Home

Which QB to draft

This is a discussion on Which QB to draft within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
Rookie

mnAD28's Arena

OVR: 0
Which QB to draft

I have 2 QB's that are similar to draft, but I'm not sure which one I should go with.

I currently have Brees, but am looking for the QB of the future. I won't get one of the top 2 qb's, so my question relates to scheme fit.

Nick Manfred is the better QB (using OMN's scouting tool, see attached), but Franz Kieler fits my scheme (I use the vertical zone run scheme). Since whoever I draft will sit for a year, would Kieler get enough extra XP from being a scheme fit to propel himself up to or better than Manfred?

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QB's.JPG (22.6 KB, 225 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Re: Which QB to draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnAD28
I have 2 QB's that are similar to draft, but I'm not sure which one I should go with.

I currently have Brees, but am looking for the QB of the future. I won't get one of the top 2 qb's, so my question relates to scheme fit.

Nick Manfred is the better QB (using OMN's scouting tool, see attached), but Franz Kieler fits my scheme (I use the vertical zone run scheme). Since whoever I draft will sit for a year, would Kieler get enough extra XP from being a scheme fit to propel himself up to or better than Manfred?

Thoughts?

Scheme fit xp is huge. If you train your qb's every week that dude will be in the 90's even if he sits all year.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:46 PM   #3
Rookie

mnAD28's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
Scheme fit xp is huge. If you train your qb's every week that dude will be in the 90's even if he sits all year.
I'll check how it would affect the rest of my team, but do you think ideally I should take the better QB and just change my scheme to fit him?
Old 11-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #4
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
I'll check how it would affect the rest of my team, but do you think ideally I should take the better QB and just change my scheme to fit him?
Development trait also plays a pretty big part in that weekly training XP. I would draft the Quarterback that you think is going to be better for the way that you want to play then adjust the scheme so he fits it to develop him. For example I like my QB's to be more mobile, I don't necessarily want straight scramblers but I'll usually look for a Strong Arm or Field General QB with the best combine stats in the categories that determine athleticism. I also usually look for a QB with higher arm strength so I have a somewhat mobile QB with the arm to really sling the ball downfield.

As far as scheme fit, with how restrictive the schemes are this year in Madden as far as archetypes I usually pick the one that fits the most players that I want to develop. You can still actually run the scheme you want in game by going with the playbook that you like. For example in one CFM I'm trying to build an athletic man coverage based 4-3 defense. The problem is all of the 4-3 schemes have zone for the CB archetypes. I switched my scheme to the 3-4 scheme that fit the most players in my front 7 so I could also develop them at the same time, but I still run with a 4-3 playbook in game.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
Rookie

mnAD28's Arena

I looked at my team last night scheme fit last night if I were to switch schemes to benefit the better QB (Nick Manfred) and it does have a lower percentage of players that fit the West Coast Zone Run scheme, but doesn't seem too bad.

So I guess I'll take the better player and adjust the scheme if needed. If he gets scooped up before I draft, then I'll take the 2nd guy and keep the scheme.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
Just started!

I was going to recommend taking the first guy. Second guys top skills are very average. Even with scheme fit, I think it would be better to try to transform the first guy into your scheme. This may be easier than you first thought, as it looks like a scheme fit for you is a Strong Arm, and the first QB's second highest skill is Throw Power. So it looks like after a couple of upgrades he should be a scheme fit, while at the same time probably starting off 2-3 overall higher than the other QB.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

Quote:
I looked at my team last night scheme fit last night if I were to switch schemes to benefit the better QB (Nick Manfred) and it does have a lower percentage of players that fit the West Coast Zone Run scheme, but doesn't seem too bad.

So I guess I'll take the better player and adjust the scheme if needed. If he gets scooped up before I draft, then I'll take the 2nd guy and keep the scheme.
As far it as changing your scheme, it all depends on what scheme works best for developing the specific players you are looking to develop. Maybe you draft the better QB and he's only 1 or 2 points away from being a scheme fit for your current scheme and you decide to keep the scheme the same and just gradually make your QB a scheme fit.

What really needs to happen is they need to give us the ability to customize your scheme. I don't want them to make it a free for all where yuo can just cheese the system and make your entire team a scheme fit. But they should for certain positions give you a sub set of archetypes to pick from depending on what yuor base scheme is. For example you would never really want a smaller pass coverage LB on the outside for a 3-4 scheme, but give us the option to create a custom scheme where you can pick between speed rusher and power rusher for each OLB position. This would allow us to build our own schemes as we see fit. For certain positions like WR and DT they need to let us select different archetypes for WR1, WR2 etc..
Old 11-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
MVP

scheme is everything to progression for normal dev, i agree about custom schemes

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »