Home

Madden please dont mess with the falling forward animation

This is a discussion on Madden please dont mess with the falling forward animation within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2019, 01:21 AM   #33
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Madden please dont mess with the falling forward animation

Im glad people are actually seeing that this isnt a bad thing. It emulates fighting for has, for the first time in madden history,RBs always look live. That pancake animation now only happens after a missed tackle or a huge momentum gain for the Defense

I do agree though, at times it looks strange. But c'mon, even in the weirdest circumstances its still nice
Old 03-10-2019, 01:25 AM   #34
Pro

OVR: 9

Even in the worst animations, you could realistically attribute it to a player fighting. Thats why idc. Madden sometimes isnt about being realistic intentionally, sometimes you have to think about how real players interact.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #35
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdeville
I agree, I don't mind the falling forward which is what runners do 90% of the time IRL. The problem is that in Madden ball we've become accustomed to tacklers knocking runners backwards and sideways and that rarely happens. Most tackles in the NFL are not solid hits, especially if the runner adjusts his body. But that requires use of physics and I don't think Madden will ever be capable of that.
I think they've accidentally stumbled on a positive here and knowing the track record I think the patch will just mess things up.
You hit on something with the "accidentally stumbled on a positive here" comment. We all talk about the need for physics based results, when in reality it's the animation that exhibits the perception of physics. This animation is a good start, but needs honed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #36
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhunker
You hit on something with the "accidentally stumbled on a positive here" comment. We all talk about the need for physics based results, when in reality it's the animation that exhibits the perception of physics. This animation is a good start, but needs honed.
We need something between what we had before and what we had now. The problem is now the falling forward animations trigger too often. I'm even hitting a ball carrier as they juke back away from my defender or sacking the QB as they run away from the rush only to have them somehow fall forward 3-5 yards. The worst part about it happening on a sack is when it triggers and the QB falls forward the defender is not getting credited for the sack. In today's madden where progression is pretty much purely stat based it could have an effect.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #37
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosum13
We need something between what we had before and what we had now. The problem is now the falling forward animations trigger too often. I'm even hitting a ball carrier as they juke back away from my defender or sacking the QB as they run away from the rush only to have them somehow fall forward 3-5 yards. The worst part about it happening on a sack is when it triggers and the QB falls forward the defender is not getting credited for the sack. In today's madden where progression is pretty much purely stat based it could have an effect.
This. Unfortunately I don't think that they can find the right balance in the short amount of time that they are taking(rightful so) to get the next patch out.

Although I'm not hopeful, what we have now should be the base for M20 with all the impossible animation sequences removed.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #38
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

What are people setups? I haven't played since the update came out, but when I did, just like TrojanMan and a few others, I didn't see the animation frequently, more so, infrequently, and yes, that is a bit much, too.

I'm playing AP with sliders close to default on everything.

As Edgevoice mentioned, sliders don't make any programming issues/bugs, but at the very least, able to minimize the issue(s) somewhat.

Still, should be fixed, but I keep repeating it's needs to be balanced or bust and based on past experiences and history, I'm guessing it will be a bust.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
What are people setups? I haven't played since the update came out, but when I did, just like TrojanMan and a few others, I didn't see the animation frequently, more so, infrequently, and yes, that is a bit much, too.

As Edgevoice mentioned, sliders don't make any programming issues/bugs, but at the very least, able to minimize the issue(s) somewhat.

Still, should be fixed, but I keep repeating it's needs to be balanced or bust and based on past experiences and history, I'm guessing it will be a bust.
I'm playing on All Pro with "user-only" evenly defeated sliders to make the experience a bit more difficult and realistic for me. However, even when I played the game post-patch on All Pro default, the tackling animation was every bit as present. Sliders can help make something either more difficult or easy in certain areas and does this at times by changing the actual duration or effectiveness of an animation. However, I've never known sliders to prevent an animation from triggering.

To repeat, the issues we are experiencing are based on animations that are triggering before the actual tackle begins. In head on tackle attempts, the defensive player's momentum towards the ball carrier hits an imaginary force field, stops and then drifts slightly backwards before the collision occurs. What also happens at times is that the ballcarrier suddenly takes many quick short steps to gain unrealistic momentum. When a quarterback does this just before he is being sacked, your defender will often times not be awarded the sack. When the odd sideways tackle occurs, it appears to be simply suction. We have all seen that before so it needs no further explanation. The "throw ballcarrier forward" animation that I did not notice before the patch, usually plays out fairly in my eyes.

As we wait for the patch, I feel we all need to keep in mind that, unless they forgot to mention it in the patch notes, what we are all experiencing is likely due to the attempt to address another issue. They may have to figure out how to address that issue in a different way, while cleaning up the bug that is now present.

For folks that want to experience the ability for the CPU running backs to gain more yardage, simply tune your user tackle slider down. This will not trigger a magical fall forward animation, but you will notice, besides not being quite as effective at tackling, that the CPU backs will attempt to use special moves a bit more to gain extra yards. If you feel you're not getting a fair shake with regards to momentum, turn up both user run blocking and fumble slider and that should help. I am in the minority but I am not a fan of tuning sliders on the CPU side. That would take a research paper to explain, although maybe someday I just might get around to doing it. Finally, the "get skinny" mechanic is essential in short-yardage situations. I use it almost all the time on dive plays, so a defender can't get a clean knock back hit on the ballcarrier.

With much respect towards those of you who wish the game to stay in it's current state, this bug makes the game extremely difficult to play and enjoy. Although the mid-read zone is still somewhat buggy, there are times when I like to play cover 2, rally to the ball and tackle. When I fly full speed at a receiver who just caught a stop route and attempt to blow him up dead on the spot, having my momentum suddenly cease as the receiver at the same time magically drives me back for 3-5 yards is not my idea of sim football.....

Last edited by edgevoice; 03-10-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #40
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman

In my online 32 user franchise we play on All pro with default sliders. I definitely notice the animation a lot more in that league than my solo franchise I run offline on All Madden with sliders. I feel like you can cut down on it triggering somewhat with the right sliders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »