Home

GridIron Notes: Face Of The Franchise and Franchise Updates

This is a discussion on GridIron Notes: Face Of The Franchise and Franchise Updates within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #65
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: GridIron Notes: Face Of The Franchise and Franchise Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
Just taking what they give you is a terrible mindset as a consumer.
For some companies, I would agree, but based on Madden's past history, I'm not in total agreement unless marketing and the suits change their way of thinking of making the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2019, 03:32 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
For some companies, I would agree, but based on Madden's past history, I'm not in total agreement unless marketing and the suits change their way of thinking of making the game.

Like I said in the post above yours, this logic should not apply in this case.

I get what you are saying, but it doesn't not fit what we have with Madden right now. Until they stop saying they want to bring an authentic NFL experience then we have the right to complain. Until they stop trying to implement things for the sim crowd, then we have the right to complain. They actively say they want to appeal to the casual crowd and the sim crowd. By doing that, we in the sim crowd have every right to criticize it all.

If EA came out and said they want to make Madden for the casual crowd only and that they don't aim to bring an authentic and simulation-style of NFL football to your TV then we would no longer really have the right to criticize the way we are because they would have stated what their vision was and it would be illogical to still criticize the game for not being something it doesn't want to be.

This is not like a situation like you see with Escape from Tarkov which has clearly stated it is a hardcore tactical shooter than aims to recreate realistic mechanics over fun mechanics. That game has a clearly stated vision of what it wants to be. When people come to the forums of that game and complain about the realism and hardcore mechanics they are being illogical because the game's vision clearly states what is going for. That is not what is happening here with Madden and EA.They still claim to be aiming for an authentic experience that brings simulation-style gameplay so we still have the right to criticize how they are not achieving that in areas.

― Plato
Old 05-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #67
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Like I said in the post above yours, this logic should not apply in this case.

I get what you are saying, but it doesn't not fit what we have with Madden right now. Until they stop saying they want to bring an authentic NFL experience then we have the right to complain. Until they stop trying to implement things for the sim crowd, then we have the right to complain. They actively say they want to appeal to the casual crowd and the sim crowd. By doing that, we in the sim crowd have every right to criticize it all.

If EA came out and said they want to make Madden for the casual crowd only and that they don't aim to bring an authentic and simulation-style of NFL football to your TV then we would no longer really have the right to criticize the way we are because they would have stated what their vision was and it would be illogical to still criticize the game for not being something it doesn't want to be.

This is not like a situation like you see with Escape from Tarkov which has clearly stated it is a hardcore tactical shooter than aims to recreate realistic mechanics over fun mechanics. That game has a clearly stated vision of what it wants to be. When people come to the forums of that game and complain about the realism and hardcore mechanics they are being illogical because the game's vision clearly states what is going for. That is not what is happening here with Madden and EA.They still claim to be aiming for an authentic experience that brings simulation-style gameplay so we still have the right to criticize how they are not achieving that in areas.
I get what you are trying to say, I really do, but people have been criticizing for the past 13 years, and yet, here we are today.

This is the latest from the blog with CD Mike Young: The thought of an RPG irritated a lot of people back in Madden 13, but, does it still now?

Mike Young: “Franchise has come back to being a big focus on the game and it will continue to be,” Young says. “We just want to add this rich depth and immersion to it so we're starting to think about it more like a sports RPG.”

I see focus, depth, immersion and sports RPG. I'd like to find out more about boss battles vs one example, I'd like to find out if morale affects FA and or Franchise Tag, Trading Block, etc...... We have very limited information to go off of.

My point is that there is more information to dig into vs one example in a blog. My other point still holds, history is a good predictor of the future. I haven't seen or heard a developer lately state NFL authentic football is coming your way. Clint is radio silent till May23rd gameplay reveal.

Again, based on Rex's last interview last month and knowledge of the Ian years that marketing and suits drive the game, I just don't see anyone inside or outside of EA changing the way the game is made until proven otherwise.

Last edited by roadman; 05-06-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #68
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
I get what you are trying to say, I really do, but people have been criticizing for the past 13 years, and yet, here we are today.

This is the latest from the blog with CD Mike Young: The thought of an RPG irritated a lot of people back in Madden 13, but, does it still now?

Mike Young: “Franchise has come back to being a big focus on the game and it will continue to be,” Young says. “We just want to add this rich depth and immersion to it so we're starting to think about it more like a sports RPG.”

I see focus, depth, immersion and sports RPG. I'd like to find out more about boss battles vs one example, I'd like to find out if morale affects FA and or Franchise Tag, Trading Block, etc......

My point is that there is more information to dig into vs one example in a blog. My other point still holds, history is a good predictor of the future. I haven't seen or heard a developer lately state NFL authentic football is coming your way. Clint is radio silent till May23rd gameplay reveal.

Again, based on Rex's last interview last month and knowledge of the Ian years that marketing and suits drive the game, I just don't see anyone inside or outside of EA changing the way the game is made until proven otherwise.
The game will be criticized for the rest of its existence. I will criticize it annually. That does not mean I hate everything about it. I am still playing my franchise today. This is the longest after the NFL season I've ever continued to play Madden. I obviously like the game enough to keep playing. With my mod I use with my buddy in our franchise the game plays on the field as good as 2k8 just about so I am happy.

I also do not see the terms RPG and instantly hate it. I sit back and see what they want to bring to us and analyze how they implement it. I am not a fan of the XP system in the game. I was a fan of hiding the development traits until I learned how they implemented it and now think what they are doing is pointless. Some people may be turned off hearing terms like RPG and Boss Battles and not care to see what is about, but that doesn't describe me or probably the majority here. We are not complaining because of the term Boss Battle. We mocked the term a little, but most of our complaints fall into the implementation of these battles and how they seem to be nothing more than a modifier that influences the weekly goals you get.

They can call it Boss Battle or whatever they want, if we got the strategic elements we are asking for we'd be happy. That is not the case here and is why we are criticizing it so heavily.

Also, look at the past 5 years of Madden. We have had both the run and pass defenses get overhauled to appeal to a more authentic gameplay that is aimed at sim players. Run fits were for the sim crowd. The overhauled zones and the continuous addition of real zone coverages is aimed at the sim crowd. We literally just go a game mode called Simulation for the sim crowd along with the Arcade and Competitive modes for those crowds. So yes, they do continuously try to make the sim crowd happy along with the rest of their base.

― Plato
Old 05-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #69
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Was there more than one than one example of a boss battle? Did I miss something, if I did, sorry about that?
Old 05-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #70
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Was there more than one than one example of a boss battle? Did I miss something, if I did, sorry about that?

I don't think they've really expanded on it. If they did it could clear some things up... or give us more to complain about.

― Plato
Old 05-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #71
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I don't think they've really expanded on it. If they did it could clear some things up... or give us more to complain about.
Ok, well, let's hope that there are more Boss Battles that are more sim orientated vs tied to goals orientated.

I need to find out more what's behind curtain 1, 2 and 3 for the most part.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #72
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Something to look at when it comes to the whole SIM/casual/arcade thing is that CFM isn't bound by any of those. It's not like gameplay where there are specific Sim/Arcade/Comp tags that are specifically intended to provide a different experience. I know the jump gets made that because MUT is predominantly Comp therefore CFM should be Sim but that's not really the case at all.

I don't agree with it and I heavily dislike that it is the way it is but CFM since it's inception really has been geared towards the casual. You go back to the quote along the lines of if the 10-year old kid can't play it, what sense does it ever make to have deep features and how much emphasis has been placed on doing things quick and just getting through the mode at breakneck speed. Ideally, it'd be a mode where it'd be deep enough for those that want that experience to be satisfied with options to tone down how interactive you have to be and I think there have been baby steps towards that but things are so hamstrung by the direction CFM ultimately took that it's going to be hard to ever truly turn the tide on that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »