Home

Madden A.I not that bad (Truth is stranger than Fiction)

This is a discussion on Madden A.I not that bad (Truth is stranger than Fiction) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Madden A.I not that bad (Truth is stranger than Fiction)

The game almost needed those stud QBs though because developing them was pretty hit or miss. 6-7 mediocre upgrades in a row wasn't out of the question.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:00 PM   #10
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
The thing is, these "once in a million" events like a team taking a QB in the 1st round two years in a row happen year after year and sometimes with multiple teams in franchise mode. EA tried to correct this and now once in a lifetime QBs are falling to the 3rd and 4th rounds.

It's not undue criticism to expect the AI to set up plans and draft, trade, and sign free agents based off of their goals. As it stands right now the AI doesn't seem to do anymore than look at player A vs player B and choose the higher overall player and that's that. They don't plan for the future. They make decisions based off of now and have no concept of time it seems.
As I said at the beginning of my post , we ALL agree the G.M. A.I. is simplistic and basic , which is what you are saying , that doesn't mean all of the criticism it receives is totally warranted however

People , myself included , make assumptions that future events will fall into a pattern they deem reasonable and realistic when in actuality they rarely do.

If I had booted up my CFM 2 years ago , simmed 2 years ahead and seen the Steelers had traded away both Martavis Bryant and Antonio Brown , lost Bell in FA , and lost Shazier forever I would , no doubt , of rolled my eyes and blamed EA for its stupidity, I'd never have thought it realistic, but it's happened.

I wasnt saying you are wrong , merely that SOME criticism is more a product of our own ideas and preconceptions of what is realistic
Old 05-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #11
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
As I said at the beginning of my post , we ALL agree the G.M. A.I. is simplistic and basic , which is what you are saying , that doesn't mean all of the criticism it receives is totally warranted however

People , myself included , make assumptions that future events will fall into a pattern they deem reasonable and realistic when in actuality they rarely do.

If I had booted up my CFM 2 years ago , simmed 2 years ahead and seen the Steelers had traded away both Martavis Bryant and Antonio Brown , lost Bell in FA , and lost Shazier forever I would , no doubt , of rolled my eyes and blamed EA for its stupidity, I'd never have thought it realistic, but it's happened.

I wasnt saying you are wrong , merely that SOME criticism is more a product of our own ideas and preconceptions of what is realistic
Yep. There is the famous sentiment that fiction has it tougher than reality because fiction has to make sense. We all want our entertainment to have more rationality in its outcomes than we see in reality every day.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2019, 01:18 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:

I see where you're coming from. I personally don't think I fall into that category. I don't really look too much into every single move. I know some people roll their eyes when they see the Rams signing Bell after year one constantly. To me, I don't think stuff like that is unbelievable and it doesn't bother me.

My whole point, which is seems you do get, is that the GM AI needs to get some serious work done to it and they need to implement the concepts of time and planning into the GM AI behavior.

― Plato
Old 05-02-2019, 04:45 AM   #13
MVP

tru11's Arena

There is a difference between things happening incidental and structural......
Old 05-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #14
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

It ain't just Madden...it's pretty much every sports game ever made. In 99% of the franchise modes of basketball, football and baseball games, the AI always drafts based on ONE rating...the overall. It takes no thought of depth chart and fit. It's "the QB on the team now or the Point Guard on the team now is 82 OVR...there is a QB or Point Guard in the draft that's 83 OVR...select that player." To me the only way you fix that issue is to remove the OVR rating altogether. The draft logic should be geared toward various factors like depth chart, scheme, current player productivity at said position etc. That's why people go through the painstaking process of controlling all teams in franchise mode; because if not things just go haywire.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #15
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

The difference is the circumstances that lead to this aren't in Madden anymore. Martavis' suspensions, Brown's attitude issues, Bell's holdout and Shazier's career ending injury aren't things that have been in Madden since the PS2. With those still in the game it would be implausible still but at least possible. Same with the Rosen/Murray thing. In Madden coaches do nothing and GMs don't adapt to the coaching changes either so it would be a case of Murray has higher ratings vs new coach wants his type of guy and Rosen would also still be on the roster rather than immediately traded. It does sound like some of this is finally coming back from Madden 05-07 franchise modes but based on the way it's been since the PS3 this would be rightly mocked in Madden
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2019, 11:55 AM   #16
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

The problem in Madden is that the Cardinals would draft Murray but not trade Rosen.

The AI doesn't have the self-awareness to make decisions like that. Same goes with free agency.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »