Home

Fix: How to get "red gems" in Custom Draft Classes

This is a discussion on Fix: How to get "red gems" in Custom Draft Classes within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #9
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Fix: How to get "red gems" in Custom Draft Classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
I shouldn't call them "busts", per say.

More like.. Red gems are usually indicative that a player will be harder to develop, while Green gems are usually indicative that a player will be easier to develop.

Both Red and Green gems can be productive players, but there's one rule that I follow every draft that has never failed me -- the only time you should ever draft a Red gem player is if you have zero Green gem players left. Just stay away from Red gems.
I drafted an athletic red gem pass rusher in one of my CFMs in 17 who turned out to be a stud. Got him in the 2nd, good spd acc and agl, had high pass rush moves, and was quick development. To this date the only good red gem I've ever drafted...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 11-03-2018, 06:00 PM   #10
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaTim
Thanks. But that leaves me with a question.

I scouted a WR with a B+ catching, B short route running and B- release and it shows a red gem. How and why?
Wait till you see his combine results. He probably has like 82 acc and 88 spd or something like that.

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Old 11-03-2018, 06:10 PM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
Wait till you see his combine results. He probably has like 82 acc and 88 spd or something like that.

That is correct. Their final grade takes into account the players physical skills which you won't know until the combine. It is a really silly way. If they are going to keep physical skills secret until the combine scouting should give you an overall intangible grade. Unrealistic either way. In reality they should give a semi accurate physical grade without having to scout the player.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2018, 06:30 PM   #12
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:

Yeah, there are many more intangible ratings (e.g. Medium/Deep Route Run) that can factor into it. Spin and Juke ratings can even have an affect on overalls, too. At least in regards to HB/WR, anyway.

That's why I just draft Green gems. I always have at least one available for each round and when I do run out of Greens, it's in the 6th and 7th round -- so those picks really don't matter anyway.

Like I said, Reds can be studs too, but they're much harder to develop than Greens are.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:15 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:

I see alot of green gems with horrible combines. Weird way to grade a player. The way the scouting is set-up now you can do best by wait till the combine and then just scout all players with 6.8 grades at least and 7.3 grades for skill positions.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:24 AM   #14
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaTim
I see a lot of green gems with horrible combines. Weird way to grade a player.
Combine numbers matter much less than they have in the past. You can't just find the Prototype guy w/ excellent physical tools and expect to dominate. Intangibles and Traits play much more of a role now.

With Matt10's Sliders -- on All-Madden -- I can rush for 4.8 yards per w/ a HB who has 87 speed, no problem. Not every single game, mind you, but I can get 1,200 yards from him in a season just as easily as I could using a HB w/ 93 speed.

Also, Christian McCaffrey would like a word...

Quote:
The way the scouting is set-up now you can do best by wait till the combine and then just scout all players with 6.8 grades at least and 7.3 grades for skill positions.
To point out the most glaring reason why it'd be wise not to follow this advice:

You receive a minimum of 3,300-3,500 scouting points to spend throughout the year if you use all your points each week. That allows you to fully scout anywhere b/w 111-167 total prospects for the draft.

Per your suggestion, if you were to "wait till the combine" before scouting any prospects, you'd only have 700-875 points to spend on scouting before the draft -- considering you lose 50% of your unused points each week. That only allows you to fully scout 23-42 prospects for the draft.

Sorry, but the math just isn't adding up in favor of your "strategy"...
Old 11-08-2018, 02:07 AM   #15
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Green gem and red gem is also based on where a player is projected to be drafted at, not necessarily that one is a good or bad player. A projected top 10 player can show up as a red gem and still be a good player. It's just that he's being drafted in the top 10 when he probably should be a 2nd round pick. That's the way I evaluate them.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2018, 02:11 AM   #16
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
Combine numbers matter much less than they have in the past. You can't just find the Prototype guy w/ excellent physical tools and expect to dominate. Intangibles and Traits play much more of a role now.

With Matt10's Sliders -- on All-Madden -- I can rush for 4.8 yards per w/ a HB who has 87 speed, no problem. Not every single game, mind you, but I can get 1,200 yards from him in a season just as easily as I could using a HB w/ 93 speed.

Also, Christian McCaffrey would like a word...

To point out the most glaring reason why it'd be wise not to follow this advice:

You receive a minimum of 3,300-3,500 scouting points to spend throughout the year if you use all your points each week. That allows you to fully scout anywhere b/w 111-167 total prospects for the draft.

Per your suggestion, if you were to "wait till the combine" before scouting any prospects, you'd only have 700-875 points to spend on scouting before the draft -- considering you lose 50% of your unused points each week. That only allows you to fully scout 23-42 prospects for the draft.

Sorry, but the math just isn't adding up in favor of your "strategy"...

You can also get more scouting points if you upgrade your coach. If you're a rebuilding team then that would be my first coach upgrade. Like, I just started a fresh Lions franchise and traded all their stars like Stafford and Marvin Jones away and loaded up on draft picks so I can build the Lions in my own identity. First thing I'm going to do when I get enough points is upgrade Matt Patricia's scouting thing so I get more scouting points. I'm going to need them since I've got like 15 draft picks in both the 2019 and 2020 drafts. Yeah, I really blew them up good. LOL!
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »