Home

Run and Shoot Guide

This is a discussion on Run and Shoot Guide within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Run and Shoot Guide

Hey everyone, I put together a Run and Shoot Guide based on trying to actually emulate and learn from the real Run and Shoot and not just hey here is some money plays, like most guides for this playbook typically do. I know back in the day there used to be a decent amount of content about the air raid and Run and Shoot on these boards. So I look forward to seeing what you all have to say about what I've put together.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

If you are interested in this and want to continue to discuss this offense I run a group on Facebook called Run and Shoot 101. Check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/324387517757082/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Run and Shoot Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosopher0
Hey everyone, I put together a Run and Shoot Guide based on trying to actually emulate and learn from the real Run and Shoot and not just hey here is some money plays, like most guides for this playbook typically do. I know back in the day there used to be a decent amount of content about the air raid and Run and Shoot on these boards. So I look forward to seeing what you all have to say about what I've put together.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

If you are interested in this and want to continue to discuss this offense I run a group on Facebook called Run and Shoot 101. Check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/324387517757082/
This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen put together on Madden for a playbook breakdown... Great job man
Old 10-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #3
MVP

Good stuff. Do you have or recommend a playbook?
Old 10-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
Rookie

I was just about to ask if anybody else ran this playbook!

First of all: Huge props to you for this write-up. It truly is phenomenal!

I use the generic Run and Shoot playbook when I play the games, but I only play about half the games a year. Because CFM does not allow you to pick the generic playbooks as your Coach's book, I have had to result to the closest I could find, based on number of plays in pistol/shotgun. The playbook I am using for my simmed games is Indy: have you come across a playbook that would work better/have some RNS plays in it?

Also: Way back on NCAA Football 2014, I ran a variation of the RNS called the Shootbone, which there is an excellent write up for on Scribd. Anyway, in his write-up Ligerborn (the author) pre-reads his option routes. Have you noticed whether the option routes are run (mostly) correctly in Madden, or do you typically pre-read (hot route) those, too?

Last edited by J.hunt1376; 10-31-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Props; Another question
Old 11-01-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.hunt1376
I use the generic Run and Shoot playbook when I play the games, but I only play about half the games a year. Because CFM does not allow you to pick the generic playbooks as your Coach's book, I have had to result to the closest I could find, based on number of plays in pistol/shotgun. The playbook I am using for my simmed games is Indy: have you come across a playbook that would work better/have some RNS plays in it?
Well no playbook has RnS plays in it but the Run and Shoot playbook. So Yeah Indy is a good one... if you have to sim. I mainly play in full CFM leagues so don't play the cpu a ton, but I know how that can be a grind to play all 16 games a season vs CPU... maybe just play offense for all 16 instead, or go into games you are simming and supersim them... IDK. For me the Slot WR #2 is my stud WR... I wouldnt want to sim games where his production is given to a TE... especially when I usually only have 2 cheap blocking TEs on the payroll.

Quote:
Also: Way back on NCAA Football 2014, I ran a variation of the RNS called the Shootbone, which there is an excellent write up for on Scribd.
Yeah the Flexbone and the RnS both have a lot of overlap, especially in the 70s and again at Georgetown University under Red Faught. What you are calling the Shootbone is something similar to that Georgetown version of the shoot probably.

Quote:
Anyway, in his write-up Ligerborn (the author) pre-reads his option routes. Have you noticed whether the option routes are run (mostly) correctly in Madden, or do you typically pre-read (hot route) those, too?
As far as the option routes. They always run the correct option vs the leverage shown. i.e. if you go into practice mode and call slide vs 3-4 odd - Tampa 2. The 3 option routes will ALWAYS do the same choices every time. However, if you hot route both of the deep zones to some short zone, they won't, or if you hot route all the short zones to deep zones... or if you man up all the underneath zones... the option routes don't respond to the play call, they respond to a few other pieces of the puzzle... like what the safeties are doing, is there a middle hook zone, things like that. The Choice Route for instance vs cover 0... lets say a random 3-4 odd cover 0 play with 3 lbs blitzing and 3 lineman. if the hb stays in to block, the lb assigned to man up on him drops into a robber zone. if that robber zone is there the choice route will run a fade. If you put the HB on a pass route... a swing right or something. then that LB chases him down and there is no robber route. Now the Choice route runs the short post/slant. The option routes always run the right routes. The only hot routes I run are listed in the middle column where i list my automatic adjustments to plays... which are there moreso to make the plays in the game reflect moreso real RnS plays, not to pre-read option routes. The only routes I hot route based on coverage really is on slide vs an obvious man defense (discovered via motioning), the bubble should convert to an in route. and also vs man, I am more than likely going to put the backside wr in trips on a slant vs off man coverage or a fade vs press man coverage. Other than those 2 though... and what's listed under adjustments, I don't hot route at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
Good stuff. Do you have or recommend a playbook?
The Run and Shoot playbook that comes with the game is the only one that can be used. Madden removed the RnS from being included in custom playbooks starting with Madden 18 I believe.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:38 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosopher0
The Run and Shoot playbook that comes with the game is the only one that can be used. Madden removed the RnS from being included in custom playbooks starting with Madden 18 I believe.
That sucks, the constnt dumbing down to make the game noob friendly is irritating. I will give it a try but since I sim most of my games it becomes a nuisance.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
That sucks, the constnt dumbing down to make the game noob friendly is irritating. I will give it a try but since I sim most of my games it becomes a nuisance.

I haven't tried it, yet, but Philo suggested to just go into the games to pick your playbook and then supersim to the end of the games. I would imagine that would have the same outcome, but I don't know for sure. Will try when I get home tonight.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »