Home

Will Madden ever be as Authentic as it used to be?

This is a discussion on Will Madden ever be as Authentic as it used to be? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
NASCAR Heat 4 Review
FIFA 20 Review
NBA 2K20 Review

Old 11-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #33
Give Your Hand In Death

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Will Madden ever be as Authentic as it used to be?

When was Madden ever authentic? Madden has always been that hybrid game imo. Some things might've functioned better, but I think this is as authentic as Madden has ever been on the field. Now off the field is a different story. How much more authentic the game should be by now is also a totally different story.

I don't think Madden has ever been the "authentic" game out, unless it was the only viable option.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #34
Rookie

sinthros's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
SMH. Ratings absolutely matter. The game still has thresholds FFS. All sorts of abilities/animations are available to highly rated players that are not available to the scrubs. The difference can be so stark that I seriously have to question whether or not anyone who would say such a thing even plays the game.
Ratings don't matter nearly as much as they should, because this game isn't built upon physics, but upon animations (which is the worst way to make this kind of game, by the way). That's why 5'5 cornerbacks can jump high enough to knock the ball out of a 7 foot receivers hands. Even though that would never actually happen. Ratings/height/weight don't matter nearly as much as they should. And ratings barely matter as it is.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #35
Wahoo Wah

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
When was Madden ever authentic? Madden has always been that hybrid game imo. Some things might've functioned better, but I think this is as authentic as Madden has ever been on the field. Now off the field is a different story. How much more authentic the game should be by now is also a totally different story.

I don't think Madden has ever been the "authentic" game out, unless it was the only viable option.
Since its inception.

Madden has always strived for authenticity to the source material as much as the hardware allowed. John Madden famously wouldn't license his name to the game unless and until the developers got 22 players on the field at the same time (most football games in the early 1990s could not achieve this).

As time passed and the game became more popular, they've had to strike a balance between authenticity and accessibility. That is what ruffles a lot of feathers here, and if your angle is that you want Madden to be a pure sim then you are correct in labeling it a "hybrid". It's not purely a simulation, and it probably won't ever be purely a simulation, but almost every major changed added to the game on the field recently was built with authenticity in mind.

We do agree that franchise mode is flat-out missing a lot of important gameplay mechanics which would increase the authenticity of that mode. That said, I'm mostly focusing on on-field football gameplay in this topic.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 11-05-2018 at 05:29 PM. Reason: clarification
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #36
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthros
Ratings don't matter nearly as much as they should, because this game isn't built upon physics, but upon animations (which is the worst way to make this kind of game, by the way). That's why 5'5 cornerbacks can jump high enough to knock the ball out of a 7 foot receivers hands. Even though that would never actually happen. Ratings/height/weight don't matter nearly as much as they should. And ratings barely matter as it is.
Agree with a lot of your stuff, but will agree to disagree with you on this. The only part I agree with is the warping of the 5ft 5 CB, otherwise, ratings do matter. at least in my CFM games ratings matter.

I think that is where the disparity lies, people are using different settings, traits, sliders ,etc... difficulty levels and announce, "ratings don't matter."

All I need to look at is for the OL/DL battles that go on in my CFM to tell whether ratings matter.

To say the barely matter is a false narrative in my opinion and I know I'm not the only one to share that opinion.

1. We will see when we will see. Show me don't tell me/wait and see mode etc
B. We aren't going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe again.
2. We aren't going to jump on the hype train yearly .
C. Better late than never
3. It was in before, can't call it new
Old 11-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #37
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

Madden is the girl that is really pretty until you get to know her. Everything looks great visually in still shots but once you get down to it in motion it's in the uncanny valley of things that should work but just don't. That's just on the field The outside features, due to the NFL or otherwise, and by the way they are in Fortnite now hmmmm, are just lacking. Create a Team/Stadium/Play/Packages are missing completely from the PS2 era. The sheer depth of contracts, holdout, morale, news, and coaches in Franchise are missing. I mean they even had player roles in Madden 07 as far as mentors and busts and injury prome etc, that effected team comps and contract negotiations in a way that is just missing. This game is just so far from what it should be and its frustrating to me. I mean if this game could be 3/4 of MLB the Show or 2K it would be amazing.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:37 PM   #38
MVP

Lisac's Arena

The problem is they try to fix stuff that isnt broken
2yrs ago the run game was great, so why mess with it?
Its complete garbage now, we are 3 months into Madden and the game is still broken in a few areas. When your the only Company making a Football game this is uncalled for
Old 11-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #39
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze88
Madden is the girl that is really pretty until you get to know her. Everything looks great visually in still shots but once you get down to it in motion it's in the uncanny valley of things that should work but just don't. That's just on the field The outside features, due to the NFL or otherwise, and by the way they are in Fortnite now hmmmm, are just lacking. Create a Team/Stadium/Play/Packages are missing completely from the PS2 era. The sheer depth of contracts, holdout, morale, news, and coaches in Franchise are missing. I mean they even had player roles in Madden 07 as far as mentors and busts and injury prome etc, that effected team comps and contract negotiations in a way that is just missing. This game is just so far from what it should be and its frustrating to me. I mean if this game could be 3/4 of MLB the Show or 2K it would be amazing.
Yes,franchise has nowhere near the depth that it had back then and likely never will. I think gameplay is at least better though and if people play a ps2 version they would see all the bad things they likely forget about due to the nostalgia. They were fun games but flawed and arcadey but with a few sim aspects. The other game had much more going for it in this regard imo but we won't go there.

I think the gameplay this gen has shown some improvements but has gone backwards some in the past few years.'16 is actually the cleanest playing and best cpu AI we've had which is frustrating.Penalties took a crap since then as well.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #40
Rookie

Biological's Arena

To everyone claiming that Madden is not authentic - what is "Authentic" to you?
What are the requisite conditions that need to be met for it to be considered "Authentic," to you?

To those stating that it's not authentic - how much have you dabbled with changing the sliders and settings, to make it more (or less?) difficult?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »