Home

RPM=Revolutionary Programming Magic or Really Poor Move

This is a discussion on RPM=Revolutionary Programming Magic or Really Poor Move within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
RPM=Revolutionary Programming Magic or Really Poor Move

When I fired Madden 19 up for the first time, there was something that truly surprised me in a positive way. Never before had I ever felt so connected to the ballcarrier that I was controlling. Like many of you, I struggled to run the ball initially. After quite a bit of time on task, I eventually mastered the RPM one-cut mechanic. Running was still a challenge, but not in an unrealistically animated way. What was unrealistic was the enormous stamina hit taken for executing this move. I was also not impressed with what I saw happening concerning other elements of the game. RPM programming clearly did not properly mesh with the CPU ballcarrier, suction and warping animations were triggering at an alarming rate all over the field and there was a stiffness to the gameplay as a whole.

Since RPM was new, I anticipated that there would be some problems. For the most part, EA did a good job of tuning the mechanic so the user could actually utilize it, without fear of running out of gas after a 30 or 40 yard run. Also, suction and warping, especially between wide receivers and defensive backs, were both also vastly improved upon. However, what EA couldn't seem to do was figure out a way to program the CPU ballcarrier to properly use RPM. Therefore, each patch led to the mechanic being slowly tuned almost completely away in that respect.

I like the idea of RPM. However, in order for it to truly become revolutionary, I believe that it must apply to all 22 players on the field. If EA has the ability, patience and desire to see this mechanic through, it could take gameplay to a level that we've never witnessed previously. However, at of the time of this writing, it appears that RPM was never visualized in that way and the intention was merely to tout a partially implemented "back-of-the-box" feature to build hype.

In order for this game to truly take a step in the right direction, EA has to fully train their focus on gameplay for some time to come. If RPM can be executed the right way, they need to continue to see that through. If not, they need to build a structure that they can continue to enhance in order to solidify the most important element of the game. After all, whether you play offline, online, MUT or franchise mode, isn't gameplay the key factor in determining the level of enjoyment you'll experience while playing the game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: RPM=Revolutionary Programming Magic or Really Poor Move

Quote:
After all, whether you play offline, online, MUT or franchise mode, isn't gameplay the key factor in determining the level of enjoyment you'll experience while playing the game?

Honestly, depends on who you ask. I see way too many who only care about their win/loss record online. As long as they getting W's, that is all that matter to them. Also if you strictly an online type gamer, then gameplay not going to matter since you playing against a person who is controlling the people anyway.

I hope EA build on RPM, but something tells me they won't and come August they will have something different. Over the years they had so many different things, never built on it. I remember locomotion, true step, infinity engine, pro tak, etc.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:58 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 19

RPM is no where near what it was when it was introduced.

The promo-video with D. Martin showcasing the fluid movement, was altered with the Pre-release tweak that was done to the defense because as Rex put it, they where told the game (defense) seemed too challenging and needed an adjustment.

Since then, every patch/update has basically removed the beauty of RPM that I experienced at EA Play 2yrs ago.

So it’s not fair to judge RPM now because many haven’t truly seen/experienced what it actually looks/feels like because it was altered before even being released to the mass public
Old 03-06-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
Pro

Anything that applies to only user controlled players is no good, in my opinion. It's 2019, we need ALL players, user and cpu, to be bound by the same locomotion rules.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-06-2019, 10:24 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
---------------------------------------

I hope EA builds on RPM, but something tells me they won't and come August they will have something different. Over the years they had so many different things, never built on it. I remember locomotion, true step, infinity engine, pro tak, etc.
Exactly. Great points. You nailed my concerns dead on going forward with gameplay. I can't help but wonder if the legacy issues we see are partially a result of the implementations that they tried and then buried. Maybe we are left with a crumb of old code from locomotion, another from true-step and so on. EA has got to put a rock solid plan in place as to how they want to go forward with gameplay and stick with it.

Have gameplay tight and set at launch and use patches throughout the year for unforeseen glaring bugs, commentary, presentation and visual improvements, so we aren't saddled with the constant need to adjust sliders and perform workarounds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Osprey
Anything that applies to only user controlled players is no good, in my opinion. It's 2019, we need ALL players, user and cpu, to be bound by the same locomotion rules.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Operation Sports mobile app
Agreed. While the one-cut mechanic feels nice to use, I now feel guilty running with Zeke for almost 200 yards a game because I can spin and juke the CPU out of his shoes rather easily. I am going to have to defeat his ratings for now as a result of the imbalance for the reason you mentioned.

I also believe that what you pointed out is also important as it pertains to animations triggered when an RPM controlled player interacts/collides with players not benefited by the mechanic.

Last edited by edgevoice; 03-06-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:31 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
RPM is no where near what it was when it was introduced.

The promo-video with D. Martin showcasing the fluid movement, was altered with the Pre-release tweak that was done to the defense because as Rex put it, they where told the game (defense) seemed too challenging and needed an adjustment.

Since then, every patch/update has basically removed the beauty of RPM that I experienced at EA Play 2yrs ago.

So it’s not fair to judge RPM now because many haven’t truly seen/experienced what it actually looks/feels like because it was altered before even being released to the mass public
Question. When you were at EA play, did you hear anyone from EA speaking as to whether or not they planned to program RPM to effect all 22 players on the field? Thanks.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:24 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice
Question. When you were at EA play, did you hear anyone from EA speaking as to whether or not they planned to program RPM to effect all 22 players on the field? Thanks.
Don’t understand what you’re asking with “program RPM to affect all 22 players on the field”.
- both AI and Hum players use the same set of animations/motion captures to facilitate multiplayer interactions.

RPM meshed very well during gameplay, which most everyone acknowledged across the board.

If they had a copy of that EA Play build, they should just go back to that point for M20, and go from there.

Side note:
What we really need is the ability to choose Patches/Updates of choice and/or “Revert” the game back to any prior state, because not every issue will impact everyone the same way.

The current state of RPM is do to all the inward tinkering to force gameplay/outcomes in a certain preferred direction.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »