Home

Time for Me to Shelf 19 and Hope 20 is it

This is a discussion on Time for Me to Shelf 19 and Hope 20 is it within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Time for Me to Shelf 19 and Hope 20 is it

I think i've played my last game of Madden 19 today. It is the first Madden I have played in nearly 20 years. I was thrilled when they brought it back to the PC this year and I think the game has come a long ways in 20 years, but it still just is missing something in my opinion.

I have tinkered with the sliders for long enough at this point on ALL PRO. I have made the game more challenging, but at the expense of making the game unrealistic and silly.

I typically get sacked 4-10 times a game, even when trying to adjust coverage's. I know the Giants oline is bad, but no ones oline is that bad. Often I will go back and watch a replay after leaving a RB or TE back to block and usually they do nothing and do not pick up a man at all. I can try to move around a bit in the pocket, but lets face it, if someone breaks through in this game, there is no escaping a sack. Even 300 lb Dlinemen outrun Kyle Lualetta and his decent 78 speed. Even when getting outside the pocket and trying to throw the ball away will often lead to a sack as the animation to throw the ball is unreasonably slow in this game. You had better start the throw away when they are still over 5 yards away otherwise you'll be sacked.

I usually throw between 2 and 4 interceptions a game. Again, I am starting Lauletta who is basically the same as Eli if you ignore awareness. I also have the AI pass defense, reaction, and INT sliders turned up and my QB accuracy down because if I don't I will pick them apart.

I play with 75 speed threshold which should decrease the separation but the AI is still able to just bomb it over the top on me often. I will then go back and check and see that their 88 or 90 receiver somehow just blew past my 93 speed corner. Again, a little randomness needs to occur to make the game exciting, but too often the AI gets all of their points against me with deep bombs or 80 yard runs against cover 1. Often times their QB will have 2 or 3 interceptions but a ridiculous YPA average because of the absurd amount of deep throws they have successfully pulled off.

I usually have a punt or FG blocked ever 2 to 3 games. Sometimes I have had 1 of each blocked in a game. Just recently the AI has started having a rash of Kickoff returns for TD against me. These conveniently occur with 1 minute left with the AI down.

Basically, this sort of silly absurdity crap has to happen for the games to be close. And they are close, close so often as I have pointed out in another thread that it is a little ridiculous. I never kill them, and they never kill me. Often we kill each other but by the time the 4th quarter is over the game is ALWAYS decided less than a TD. These are not the type of games I want. I want games as close to what happens on Sundays. I do not want 6-8 turnovers a game, 6-10 sacks a game. 2-4 plays over 50 yards just so the score ends up close. And I don't want a close game every single time. Butt kickings happen often in the NFL.

And after all this lets discuss the ridiculousness of injuries. I have played my first 1-8 games of the Giants franchise season now probably over 20 times. I have never ONCE not lost Barkley and often his backups during all of these early parts of the first season. I have moved the injury slider between 25-50 and it does not matter. RB's in this game just get injured a ton. I don't care if you try to be even somewhat conservative with their carries. They still get injured far too often. Usually by game 5 or 6 I have lost Barkley and one of his backups to injury and usually they are out between 3-8 weeks. When I say this happens every time, I am honestly not exaggerating.

So in the end that's it. The game is beautiful, and it is still mostly fun. But trying to get a realistic experience is difficult. I don't expect it to be perfect. But it is still a little too far off for me to get completely immersed into a season. If they put 20 on the PC I will give the new game a try later this year and hope some of these issues are ironed out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
MVP

Rayzaa's Arena

Re: Time for Me to Shelf 19 and Hope 20 is it

Wouldnt hold your breath on 2020. They need to do A LOT to make it how it should be.
Im having fun with it but would love to see a lot more things to make it great.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
Hail To The Redskins!

cjallure24's Arena

OVR: 18

Have you tried any of the gameplay mods? Sounds like a lot of your issues could be addressed with using mods.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-06-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjallure24
Have you tried any of the gameplay mods? Sounds like a lot of your issues could be addressed with using mods.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Operation Sports mobile app
No. I have thought about trying them. I was hoping there would be more or maybe a way I could learn just enough to MOD it myself. I feel everyone has their own experience in this game due to vastly different play-styles. This is why I have taken to tinkering with sliders myself as I know what issues I am dealing with better than anyone else. The sliders do make a difference, and they do ultimately make the game go in the general direction I am looking for, but there is a cost associated with that.

For example I could probably turn up pass protection and my line would block better.. But by doing so I would now have more time in the pocket, and would be less rushed and would be less likely to throw an interception. Most of those occur because I am trying to make a quick decision and know I have about 2 seconds to get rid of the ball. So this would probably throw the balance off and I would start kicking the AI in the teeth again.

It's funny I already have pass protection set to 55, but run blocking I have set to 30. It's the exact opposite problem. Any higher and Barkley is running for 250 yards a game easily.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:05 PM   #5
Rookie

So made some adjustments to the sliders for the 500th time and at least this time I am getting my rear kicked. Score is 21-3 at the half against Jax, but this is how they have scored:

54 Yard Run
58 Yard Pass
46 Yard Int Return for TD

I am sure one question is are you blitzing a lot. No. I do blitz. But not a ton. I play a lot of Cover 1 and 3.

In one half I have thrown 2 picks, and have been sacked 4 times. One sack my guard decided to block the same guy the C was blocking and just allowed the DT to walk in and sack me untouched.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

I would always start with a slider set from here and tweak.

I've played all-pro with the int. slider at 30 and throw one a game but go lower if needed.

Pass block slider at 50 and I take about 3 sacks a game but ramp it up until you average that.Raise
their pass coverage then.

At least that's two and as far as big plays I'd user a linebacker or Safety and play accordingly.Using a lineman will give you a disadvantage in this game.

Last edited by gr18; 01-06-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #7
Rookie

You ain't alone--Ive experienced most of what you have mentioned.I assume you are playing on "sim" setting.Try sim in main menu,but competitive in cfm.Seems to cut down some of the nonsense.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #8
Rookie

Lightbulb Re: Time for Me to Shelf 19 and Hope 20 is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLEJR
You ain't alone--Ive experienced most of what you have mentioned.I assume you are playing on "sim" setting.Try sim in main menu,but competitive in cfm.Seems to cut down some of the nonsense.

I just played another half and I am leading most of the half before they punt and pin me down to the 1 yard line with about 3 minutes left in the half. I am thinking, ok here it comes again. I get the first down, but of course get called for a hold, take a sack and end up punting.

They take the ball from the 50 and score in about 3 plays like it was nothing aided by a roughing the passer call. The game is now tied at 14 with about a minute and 30 seconds left. I figure with 2 timeouts I should try and get in FG range.

I run a shotgun pass play from split panther and call a max protect as this gives me 7 blockers including two flanking me in the backfield. I see the deep seam open and as I hit the button somehow they get pressure, hit the QB, ball bounces in the air and is picked off. They have the ball on the 5 yard line and quickly score to go up 21-14. So in basically 3 plays they score 14 points.

This is the sort of stuff that happens ALL the time in this game. It happens so often you can pretty much set your watch to it. Just wild *** stuff happens consecutively and completely changes the entire prior direction of the game. Does this stuff happen in real football? You bet. Does this stuff happen every game in football? I would say, NO.

By the way they thrashed my max protect with just 4 rushing linemen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »