Home

Al Davis O in M19

This is a discussion on Al Davis O in M19 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Al Davis O in M19

Hello all,

I'm wondering if folks have good recommendations for team or non-team offensive books in M19 that would make for a good homage to the departed Al Davis and his beloved vertical offense.

Which books do you think come closes to capturing that offensive spirit?

To those who would recommend a custom book I'm too OCD to be able to handle how garbled the custom books are, nor can I tolerate the game plan feature as it is currently rendered, so pre-constituted playbook recommendations only.

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Al Davis O in M19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Hello all,

I'm wondering if folks have good recommendations for team or non-team offensive books in M19 that would make for a good homage to the departed Al Davis and his beloved vertical offense.

To those who would recommend a custom book I'm too OCD to be able to handle how garbled the custom books are, nor can I tolerate the game plan feature as it is currently rendered, so pre-constituted playbook recommendations only.

Thanks!
Yeah my friend, my custom playbook and gameplan I use has forced me to ignore my OCD, but I battle on.... I am hopeful playbooks and gameplanning will be addressed soon.

On to helping you... I notice every time I play Tampa Bay, they spread their offense quite a bit, often with 4 WR's and take deep shots. Not sure what personnel packages you are looking for. Let me know and I will check it out for you the next time I poke around.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:53 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 6

San Francisco playbook/vertical power coach scheme. Best representation of the air coryell offense ive seen in a video game. The niners scheme just isnt set as vertical. I don’t think we could custom create a better air coryell book.

Also the dick koetter Tampa bay book is air coryell in concept, just out of the spread more. Niner’s book has more I and the cpu ai uses 2 back sets more out of that book to give it more of an old school feel.

Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks!

The file is called xboxassantesgreatestever.

Teams finished:
Bears, bills, browns, KC, Dall, Miami, Philly, ATL, SF, NYG, Jags, GB, NE, OAK, Rams, Ravens, WASH, NO, PITT, broncos, Texans, panthers, vikings, colts

Last edited by tommycoa; 04-30-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:27 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Thanks, Tommy!

The SF and TB books are mostly ZBS runs. I have been trying to look up stuff on the old Coryell run game stuff to see if it's more gap or zone, as I can't remember from watching old Raider games when I was young whether they ran more gap or zone stuff.

Would you say that Vertical Power better represents the player types than Vertical Zone? Can you shed any light on the core run schemes in the Coryell offense and its Raiders incarnations in the Davis heyday?
Old 04-30-2019, 10:24 PM   #5
MVP

Use whichever one fits your scheme. Should’ve said that. Sorry bout that. So, youve got a power back, you power vertical. Plays more old school if you use power.

Quote:
Thanks, Tommy!

The SF and TB books are mostly ZBS runs. I have been trying to look up stuff on the old Coryell run game stuff to see if it's more gap or zone, as I can't remember from watching old Raider games when I was young whether they ran more gap or zone stuff.

Would you say that Vertical Power better represents the player types than Vertical Zone? Can you shed any light on the core run schemes in the Coryell offense and its Raiders incarnations in the Davis heyday?

Teams finished:
Bears, bills, browns, KC, Dall, Miami, Philly, ATL, SF, NYG, Jags, GB, NE, OAK, Rams, Ravens, WASH, NO, PITT, broncos, Texans, panthers, vikings, colts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2019, 10:59 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Thanks, Tommy!

On the raiders air coryell. It was a little bit different when stabler was qb. He threw a lot more checkdowns to backs, Stabler lead the league in completion percentage a few times. Had two seasons over 60 percent and one was 66, super rare for back then. He was considered the most accurate qb of that time. Him and Lyn Dawson.

As far as running scheme, i think they ran lots of traps and draws and power sweeps—typical of that era. They used a lot of backs, heavy rotation. They were always waiting on the big play.

Eyeballing it this is what types i would draft if i were wanting to emulate this.

Strong arm qb with field general kind of high too, in hopes of decreasing interceptions because of the high risk nature.

2 Power backs, 2 elusive/recieving backs, and see what the fbs run skills are, he could be a third power runner in formation subs.

Wrs deep threat; i always get a true slot guy for the specialty slot position—really fun drafting or searching slot wrs in free agency

Te vertical

Olinemen two tackles pass protectors

Inside guys agile.

In my tinkering with cfm, when i have schemes like this where it doesnt match coaching scheme. I try to get the highest rated awareness player for the pass protector tackle position in free agency. because the players wont grow with exp, make sure awareness is high. It can make up for lack of blocking skills.

Teams finished:
Old 05-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 0

Run and Shoot is tons of fun. Unique formations and routes. It's easy enough to get a TE in the slot so you aren't wedded to 10 personnel. The run game offers enough if you know how to choose your play based on the defensive front and can also use motion and one-cut. Strategically placing that TE also helps.

You can't really pick up blitzes so you need to be on your toes against the AI. Certain schemes can break it in H2H.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Run and Shoot is tons of fun. Unique formations and routes. It's easy enough to get a TE in the slot so you aren't wedded to 10 personnel. The run game offers enough if you know how to choose your play based on the defensive front and can also use motion and one-cut. Strategically placing that TE also helps.

You can't really pick up blitzes so you need to be on your toes against the AI. Certain schemes can break it in H2H.
Run and shoot is really fun on here.

The generic spread playbook is pretty good too. Especially if you use Arizona and draft murry like real life.

Teams finished:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »