Home

GridIron Notes: Face Of The Franchise and Franchise Updates

This is a discussion on GridIron Notes: Face Of The Franchise and Franchise Updates within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
NASCAR Heat 4 Review
FIFA 20 Demo Available Now, Features Kick-Off Mode and VOLTA Football - Post Your Impressions Here
NBA 2K20 Review

Old 05-03-2019, 09:43 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: GridIron Notes: Face Of The Franchise and Franchise Updates

Boss Battles in franchise. This is a damn joke, right? SMH.

This is NOT an improvement, upgrade, or "investment" into franchise. This is MUT Hero Challenges being introduced into franchise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2019, 11:05 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Madden devs should know better than to use action-adventure or RPG terms when describing anything in the game, it causes people to panic. The Madden audience has selective hearing and reading abilities and many don't do their homework well enough to get clarification on what a thing means before flipping out.

Anyway, I'm actually very glad to hear that the ratings spread isn't in MUT. It makes it more likely that they will stay spread out since we won't have to hear the MUT crowd melting down over the lower rated players.
Quote:
OS is always looking for something to go wrong.

This isn't OS looking for something to go wrong, this is a developer not communicating well at all. To call it a boss battle is worrying and placing blame on the consumer for worrying and not doing their homework is incorrect here. The whole point of these streams and blog releases is to be clear and advertise what additions there are. If those are communicated poorly as they were this time around then that is not the fault of the consumer and it is not the consumer's job to do their homework to find out what the devs really meant in this instance. Placing blame on the audience for the developers poor communication is just laughable.

People have the right to be worried about the features with the way EA worded and with their track record with this franchise. We already have a progression and regression system in the game that is not even close to being organic or realistic and instead relies on an Experience Points system commonly found in RPG's. We've also in recent years seen multiple game mechanics featuring quick-time events like the Fight for the Fumble or the Tackle Battle(or whatever it was called this year) where the user is doing less of a sports mechanic and more of a fighting game type of mechanic. To see the developers now start using terms like Boss Battles is worrying and we reserve the right to be cautious when thinking about what they could mean by boss battles.

If it is simply new goals that are player specific then it really isn't a huge addition football-wise. If these boss battles were instead revamping of practice in the game and strategy elements and I was able to have my team practice double teaming, chipping, play action-ing, etc. to counter JJ Watt and they progressed organically then it would be less worrying. However, given the track record of recent features we've seen added to the game, the terrible XP system we have now, and their lack of clarity when communicating I don't see how you can really fault the consumers here.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:27 AM   #27
MVP

pimpycraig's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Its not even the implementation, its that ia has zero to do with football.

Going up against JJ Watt this week, a coaching staff says are we sliding the line to him? Doubling him? Chipping? Madden says ďlets throw for 400 yards to get double xpĒ

There is such a disconnect between franchise players and madden.
Well said!
Old 05-04-2019, 06:39 AM   #28
Rookie

The Black Redneck's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Madden devs should know better than to use action-adventure or RPG terms when describing anything in the game, it causes people to panic. The Madden audience has selective hearing and reading abilities and many don't do their homework well enough to get clarification on what a thing means before flipping out.

Anyway, I'm actually very glad to hear that the ratings spread isn't in MUT. It makes it more likely that they will stay spread out since we won't have to hear the MUT crowd melting down over the lower rated players.
Seems like a lot of the Madden audience is just looking for errors or faults, in order to criticize. And in this case itís unnecessarily. I mean Boss battles, battle axe, battleship I donít care what itís call as long as it plays out well and is enjoyable.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #29
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
This isn't OS looking for something to go wrong, this is a developer not communicating well at all. To call it a boss battle is worrying and placing blame on the consumer for worrying and not doing their homework is incorrect here. The whole point of these streams and blog releases is to be clear and advertise what additions there are. If those are communicated poorly as they were this time around then that is not the fault of the consumer and it is not the consumer's job to do their homework to find out what the devs really meant in this instance. Placing blame on the audience for the developers poor communication is just laughable.

People have the right to be worried about the features with the way EA worded and with their track record with this franchise. We already have a progression and regression system in the game that is not even close to being organic or realistic and instead relies on an Experience Points system commonly found in RPG's. We've also in recent years seen multiple game mechanics featuring quick-time events like the Fight for the Fumble or the Tackle Battle(or whatever it was called this year) where the user is doing less of a sports mechanic and more of a fighting game type of mechanic. To see the developers now start using terms like Boss Battles is worrying and we reserve the right to be cautious when thinking about what they could mean by boss battles.

If it is simply new goals that are player specific then it really isn't a huge addition football-wise. If these boss battles were instead revamping of practice in the game and strategy elements and I was able to have my team practice double teaming, chipping, play action-ing, etc. to counter JJ Watt and they progressed organically then it would be less worrying. However, given the track record of recent features we've seen added to the game, the terrible XP system we have now, and their lack of clarity when communicating I don't see how you can really fault the consumers here.
This is well stated and I agree with some parts, but I don't think you can point at the developers when we heard a interview from Rex recently that the game is driven by marketing and the suits.

The term "boss battles" sounds like a term handled down by marketing.

As far as audiences go, I think it's been clear over the past several years that marketing and the suits are targeting the game to a much broader audience and not a niche audience such as OS.

Seen on Twitter about this issue:

Read it for the details and not what it's named as.

1. We will see when we will see. Show me don't tell me/wait and see mode etc
B. We aren't going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe again.
2. We aren't going to jump on the hype train yearly .
C. Better late than never
3. It was in before, can't call it new

Last edited by roadman; 05-04-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
This is well stated and I agree with some parts, but I don't think you can point at the developers when we heard a interview from Rex recently that the game is driven by marketing and the suits.

The term "boss battles" sounds like a term handled down by marketing.

As far as audiences go, I think it's been clear over the past several years that marketing and the suits are targeting the game to a much broader audience and not a niche audience such as OS.

Seen on Twitter about this issue:

Read it for the details and not what it's named as.

I guess the better way to phrase what I was saying is the blame should be on EA for using these terms and not communicating clearly. Sure, not everyone associated with Madden agrees with every feature of the game, the whole vision the suits set up for the game, but the blame still falls on the company producing the game in the end. The consumer doesn't get the blame because of the words EA is choosing to use, their lack of clarity, and their track record with adding gamey features over more authentic features.

It is a bit unfair to place the blame solely on the developers, you're right there. We've seen plenty of former EA employees like Rex or Ian show that their vision usually is more in line with ours than what we are led to believe based off of what the suits want put into the game. In the end the blame still falls on EA, but I think we can all understand that not all of the devs have the same vision to make Madden into what the suits want. We understand and feel for them, but the blame will still fall onto the company producing the game, not the consumers.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #31
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I agree the blame is on marketing and the suits on the direction of the game.

I agree somewhat about your assessment of not placing blame on the consumer, but I feel the consumer should know that the game is marketed towards the casual market.

1. We will see when we will see. Show me don't tell me/wait and see mode etc
B. We aren't going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe again.
2. We aren't going to jump on the hype train yearly .
C. Better late than never
3. It was in before, can't call it new
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 1

Is it safe to say that what has been revealed is all of the new additions for franchise this year? Any chance of OC/DC additions? Improved scouting/drafting? Improved injury system? Historical stat tracking?

I can probably answer my own question but still have to ask.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »