Home

When to use Under, Over, DBL Gap .. ?

This is a discussion on When to use Under, Over, DBL Gap .. ? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2019, 12:03 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
When to use Under, Over, DBL Gap .. ?

Like most people I think I fully understand when it's appropriate to use the different defensive formations (3-4; Nickel; Dime ..) that are available to us in the game. What has me confused though is when the use "sub" formations (Under, Over, Solid, Over Plus, DBL Gap, Wide ..)

I've looked at old threads and read different conclusions. Some say it has to do with the position of the opposition offensive formation. Others say it has to do with whether you suspect a run or pass is coming. Perhaps to take advantage of your defensive personnel or exploit a weakness in their O line.

So I'm wondering if anyone or several of you can explain when Pro Football teams actually use these formations and for what purpose.
Rule of Thumb explanations would be cool.

Thanks

In 3-4

When would a team want to use an Under formation
When would a team want to use an Over Formation
Odd
Solid
Even

In 4-3

Under
Over
Over Plus
Wide

In Nickel

2-4-5
2-4-5 DBL GAP
3-3-5 WIDE

Dime

2-3-6
Will
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2019, 10:14 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: When to use Under, Over, DBL Gap .. ?

This is an excellent right up explains it all in great detail

https://www.muthead.com/forums/madde...litzing-3-4#c1

Another same from same person
https://www.muthead.com/forums/madde...-under-bear#c1
Old 01-08-2019, 11:14 PM   #3
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: When to use Under, Over, DBL Gap .. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano_Aix
Like most people I think I fully understand when it's appropriate to use the different defensive formations (3-4; Nickel; Dime ..) that are available to us in the game. What has me confused though is when the use "sub" formations (Under, Over, Solid, Over Plus, DBL Gap, Wide ..)

I've looked at old threads and read different conclusions. Some say it has to do with the position of the opposition offensive formation. Others say it has to do with whether you suspect a run or pass is coming. Perhaps to take advantage of your defensive personnel or exploit a weakness in their O line.

So I'm wondering if anyone or several of you can explain when Pro Football teams actually use these formations and for what purpose.
Rule of Thumb explanations would be cool.

Thanks

In 3-4

When would a team want to use an Under formation
When would a team want to use an Over Formation
Odd
Solid
Even

In 4-3

Under
Over
Over Plus
Wide

In Nickel

2-4-5
2-4-5 DBL GAP
3-3-5 WIDE

Dime

2-3-6
Will
Well in real life over/under is based on the offenses strength of formation and which lineman you want your 3tech(Best Interior Rusher) going against to either stop a rusher and or get an ideal matchup. 3-4/4-3 isn't really important since the difference between a 3-4/4-3 front is strictly based on personnel, the postions on the field are roughly the same. Nickel 2-4-5 is just taking away a NT in a 3-4 for a DB instead of the SLB in a 4-3. And double A gap IRL is to confuse blocking assignments or merely overload the center to get quick and hard to avoid pressure. 3-3-5 wide in a run defense with Nickel personnel, its essentially a 5-1-5 defense that stacks the line. Dime is to defend better against the spread more DBs vs more WRs. Most of this doesn't apply to Madden so someone else would be better at that but for real life thats kind of the gist of it

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »