example. You can atleast state it as "I don't feel like spectacular catch matters much". Stating it doesn't matter at all is just a falsehood.
One thing I believe you're missing -- and a good reason why there are so many theories on ratings/sliders and which ones matter -- is the fact that EA does very little in explaining any of it.

Take SIE San Diego and what they do w/ MLB The Show, for example. There are numerous videos detailing what ratings actually do, and more importantly, how they affect other ratings. All backed up and verified by the devs in their own videos. Plus, they have an in-game strategy guide w/ over 20 pages worth of in-depth explanations/tips/game strategies for nearly ever mechanism and feature in their game. People don't have to theorize what sliders/ratings do because the devs have already explained, at one point or another, just how they actually operate.

EA, on the other hand, does not do this. Sure, they give us "Skills Trainer" -- but that's only rudimentary knowledge. All they do is show you how to do something at a basic level and nothing about why something works and when to properly use them (i.e. "defend this inside run" with the plays we give you, while excluding any information on which situations would be best suited for such play).

Here's 3 different catch types. Use them for Aggro, RAC, and Possession catches. Here's a Spectacular Catch rating. Raise this if you want your receiver to make catches that look spectacular! Just run this 4 verts play if you wanna beat a Cover 2 (or whichever cover concept it's supposed to beat).

Every single year, it's a guessing game w/ the community about what affects what. It's also mostly back to the drawing board, as well -- because when EA adds anything new to game, chances are it'll discreetly (at the least) alter another facet of the game. All of this is compounded by the fact that EA fails to provide us anything of substance they can't fit into 1-2 sentences, while leaving US playing 21 questions with each other.

How long did it take the community to figure out "one-cut" affected defensive players, as well? When have they ever explained traits such as High Motor, outside of a simple explanation that says "High Motor means players will make extraordinary plays he otherwise would'nt have made"?

You ask why people are so quick to take slider/content makers at their word?

It's because they have no other choice. People who create sliders/rosters up here do extensive testing before posting and detail these findings w/ an in-depth explanation. EA just gives you 1-2 sentences on how something works, and leaves it at that.

So, I ask -- would people be so quick to trust content creators about the mechanics in Madden and how features actually work if EA would just explain it themselves, in-depth, like San Diego does w/ The Show?

Last edited by bigd51; 10-16-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:32 PM   #50
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
One thing I believe you're missing -- and a good reason why there are so many theories on ratings/sliders and which ones matter -- is the fact that EA does very little in explaining any of it.

Take SIE San Diego and what they do w/ MLB The Show, for example. There are numerous videos detailing what ratings actually do, and more importantly, how they affect other ratings. All backed up and verified by the devs in their own videos. Plus, they have an in-game strategy guide w/ over 20 pages worth of in-depth explanations/tips/game strategies for nearly ever mechanism and feature in their game. People don't have to theorize what sliders/ratings do because the devs have already explained, at one point or another, just how they actually operate.

EA, on the other hand, does not do this. Sure, they give us "Skills Trainer" -- but that's only rudimentary knowledge. All they do is show you how to do something at a basic level and nothing about why something works and when to properly use them (i.e. "defend this inside run" with the plays we give you, while excluding any information on which situations would be best suited for such play).

Here's 3 different catch types. Use them for Aggro, RAC, and Possession catches. Here's a Spectacular Catch rating. Raise this if you want your receiver to make catches that look spectacular! Just run this 4 verts play if you wanna beat a Cover 2 (or whichever cover concept it's supposed to beat).

Every single year, it's a guessing game w/ the community about what affects what. It's also mostly back to the drawing board, as well -- because when EA adds anything new to game, chances are it'll discreetly (at the least) alter another facet of the game. All of this is compounded by the fact that EA fails to provide us anything of substance they can't fit into 1-2 sentences, while leaving US playing 21 questions with each other.

How long did it take the community to figure out "one-cut" affected defensive players, as well? When have they ever explained traits such as High Motor, outside of a simple explanation that says "High Motor means players will make extraordinary plays he otherwise would'nt have made"?

You ask why people are so quick to take slider/content makers at their word?

It's because they have no other choice. People who create sliders/rosters up here do extensive testing before posting and detail these findings w/ an in-depth explanation. EA just gives you 1-2 sentences on how something works, and leaves it at that.

So, I ask -- would people be so quick to trust content creators about the mechanics in Madden and how features actually work if EA would just explain it themselves, in-depth, like San Diego does w/ The Show?
You are 100% right my man. EA actually taking time to explain this stuff to us way more in depth would cut down a lot of this stuff. But alas I really doubt they care to explain it to us. Heck you'd probably have to have some of the coders remind themselves of what each thing does.

There was a thread a while back on here about some guy saying he had improved cpu playcalling by turning off OPI and DPI. I'm not trying to bash the guy, but come on now, I knew the second I read that it wasn't true. Granted the guy even mentioned it could be placebo so that's something I greatly appreciated. But man I took 3 years of CS in HS and 1 in college. Which really isn't that much, but when coding a videogame when would you be deciding the cpu playcalling and then throw in a variable for if there is pass interference in the game or not. I understand some people will say 'legacy code' but at some point that's just not a possibility.

Fortunately people tested out his theory and told him it wasn't true, but I find it hard to believe someone would think that was the fix in the first place.

But yeah bigd51, you are 100% right that most of what I have gripes with are a product of EA not giving us good information on their game. And our communities hunger to make this game better (just misguided at times).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2018, 11:44 PM   #51
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
You are 100% right my man. EA actually taking time to explain this stuff to us way more in depth would cut down a lot of this stuff. But alas I really doubt they care to explain it to us. Heck you'd probably have to have some of the coders remind themselves of what each thing does.

There was a thread a while back on here about some guy saying he had improved cpu playcalling by turning off OPI and DPI. I'm not trying to bash the guy, but come on now, I knew the second I read that it wasn't true. Granted the guy even mentioned it could be placebo so that's something I greatly appreciated. But man I took 3 years of CS in HS and 1 in college. Which really isn't that much, but when coding a videogame when would you be deciding the cpu playcalling and then throw in a variable for if there is pass interference in the game or not. I understand some people will say 'legacy code' but at some point that's just not a possibility.

Fortunately people tested out his theory and told him it wasn't true, but I find it hard to believe someone would think that was the fix in the first place.

But yeah bigd51, you are 100% right that most of what I have gripes with are a product of EA not giving us good information on their game. And our communities hunger to make this game better (just misguided at times).

Luckily, Carlos Guerrero has already laid out in an interview their goal of being "more transparent and engaged" w/ the community going further.

Of course, I can only hope he's telling the truth. At this point w/ Madden, it's a case of "I'll see it when I see it". Just how much communication they'd have remains to be seen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2018, 12:20 AM   #52
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
Luckily, Carlos Guerrero has already laid out in an interview their goal of being "more transparent and engaged" w/ the community going further.

Of course, I can only hope he's telling the truth. At this point w/ Madden, it's a case of "I'll see it when I see it". Just how much communication they'd have remains to be seen.
Carlos Guerrero is not with EA anymore.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:21 AM   #53
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

This video is hilarious.

But yes I assumed it was common knowledge in the community that height and weight are purely aesthetic.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:19 AM   #54
MVP

Koosa1027's Arena

Quote:

I still believe that EA has no clue what their sliders do, I mean why should we have to profile delete after every single slider tick we make and if we don't the game gets out of whack. I honestly think some of the guys in these forums know more about madden than the devs.

~Koosa10:27~
SIM is a MINDSET...Don't cheat the game and you'll get better results ~Koosa10:27~
Old 10-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #55
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koosa1027
I still believe that EA has no clue what their sliders do, I mean why should we have to profile delete after every single slider tick we make and if we don't the game gets out of whack. I honestly think some of the guys in these forums know more about madden than the devs.

I mean I've never had to do that personally and neither have other to get sliders to work after a patch.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #56
MVP

Koosa1027's Arena

Quote:
I mean I've never had to do that personally and neither have other to get sliders to work after a patch.

I wish I never had to but there are plenty of people that have.

SIM is a MINDSET...Don't cheat the game and you'll get better results ~Koosa10:27~

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »