Home

New CPU Drafting Logic

This is a discussion on New CPU Drafting Logic within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2018, 07:55 AM   #9
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: New CPU Drafting Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzaa
Seems like they half assed fixing the draft by having only QBs fall.
That's what I'm seeing to, there are too many QB's falling way too late in the draft. Then a lot of times I am seeing them picked up by a team that just recently drafted a QB in the last couple of years. Early 1st round talent QBs are going all the way in to the 3rd - 4th round many times.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #10
All Star

UFCMPunk's Arena

OVR: 0

Just thought I post this video here, Deuce did a video simulating 10 years in CFM with the new draft logic. It seems to me the one and constant issue that remains with AI Draft Logic is the Bills drafting a QB because the player had a higher OVR than Josh Allen. It seems once again we have to raise the OVR of rookie QBs in order to prevent them from drafting a first round QB just cause of the rookie having a higher OVR.

I know there was a video done with the Bears last year where they drafted a QB in the first because he had a higher OVR than Trubisky. If EA can get rid of this use in terms of how the AI builds their teams, and implement the 5 year rookie contracts it would be a big boost to the CFM experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep4YsWeMdis&t=0s

Last edited by UFCMPunk; 11-09-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #11
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCMPunk
Just thought I post this video here, Deuce did a video simulating 10 years in CFM with the new draft logic. It seems to me the one and constant issue that remains with AI Draft Logic is the Bills drafting a QB because the player had a higher OVR than Josh Allen. It seems once again we have to raise the OVR of rookie QBs in order to prevent them from drafting a first round QB just cause of the rookie having a higher OVR.

I know there was a video done where the Bears last year where the Bears drafted a QB in the first because he had a higher OVR than Trubisky. If EA can get rid of this use in terms of how the AI builds their teams, and implement the 5 year rookie contracts it would be a big boost to the CFM experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep4YsWeMdis&t=0s
I have seen similar results where teams that have already spent significant resources on a QB still draft a QB high in the draft. In almost every CFM I have simulated or played to year 2 recently the 49ers have always drafted a QB in round 1 in the 2019 draft, and the Bills more often than not either spend a lot of money on one of the best free agent QBs or use a first round pick on one. Instead of raising rookie QB overalls I don't know why they can't implement some sort of team building logic where if a team just drafted a QB in the 1st, or 2nd round they won't draft another QB that high for at least a couple of years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #12
MVP

saintrules's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosum13
I have seen similar results where teams that have already spent significant resources on a QB still draft a QB high in the draft. In almost every CFM I have simulated or played to year 2 recently the 49ers have always drafted a QB in round 1 in the 2019 draft, and the Bills more often than not either spend a lot of money on one of the best free agent QBs or use a first round pick on one. Instead of raising rookie QB overalls I don't know why they can't implement some sort of team building logic where if a team just drafted a QB in the 1st, or 2nd round they won't draft another QB that high for at least a couple of years.
Team building logic is why I returned Madden 18 and refused to buy 19.

A simple (probably complex) solution would be to have some sort of "Rebuilding", "Reloading", or "Competing", tag, associated with each franchise.

The rebuilding AI focuses on trading away older players, collecting draft picks, and getting young guys in the system. Far too many times I see a rebuilding AI sign someone like Richard Sherman in Free Agency four years down the line over playing their twenty two year old rookie. How is that rebuilding?

Reloading AI focuses on Free Agency to fill in the OVR gaps by trading away bigger contracts, opening up cash, and going after big names, without sacrificing the farm. Probably the hardest thing to do IRL and should be in the game too.

Competing goes after blockbuster trades for draft picks to complete their team or trades away rookie's/second year guys for someone's talented player from a rebuild.

There should be something in the upper corner denoting what stage a team is in. Maybe there's an algorithm that can combine overalls, ages, contract length, and statistics, then spit out a number that falls within one of the three categories.

Last edited by saintrules; 11-08-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #13
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintrules

A simple (probably complex) solution would be to have some sort of "Rebuilding", "Reloading", or "Competing", tag, associated with each franchise.

The rebuilding AI focuses on trading away older players, collecting draft picks, and getting young guys in the system. Far too many times I see a rebuilding AI sign someone like Richard Sherman in Free Agency four years down the line over playing their twenty two year old rookie. How is that rebuilding?

Reloading AI focuses on Free Agency to fill in the OVR gaps by trading away bigger contracts, opening up cash, and going after big names, without sacrificing the farm. Probably the hardest thing to do IRL and should be in the game too.

Competing goes after blockbuster trades for draft picks to complete their team or trades away rookie's/second year guys for someone's talented player from a rebuild.

There should be something in the upper corner denoting what stage a team is in. Maybe there's an algorithm that can combine overalls, ages, contract length, and statistics, then spit out a number that falls within one of the three categories.

Like The Show has!! They've got rebuilding, Playoff Push or Normal designations that they give teams. I don't know if that has any actual impact on the way the team operates or not, but at least it's there.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 11-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #14
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintrules

This a great idea and is something that needs to be implemented, it would add a lot to the depth of franchise mode. As the poster before me pointed out MLB the show has something like this, the NHL series even has something like this.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:02 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosum13
This a great idea and is something that needs to be implemented, it would add a lot to the depth of franchise mode. As the poster before me pointed out MLB the show has something like this, the NHL series even has something like this.
The logic is already in Madden now via each coach’s/team profile makeup.

Some coach’s/team AI logic will build...
1) via draft
2) through FA
3) via trades

There’s also an additional logic layer with players being designated as...
1) Tradable
2) Non Tradable

And another Career Phase layer of
1) Incline
2) Decline

And another Injury Implication layer incorporating
1) Injury Severity impacting declined ratings

etc, the coach/team AI Logic incorporates to produce variable decision making outcomes (ie Jon Gruden decisions) during a Franchise.

Two things prevent these aspects from known/seen in most CFM’s being played.
1) Default rosters ratings are not in-line with the generated levels of rookies, which causes these aspects to operate off balanced in relation the high rated roster.

2) Folks quickly calling it broke and useless because it’s not done the way they think it should be done and/or simply don’t know what’s all in a Franchise.

- most people don’t even have a clue about the independent Team building profiles in each coach’s profile, let alone Trade Clauses, Career Phases for each player.

Can’t get this information out though because a lot of voices claiming to be Franchise heads would rather spend their time noting their same displeasures year after year in every thread they visit.

It’s already there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #16
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
The logic is already in Madden now via each coach’s/team profile makeup.

Some coach’s/team AI logic will build...
1) via draft
2) through FA
3) via trades

There’s also an additional logic layer with players being designated as...
1) Tradable
2) Non Tradable

And another Career Phase layer of
1) Incline
2) Decline

And another Injury Implication layer incorporating
1) Injury Severity impacting declined ratings

etc, the coach/team AI Logic incorporates to produce variable decision making outcomes (ie Jon Gruden decisions) during a Franchise.
I don't know if you have personal knowledge of this team building logic or read it some where. I don't personally remember any blogs coming out about it but maybe I just don't remember. If this is already in the game then great, but I'm just calling it like I see it and it could use some tweaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Two things prevent these aspects from known/seen in most CFM’s being played.
1) Default rosters ratings are not in-line with the generated levels of rookies, which causes these aspects to operate off balanced in relation the high rated roster.

2) Folks quickly calling it broke and useless because it’s not done the way they think it should be done and/or simply don’t know what’s all in a Franchise.

- most people don’t even have a clue about the independent Team building profiles in each coach’s profile, let alone Trade Clauses, Career Phases for each player.

Can’t get this information out though because a lot of voices claiming to be Franchise heads would rather spend their time noting their same displeasures year after year in every thread they visit.

It’s already there.
In the franchise I just finished the 1st offseason in and the few that I simulated to check out the offseason I've seen some weird things. In almost every one I've had both the Rams and usually another team in the league that have recently invested a lot in the RB position get in a bidding war for Le'Veon Bell. Luckily the Broncos outbid everyone for Bell, I don't know that they would actually go for him but it's better than the Rams signing him. The 49ers almost always draft a QB in the 1st round and I've even seen the Jets do it several times. The Bill's usually always sign a QB out of free agency to start over Josh Allen.

There has been some other weird stuff that I've seen, these are just the more obvious ones that I can think of off the top of my head. I know that this is just a video game so there will be some things that happen that aren't necessarily true to life. But if you're telling me the Rams would try and sign Le'Veon Bell, or the 49ers are drafting a QB in the first few rounds rather than adding offensive weapons or a lineman to protect Garoppolo then I've got a bridge to sell you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »