Home

Competitive Madden for Sim Players

This is a discussion on Competitive Madden for Sim Players within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0

I have been toying with the idea of writing a guide to a new defense I've discovered thanks to one of my favorite Madden YouTubers, Deuce Close. Some recent posts regarding sim league play and the value of YouTube content here on the forum have renewed my interest, so I've decided to go ahead and do it.

Cover 4 Palms is now good enough that you can build a pretty solid defensive scheme around it, and you can do it out of a formation that provides a lot of unique benefits against both run and pass. The best part is that the formation, Big Nickel Over G, is in every defensive playbook, so you won't have to sacrifice anything to add this to your repertoire.

Mixing in three other coverage audibles that will help us contain the routes that can really hurt our Palms coverage we can have a solid, but not OP pass D that really gives us an answer to most anything the offense can throw at us. Match ups will matter greatly, because Palms and the split field coverage audibles require that your back seven can handle a lot of one on one responsibility.

I'm running this defense in both a single player and a 32 man franchise. It's been effective, fun to play, and it's not the least bit cheesy.

This content is obviously not mine. I do not intend to take credit for discovery in anyway, I merely want to share a free resource that I hope some in the community will get some use of. What I will be providing is a simplified system that allows you to make coverage checks based on offensive formation that make this scheme much, much easier to play in practice. This does sacrifice some effectiveness, but these are mostly edge cases. They are also discussed in detail in the source videos linked below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFiI79EJ5_o&t=2032s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h7rKDWH6iE

The videos are long, about 45 mins each. If you don't want to spend 90 minutes watching don't worry, I'm going to give a simple system of coverage checks, based on the offensive formation, that will allow you to put this to work in games after no more than a few hours of practice. I would highly recommend reps against random plays in practice mode as you will be required to play either a 3 receiver hook or mid read depending on the play call.

This post is also starting to get long, so I'm going to break up the guide into two parts. This post will be part one. I'll wrap up by discussing why Big Nickel Over G is so good and what type of personnel you'll want to be able to get the most out of it. In part two, which I'll write and post over the weekend, I'll introduce the plays and give the coverage checks.

Simply put Big Nickel Over G gives you the best balance of effectiveness against the run or pass. The ability to put safeties at LB and potentially in the slot (more on this later) mean you can have both stout run D and the SPD to match up in the passing game. Using Palms as our base play we can get 9 in the box and remain sound deep against all but a few vertical and wheel routes.

If you keep auto flip on then the plays we use will always align your slot CB to the strong side of the formation, and he's going to have force responsibility to that side in the run game. This makes him a SAM/slot hybrid. It also means this player needs to have good pursuit and tackling to get the job done.

Your Sub LB1 and Sub LB2 will switch roles between Will and Mike based on the offensive formation.

This formation will use your sub depth chart options. Below I'll list the positions which see the field and what you should look for in players to fill them. These recommendations are for default settings on either competitive or simulation.

RDT1 and RDT2 - These players are primarily interior run stuffers. They will alternate between 1 and 3 techs when the formation flips, so both need to be able to hold their own. I prioritize BSH and STR, but it really helps to have at least one with high PMV to help get late pressure when you coverage locks up the offense

RRE and RLE - 3-4 OLBs with high SPD, ACC, and FMV are ideal. Our 4 man rush will get them one on one so PMV are not needed, and the SPD and ACC will help them close faster. They don't figure prominently in the run game, so I don't care much about STR or BSH.

Slot CB/SAM - This player will frequently have deep responsibilities against both WRs and RBs, and as I said he's going to be a force defender in the run game. SPD is important, but so are PUR and TAK. I would use a lesser rated coverage defender here, if possible, but you CANNOT sacrifice speed. 88 is the lowest I would go on default.

Sub LB1 and Sub LB2 - These players will interchange between WILL and MIKE. You can play Good coverage LBs like Deion Jones, Telvin Smith, Miles Jack, etc. or you can also put mid-tier safeties here to good effect. The prototype would be a player like Morgan Burnett on the Steelers. His 86 SPD makes him an iffy safety, but he's a stud at MLB.

FS and SS - These players will also interchange roles. These should be your best coverage players. If you don't intend to play them in the box much you can get away with a bit less speed, say 86-87. If you go this low then special care will need to be taken when playing against someone who has a Tyreek Hill, John Ross, etc. type player.

CB1 and CB2 - SPD and ZCV. Height helps, but won't always be available. JMP is an okay substitute. Anything else is gravy.

Last edited by stinkubus; 12-20-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2018, 08:56 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Competitive Madden for Sim Players

Nice write up. I’d like to add a couple of points. Quarters coverage is pattern matching which uses the man coverage attributes. In pattern match sometimes players will be in zone as well but I’d tend to lean more man coverage than zone but the players need to be balanced.

The main issue with pattern match this year besides the blown coverages that are simply a mess is the ability to fit the formation. The switch concept is really the biggest issue with pattern match coverage, specifically the wheel route. Here’s what the game wants you to do. Cover 4 will fit and defend the switch concept from a 2x2 formation. Match and buzz match will fit and defend the 3x1 formations. If you don’t call the correct coverage the wheel route will destroy the pattern match. Now you can spit drop by playing he sticks but then your talking about something different.

The other issue is press coverage and how the game reacts to it. Here’s a basic rule. The game will not allow you to defend a streak from a pressed position within any formation to the single reciever side. Basically the zone press will work agaiant Trips and twins side of the formation. However any side of the formation with a single receiver will invite a rediculous animation where your defender will simply hesitate and almost stop before playing his zone. If your aware of this issue it honestly ruins the football experience.

One last point with quarters coverage. Back before the patches that altered the game in October, the coverages were pretty decent. Now the quarters coverage simply struggles agaiant the post route at times and the safeties struggle with routes from the closed side of the formation. I found a way to get the quarters to play somewhat like it’s suppose too. Basically the CB in quarters has to be at a depth of 5 yards to play the position correctly. There’s only one way to achieve this by default. You have to call cover 4 show 2. Any other depth will be susceptible to random blown coverages. Lab this out and you will see it. You. Am manually move the corners into the proper depth and you can achieve some sense of realism.

Default press cover 4’s are descent as well. Manually pressing a cover 4 WILL NOT achieve the same outcome. Default works if you have the correct attributes at corner. It should be noted that man press is attribute based, zone pressed is alignment based.

Cover 6 and 9 are seriously broken. When the offense has an outside streak and a slot post from a twins formation against the deep half safety side, the safety will follow the post and abandon his leverage between both routes. Again going back to the above point, if you want the quarters coverage side to play correctly, you need to pick plays that are defaulted to cover 6/9 show 2. The other alternative is to manually move the quarters side CB to a depth of 5 yards.

I have more to offer the community once I get my post/reply counts up. Basically, the game is hard to play because you can’t use concepts
To anticipate anything becaue a lot of things are scripted prior to the snap.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
MVP

I've played enough games with this scheme, in a franchise setting, that I feel very comfortable stating that when playing match man ZCV is the relevant attribute. MCV does not matter at all. Do a roster edit and put 0 MCV guys out there if you don't believe me.

In Madden Cover 6 and Cover 9 are your checks against some Trips and Bunch, not Twins. Against twins you stay in Palms or maybe check to Quarters against a few formations. Cover 6 and Cover 9 don't play Quarters against Trips or Bunch, they have a different check whose name I can't recall, but it's covered in the second YouTube I posted. Cover 6 and Cover 9 are both really important to this scheme, because they cover up most of the routes that Palms struggles against.

Also, although press is very important to these concepts in real life in Madden the risk/reward is too skewed in the offense's favor. Pressing a stock outside quarter zone will give up any double move 100% of the time, and there are fade routes that will win almost all of the time, as well.

I had a couple franchise games so far this weekend and played several H2Hs so I haven't yet had time to do part two where I explain how to play.

I also like Cover 4 Show 2, but I really only use it against 2 RB sets. I use it out of my 3-4 Under which I will resort to if a team can make me honor the run that much. Most of the time Big Nickel does just fine, even with a FB on the field.

Last edited by stinkubus; 12-21-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
MVP

A few words about settings. Turn Auto Flip on. This ensures the slot/SAM always lines up on the strong side. I also put this player in the #1 SLCB spot on my depth chart, and I use the slot CB package to get them on the field. This changes the hot routes available to this player. We mostly won't be using coverage hot routes for the main scheme, but there are some spots where you'll need to resort to C3 and then they are absolutely necessary.

A few other words about adjustments: Do not base align. Do not man align. Do not protect the sticks. If someone needs to move do it yourself. You're going to need to learn the deep responsibilities so you can ensure someone isn't lined up too far inside/outside as they often will be with the default alignments. You may also need to give your slot/SAM a cushion if the offense can force mismatches on you.

Let's get on to the play selection, and how/when to use them.

First up is Cover 4 Palms

This is our base play. It's the play call out of the huddle almost always, and I end up running it anywhere from 40 to 60% of the time. When playing Palms I user the 3 Receiver Hook most of the time, but there are times when your weak side S will not have deep responsibility, and you can user him if it will help.

Between the run fits, your ability to put 9 in the box without too much risk, and the SPD you can put on the field at the force defender positions this is hands down the best run D in the game.

In the passing game you'll be vulnerable to double moves, comebacks, and some verticals from the outside receivers. Drags, ins, or slants, or posts cause problems if they can cross the length of the field, but our user can help out on any of these from the 3 Rec zone. Out routes, corners, and wheels can also become an issue. Some deep posts require special attention. This is where our coverage checks come in.

Tampa 2, Cover 6, Cover 9

You will want to automatically check to one of these defenses against Bunch, or any Trips where the #1 to the weak side is an in line TE. This is due to an error in coverage logic which is detailed in the first YouTube I posted.

You can also use them if your opponent is killing you on the comebacks, wheels, etc. Just call the play that puts the CB flat zone on the side of the field you think you are going. You can also use formation tells to help you make your choice. Really the only coverage adjustment I make is deciding whether or not to change one or both Cloud Flats in these plays to Soft Squats.

All three are capable of handling deep posts barring match up issues. Tampa 2 with the MLB in a deep third usually works. Cover 6 and Cover 9 include match principles for the Deep Half S, so he will often man up on deep posts if they come from that side of the formation.

I mostly play Tampa 2 when I'm not worried about a deep post, so that I can user the Mid Read. With Cover 6 and Cover 9 I'm mostly on the 3 Rec again, but there are some times when I like to play the Vert Hook.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Captures
-----

The other issue is press coverage and how the game reacts to it. Here’s a basic rule. The game will not allow you to defend a streak from a pressed position within any formation to the single receiver side. Basically the zone press will work against Trips and twins side of the formation. However any side of the formation with a single receiver will invite a ridiculous animation where your defender will simply hesitate and almost stop before playing his zone. If your aware of this issue it honestly ruins the football experience.----
This point you brought up was the main reason why I put the game away for awhile. Not only was this happening against zone, it was also occurring during any man press coverage vs. a 9 route with an outside step to start off. However, since the latest patch installed, I can now press man or zones and no longer see this happen on a regular basis. Once in a while, the corner will unrealistically hesitate, but it is very, very rare and appears to be now pre-determined "dice-roll" programming vs. the previous glitch. Maybe reinstalling your game will help. Thanks for the write up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I love this stuff, Stink! Fantastic work. Keep it coming!
Old 12-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #7
MVP

Those outside release routes are still something you need to watch out for. They aren't auto TDs any more, but they can still be completed on a lob pass and a RAC catch. If your CB doesn't have the SPD to keep up it can turn into a bad situation when playing this scheme because he's almost never going to have help when it's one on one. It's definitely something that needs to be game planned around. The elite burners like Hill, Fuller V, etc. can make it a problem even if you play off coverage.

The fade route in the Fade Smash plays can also do serious, serious damage if you don't have an elite player at the appropriate S spot.

Just like every other Madden you have to get inside your opponents head and try to figure out where they are going with the ball. The difference with this scheme is that we mostly just call coverage plays so we can worry about alignment and get on our user quickly.

You don't need to freelance; you really only need to play our assignment. Playing the 3-Rec is going to give you tons of chances to lurk routes, anyway. I've personally found this so liberating that I'm getting more user picks than ever. It's easier to focus on what you need to do when you don't feel like you need to cover half or more of the field.

You'll start forcing way more contested passes. Even when you are giving up completions the windows will be tight. You'll start getting more knock outs, fumbles, and pass deflections.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Thanks for this stink. I defense that seems to realistically effective in my coach mode CFM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by NoleFan; 08-16-2019 at 10:36 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »