Home

Question about Coaching Schemes and Playbooks in CFM

This is a discussion on Question about Coaching Schemes and Playbooks in CFM within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Question about Coaching Schemes and Playbooks in CFM

All,

I am in a small online CFM. I chose the Bengals.

The first two weeks, not knowing much about how coaching schemes and playbooks work, I leave everything alone. I win two games.

Feeling brave, starting in week 3, I go in and change the coaching schemes on offense and defense to fit my team "better".

Feeling even more brave, I also change my offensive and defensive playbooks from Cincy to KC (on offense) and Philly (on defense). I get destroyed for the next 3 games! I mean, like 40 - 20 in those three games. Offense can't do a thing. Defense can't stop a thing. Interceptions everywhere.

Now, no longer feeling brave, I switch the offensive and defensive playbooks back to Cincy. I beat the Steelers rather handily. I left the offensive and defensive schemes alone (to what I had changed them to).

Is there a reason that changing the playbook would have such an affect on the team's play? Do you need to train on a playbook before using it?

I mean the way the Bengals play with the Cincy playbook is night and day.

Thanks...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Question about Coaching Schemes and Playbooks in CFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terp_in_atl
All,

The first two weeks, not knowing much about how coaching schemes and playbooks work, I leave everything alone. I win two games.

Feeling brave, starting in week 3, I go in and change the coaching schemes on offense and defense to fit my team "better".

Feeling even more brave, I also change my offensive and defensive playbooks from Cincy to KC (on offense) and Philly (on defense). I get destroyed for the next 3 games! I mean, like 40 - 20 in those three games. Offense can't do a thing. Defense can't stop a thing. Interceptions everywhere.

Now, no longer feeling brave, I switch the offensive and defensive playbooks back to Cincy. I beat the Steelers rather handily. I left the offensive and defensive schemes alone (to what I had changed them to).

Is there a reason that changing the playbook would have such an affect on the team's play? Do you need to train on a playbook before using it?

Thanks...

Doubt. Playbooks don’t alter ratings.. and while some playbooks are different.. it’s still the same core plays in some way or form. That’s moreso a cosmetic thing... one of my issues with Madden is unless you’re like really into schemes, you don’t see the difference in these playbooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #3
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by terp_in_atl
All,

Thanks...
Does it change it directly? No, it's not supposed to. However, if you're suddenly calling plays in a different playbook that don't work well with your personnel, it could be problematic. Example: if you have a power-blocking O-line and suddenly start calling a ton of zone plays, it may not end well for you.

...and don't forget that individual matchups can matter quite a bit and can greatly influence game outcomes.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Thanks. Not using a playbook that doesn't fit my team's scheme does make sense to me. And probably explains the beat downs.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »