Home

Regression. WTF EA?

This is a discussion on Regression. WTF EA? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #25
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Regression. WTF EA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzaa
There many others i can mention. WRs dont fall off a cliff at 30. Look at Fitzgerald. Moss played into his 30's, Owens. CB Darryl Green was 38 i believe. Peterson is still playing well in Washington. Gore doing well in Miami and RBs are the ones that fall off the fastest.
I can name many other players that played well into their 30's.
These players would best be represented in Madden's franchise mode by possessing the Superstar development trait. In my experience, Superstar dev limits skill-position player regression to an extreme degree, at least until a player advances into his mid-30s.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Not true at all unless you think Brees is awful now. I can name many others but you get the picture
For every Brees there are dozens who are unceremoniously cut or retire each year.

If anything my original post isn't strong enough, because a majority of players who actually make an NFL team won't be on a roster by their 27th birthday. Even fewer will still be playing by 30; they would need to be good enough to last until year 2-4 of their second contract. That list is going to include at least a few who looked promising but couldn't keep it going for one reason or another.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #27
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
These players would best be represented in Madden's franchise mode by possessing the Superstar development trait. In my experience, Superstar dev limits skill-position player regression to an extreme degree, at least until a player advances into his mid-30s.

Yes, those would be the anomalies. I wish there was a development and a regression trait as those who progress the fastest are not the same as those who regress the slowest. That would add variation.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
Yes, those would be the anomalies. I wish there was a development and a regression trait as those who progress the fastest are not the same as those who regress the slowest. That would add variation.
Being able to play beyond 30 is anomalous in and of itself. Only 321 players currently on active rosters are 30 or older, per Pro Football Reference.

Since the bulk of the players are turning over even faster that means fewer than 1 in 5 of your draft picks should even be in the league by the time they are 30.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #29
Rookie

I think they should make it where normal players regress at a certain point, quick players regress a little later/slower, star players regress a little later/slower than quick players, etc.

That way your elite players hang around longer and are worth resigning. You could also factor in if a player has a major injury then they could regress from a superstar to a star which means they'll regress a little quicker.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #30
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Being able to play beyond 30 is anomalous in and of itself. Only 321 players currently on active rosters are 30 or older, per Pro Football Reference.

Since the bulk of the players are turning over even faster that means fewer than 1 in 5 of your draft picks should even be in the league by the time they are 30.
Yes, they need a metric to wash out players once they pass their prime. Once a player loses a step they are out of the league for the most part even if their skills are better than the younger guys. Madden has no way to do this. They will hang around for years of a lot regression all the time blocking younger players on the depth chart from ever developing. It is rare for players to play into their 30's at most positions but it is not only the superstars that do so.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:30 PM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
There many others i can mention. WRs dont fall off a cliff at 30. Look at Fitzgerald. Moss played into his 30's, Owens. CB Darryl Green was 38 i believe. Peterson is still playing well in Washington. Gore doing well in Miami and RBs are the ones that fall off the fastest.
I can name many other players that played well into their 30's.
Players like Larry Fitzgerald, Moss, Jerry Rice and many other greats are definitely anomalies... That's what made a lot of them greats... Football is a tough and brutal sport... Plenty of great talents don't pan out simply because they suffered massive injuries that derailed their careers... It takes a lot of luck and skill to even make it to your 30th birthday in the NFL let alone making it past that... QBs are a different case for the most part especially with today's rules that overly protects them... But for them even them making it to 30 in the league is still an anomaly... For every Tom Brady and Drew Brees there are like 10 Nathan Petermans that mostly likely will be out of the league before they are 30
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2018, 11:36 PM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
Yes, they need a metric to wash out players once they pass their prime. Once a player loses a step they are out of the league for the most part even if their skills are better than the younger guys. Madden has no way to do this. They will hang around for years of a lot regression all the time blocking younger players on the depth chart from ever developing. It is rare for players to play into their 30's at most positions but it is not only the superstars that do so.
I think what hampers all sports titles franchise wise is that Overall ratings are too heavily weighted... There needs to be a better way to evaluate talent in franchise mode... Nothing sucks more than the CPU signing a player that is 2 or 3 points higher in overall rating that ultimately blocks their younger player they just drafted a year ago and kills their development... They usually sign an older middling player in those cases... Teams don't have the awareness to actually try to develop their younger talent and stick with them... I'm fine with teams signing vets for depth... But not at the expense of younger talent

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »