Home

Madden 20's New Ability System Spotlights The League's Superstars (Game Informer)

This is a discussion on Madden 20's New Ability System Spotlights The League's Superstars (Game Informer) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2019, 08:34 AM   #41
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden 20's New Ability System Spotlights The League's Superstars (Game Informer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi

However, APF2k8 had the gameplay and animation system that allowed the abilities to shine and play out realistically. Madden hasn't been able to execute a proper fade route yet. So it remains to be seen whether the new abilities system will be hindered by the onfield limitations of Madden's gameplay, movement and player interaction. Guess we will find out soon when the vids and streams release.
This is a good read and my concern too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2019, 08:37 AM   #42
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 20's New Ability System Spotlights The League's Superstars (Game Informer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
That's why Madden should make gameplay solid. If gameplay is still broken, adding these abilities would be like decorating the outside of broken down home. Madden needs to have balance between ratings and these abilities.

APF had its flaws. But gameplay was very smooth and the abilities in those games didn't feel overpowered. Passing game in APF was so smooth. Creating a QB with Laser Arm, Rocket Arm, and Quick Release was lethal. As long you had time in pocket, you could throw darts. Throwing bombs and fades felt very realistic. Even players with no stars could make plays.

So I don't want to see Bazooka zone ability if they don't improve pass trajectories. They have 70 abilities. I can see those covering all areas of the game. I don't want it fully dictate how gameplay is ran.
Agreed. I understand that adding "traits" and having them affect the gameplay could make each game feel unique, as it pertains to the team we're playing against. However, I hope this is not being implemented to "excuse away" unrealistic outcomes, or cover up existing core gameplay problems. The impact on slider settings is also something to consider, if you use them.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:13 AM   #43
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice
Agreed. I understand that adding "traits" and having them affect the gameplay could make each game feel unique, as it pertains to the team we're playing against. However, I hope this is not being implemented to "excuse away" unrealistic outcomes, or cover up existing core gameplay problems. The impact on slider settings is also something to consider, if you use them.
The superstar abilities don't worry me nearly as much as the X factor players with the in the Zone abilities. I feel like there is a very good chance that these could be overpowered, let's just hope they find a good balance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #44
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosum13
The superstar abilities don't worry me nearly as much as the X factor players with the in the Zone abilities. I feel like there is a very good chance that these could be overpowered, let's just hope they find a good balance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Obviously, we need to have hands on experience here. However, as seen with RPM this past year, I believe we will see updates based off of community input in order to make sure "X Factor in the Zone" abilities are properly represented.

The clutch trait, already in place, is supposed to already have a similar effect. I believe, though cannot prove, that the clutch effect is responsible for what some call comeback AI. However, this new dynamic seems to be aimed at being more specific, which I like better.

Again, this cannot be done at the expense of improving core gameplay, which they claim they have done, nor can it be so overpowered we feel gameplay is simply playing out in a scripted fashion. Counters must be in place in order to balance this new mechanic.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #45
MVP

OVR: 19

After going back and rereading the article again, love this concept that will expand upon “Player Differentiation” through on-field gameplay.

SuperStar:
- most players will have “none” attached to their abilities
- some will have “1-2” additional

Zone:
- “few” will have this unique ability that makes them stand out during gameplay by hitting certain on-field performance thresholds while still being able to be “turned off” by the on-field play.

There looks to be multi-layers to on-field Player Differentiation that will be dynamic in nature, which I love.

Can’t wait for a more detailed explanation.

As long as players remain editable, folk still will be able to tailor these aspects to their liking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2019, 11:59 AM   #46
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

I wish that the ability system would also focus on the fringe to average player so that there are certain things like animations, catch types, certain throws that the average to fringe player would struggle to make. Have a fringe OT in the game...he will get taken advantage of by better DLinemen. While I think, focusing on making superstars play like superstars is cool...some times it comes at the detriment of all the other players. Hoping for balance. Brady doesn't have to complete 90% of his passes to be a superstar.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #47
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

As someone who thinks turning off the “clutch” trait for every player, makes the game play more organically. Im nervous about these new additions.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #48
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
As someone who thinks turning off the “clutch” trait for every player, makes the game play more organically. Im nervous about these new additions.
I have noticed a similar result, although I didn't turn off for all players. I did for most of my own. I guess the bottom line regarding this new feature is all about frequency and severity. If balanced, it might play out well. Of course, there's bound to be plenty of conversation about this, since what is "reasonable" for one may be quite "unreasonable" for another.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »