Home

Rex gives interview, Ray Mayweather gives his answer on Youtube

This is a discussion on Rex gives interview, Ray Mayweather gives his answer on Youtube within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #9
MVP

Rayzaa's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Rex gives interview, Ray Mayweather gives his answer on Youtube

The actual podcast is long (1 hr22min) and Rex has a connection issue, lol.... but a real eye opener.
I can only speak for me, and I never bought Madden every year anyways. So going forward I will only buy it again after I see and read that they added things comparable to Dueces ideas and the game play is better. Presentation is better. Relocation isn't messed up and so forth.

I won't just go and buy it to find out. And if not, I'm not buying it and that's what people should try to do.

EA will notice when they fall from #5 to #10. Just that alone sends a message.

Last edited by Rayzaa; 04-11-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:57 PM   #10
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Sooo... what I said?

Kidding. I'm really glad Rex is speaking out. It's about time someone did, amirite. I'm sure EA legal delived a cease and desist this morning as they did me, but like then, they have no ground to stand on. Nothing he said violates NDA.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:27 PM   #11
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Re: Rex gives interview, Eric Rayweather gives his answers on Youtube

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
You can say that back of the box features don't sell the game, but they have all the metrics and data to back it all up.

I loved the part where one Executive Producer came in and said his nephew loves how aggressive catch is working.

That is the market, folks.

Have you seen the metrics? Have they once tried not to bother with back of the box nonsense to compare those metrics?

Don’t get me wrong. I understand what you’re saying. But, nothing based on opinion can truly be measured. Meaning, they can’t simply say, ‘we sold more copies this year because of Longshot,’ as an example. For one, did they sell more copies than the previous year? If so, was it all because of Longshot? Was it all because of rpm? Or, did more people have extra cash to buy an extra video game last year?

What I’m about to say next is purely opinion and based on no data whatsoever, but seriously, a football game (the only football game available with nfl players) will always sell, period. The amount it sells to casuals is always going to ebb and flow. Did millions more people buy madden when the vision cone was implemented?

I guess I just find it hard to believe that any back of the box feature has ever made more casuals buy it. It’s a football game. So, football fans buy it. Football fans are what it should be geared towards and marketed for.

I’d like to see the specific metrics they have for measuring something like this. And, I’ll bet I can give multiple explanations for sales that are backed by those metrics that don’t include back of the box features.

It reminds me of the movie, ‘Big’, with Tom Hanks. U remember when he gets the toy job and he’s in a marketing meeting, and the marketing guy(s) want to create a robot toy that starts as a building and then turns into a robot? They claim marketing shows this should be the next big thing. Tom Hanks is like, ‘what fun is there playing as a building,’ lol. U know? I mean, that’s the point I’m making. Some things in life are based on feel and intuition. All the metrics and numbers in the world may not show u the real ‘truth.’

And, I’ll always believe they would sell far more copies of the game if word of mouth from everyone was ‘this game is amazing. It makes me think I’m actually Tom Brady. I just won my 5th super bowl and my 1st round pick RB absolutely destroyed their MLB on the goaline with a wicked Truck. It’s the most realistic sports game ever made. U should really try it.’

Again, in that scenario, we all win. The gameplay becomes fantastic and we all enjoy the sim realism of it. And, because everyone is talking about how great it is, they sell more copies than ever. This is what really gets me about ‘metrics,’ and marketing, etc. They’re missing a huge opportunity to sell more games by simply making the gameplay ‘better.’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2019, 10:28 PM   #12
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

It's such a shame man... That dude is such a beast. He was always fighting for the sim community and he was on these forums and he has such a passion for seeing the game progress the way that we all want it to and he just wasn't empowered to. Guys like that shouldn't be pushed to the breaking point and have their vision obstructed. Really a bummer that he wasn't able to fulfill the vision that he had for the game and that he isn't still there.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #13
MVP

Rayzaa's Arena

I'd tend to agree with hanky. I don't ever play Longshot or Superstar and won't when SS comes back. I just want do to a franchise. My guess why they sold as many or more this year is because after two weeks it was only $29.99 which is the only reason I got it.

Also I never read the back of the game case. I read about it online

Last edited by Rayzaa; 04-12-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:38 PM   #14
MVP

jerwoods's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Sooo... what I said?

Kidding. I'm really glad Rex is speaking out. It's about time someone did, amirite. I'm sure EA legal delived a cease and desist this morning as they did me, but like then, they have no ground to stand on. Nothing he said violates NDA.
thanks for all what u had done at ea

they still are a lot of very talented people at EA its good to know they listen at least we know who to blame now

adembroski i read something u said at pastaparde years ago i belave every word of it i just knew it was right
Old 04-11-2019, 11:40 PM   #15
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Rex gives interview, Eric Rayweather gives his answers on Youtube

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Have you seen the metrics? Have they once tried not to bother with back of the box nonsense to compare those metrics?

Don’t get me wrong. I understand what you’re saying. But, nothing based on opinion can truly be measured. Meaning, they can’t simply say, ‘we sold more copies this year because of Longshot,’ as an example. For one, did they sell more copies than the previous year? If so, was it all because of Longshot? Was it all because of rpm? Or, did more people have extra cash to buy an extra video game last year?

What I’m about to say next is purely opinion and based on no data whatsoever, but seriously, a football game (the only football game available with nfl players) will always sell, period. The amount it sells to casuals is always going to ebb and flow. Did millions more people buy madden when the vision cone was implemented?

I guess I just find it hard to believe that any back of the box feature has ever made more casuals buy it. It’s a football game. So, football fans buy it. Football fans are what it should be geared towards and marketed for.

I’d like to see the specific metrics they have for measuring something like this. And, I’ll bet I can give multiple explanations for sales that are backed by those metrics that don’t include back of the box features.

It reminds me of the movie, ‘Big’, with Tom Hanks. U remember when he gets the toy job and he’s in a marketing meeting, and the marketing guy(s) want to create a robot toy that starts as a building and then turns into a robot? They claim marketing shows this should be the next big thing. Tom Hanks is like, ‘what fun is there playing as a building,’ lol. U know? I mean, that’s the point I’m making. Some things in life are based on feel and intuition. All the metrics and numbers in the world may not show u the real ‘truth.’

And, I’ll always believe they would sell far more copies of the game if word of mouth from everyone was ‘this game is amazing. It makes me think I’m actually Tom Brady. I just won my 5th super bowl and my 1st round pick RB absolutely destroyed their MLB on the goaline with a wicked Truck. It’s the most realistic sports game ever made. U should really try it.’

Again, in that scenario, we all win. The gameplay becomes fantastic and we all enjoy the sim realism of it. And, because everyone is talking about how great it is, they sell more copies than ever. This is what really gets me about ‘metrics,’ and marketing, etc. They’re missing a huge opportunity to sell more games by simply making the gameplay ‘better.’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My whole point is there isn't anyone on the inside(Rex tried) and for sure no one on the outside(us) will change the way they do business and the way they make a game. Nothing has changed since the days of Ian being in charge. That was 8 or 9 years ago at least.

Of course I haven't seen the metrics or data, but I don't need to. There have been plenty of others that agree with you, including me, that if you make a sim football, everyone will sing kumbaya and Don't Worry, Be Happy. lolz.

Until EA Tibs does business in a different way, I'm not holding my breath.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2019, 12:17 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

That whole "back-of-box" mindset seems to hurt Madden. The desire to promote and market *new* features seems to be important to suits than actually improving the features they have in place. The part about adding a feature than scrapping it because they can't market it anymore is frustrating to hear. Especially when it comes to Longshot. I'm pretty sure it won't be in Madden 20. So they devoted a large portion of resources to a mode for two years that had no replayability, no variance, that could be completed in the first day of purchase. Frostbite took a lot of resources. It has a very negative reputation amongst developers since it is being forced to be used amongst EA games. Besides visuals, Frostbite isn't the ideal engine for Madden.
As someone who just plays offline, Madden 19 felt like Madden 18. For me, I could care less about "back of box" feature list. That should only apply for casuals or new gamers. I rather them focus on core modes ane gameplay. CFM has been bare bones for years. I'm not a online gamer, they need something other than MUT and traditional H2H. They need a quicker online mode that can be completed 10-20 minutes. Even if they brought back Superstar Mode and promote it as a new feature, it isn't going to be successful if they abandon it after a year or two

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »