Home

SGO Video: Does Height Matter? (Hint: It doesn't)

This is a discussion on SGO Video: Does Height Matter? (Hint: It doesn't) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2018, 05:37 PM   #65
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: SGO Video: Does Height Matter? (Hint: It doesn't)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
I, for one, am *SHOCKED* that the game would not animate well when testing the boundaries of both physical and skill attributes at the same time. Never would have guessed that.
However it proves the video right in that regardless of what 2 players are placed in the chosen animation the result is always the same. Thus 5'6 Tarik Cohen can Moss 6'3 Richard Sherman with a successful dice roll which is absurd.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #66
Rookie

Kentaurus's Arena

OVR: 0

Okay so I went out and tested the game, the way this should be done, same base WR tested at 7'0 and at 5'5 against the same unedited DB. The testing was simply done using I-Form Pro "PA Max Protect" (throwing to the strong side WR) against 3-4 Cover 1 Hole which ensures 1v1 coverage deep down the field for a lob pass. The release time also nearly the same every attempt, with the throw coming just after he sets his feet following the PA.

The results indicate height does matter, but not for the expected reason. The number of completions in both cases was very low. The difference was the incompletion results.

The 7'0 WR had most of the passes dropped in a contested catch scenario, and only a very rare pass intercepted (most interceptions were actually caught by the FS after taking a deflection).

The 5'5 WR had far more passes intercepted, and only a handful of drops as he struggled to get to the ball in many cases. The CB had a much larger amount of interceptions compared to only a few for the FS.

TLDR:
Tall and short catch ~ same number. Tall has more awkward animations and drops, short more INTs.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #67
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze88
However it proves the video right in that regardless of what 2 players are placed in the chosen animation the result is always the same. Thus 5'6 Tarik Cohen can Moss 6'3 Richard Sherman with a successful dice roll which is absurd.
This confuses me greatly - what is absurd about it? If it is truly absurd, why are there any corners <6'5 in the league (the real one)? Presumably they would never ever be able to defend the pass.

Notably, as Ramsey has pointed out, Gronk performs more poorly against corners (tend to be shorter) than linebackers. Obviously there are more variables at play.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #68
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASZEMPLE
Of course height doesn’t matter, since madden 16 with introduction of 3 catch type and them trying to do WR-DB interaction, it resulted in two man catching animations that don’t take into account player positioning, weight, momentum and height. They decided this was a smart idea, it should of never been introduced into the game. Made the game feel completely inorganic and contrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Don't go trying to get rid of the catch types... We need then just like the new route running ratings to differentiate players even more from each other..

Old 10-20-2018, 01:25 AM   #69
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by raypace1
Don't go trying to get rid of the catch types... We need then just like the new route running ratings to differentiate players even more from each other..

They aren't going anywhere. Without possession catches the game would be even more of a fumble-fest than it is now.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:57 AM   #70
Rookie

TrustTheProcess's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royerrulz
This confuses me greatly - what is absurd about it? If it is truly absurd, why are there any corners <6'5 in the league (the real one)? Presumably they would never ever be able to defend the pass.

Notably, as Ramsey has pointed out, Gronk performs more poorly against corners (tend to be shorter) than linebackers. Obviously there are more variables at play.
There are no 6'5 corners because those are called wide receivers. And plus the average corner is getting taller every year. Gronk does worse against corners because they have better ball skills then linebackers.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #71
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustTheProcess
There are no 6'5 corners because those are called wide receivers. And plus the average corner is getting taller every year. Gronk does worse against corners because they have better ball skills then linebackers.

It's likely that we'll continue to see bigger/faster corners in the future. The league is changing and offense is king. Cultivating better db talent will be necessary. In 20 years they will probably play like they do in Madden now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #72
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BegBy
It's likely that we'll continue to see bigger/faster corners in the future. The league is changing and offense is king. Cultivating better db talent will be necessary. In 20 years they will probably play like they do in Madden now.
20 years into the future, the NFL won't look like anything we can predict now in my opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »