Home

Forbes Gaming Writer Has a Piece on Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on Forbes Gaming Writer Has a Piece on Franchise Mode within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
NASCAR Heat 4 Review
FIFA 20 Demo Available Now, Features Kick-Off Mode and VOLTA Football - Post Your Impressions Here
NBA 2K20 Review

Old 05-07-2019, 11:08 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Forbes Gaming Writer Has a Piece on Franchise Mode

I canít really disagree with the article generally speaking, but even if all of these things were fixed and added it would still fall short of what it should be. He is aiming too low in my opinion. I donít need Madden to outshine 2K necessarily, but I feel they should at least come really close in terms of features and depth. Again, even with everything from the article fixed and added it would not really compete with 2K19 IMO. A game thatís about one year behind at this point. I donít even care for the NBA or basketball, I just play 2K19 for the Franchise experience. It has itís issues but that can be said for every single game by any company.

Iím more of a franchise player, so I could live with Maddenís current level of gameplay for a far advanced Franchise experience. With that said, I think at minimum you have to get one or the other right. If Franchise mode is lacking then gameplay should be top notch and vice versa. One side should be rewarded at minimum when we are talking about a game this big on an yearly basis. Weíll see what they reveal for all of the new and refined gameplay, but given their track record Iím not holding my breath.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:22 AM   #10
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lions2k9
I canít really disagree with the article generally speaking, but even if all of these things were fixed and added it would still fall short of what it should be. He is aiming too low in my opinion. I donít need Madden to outshine 2K necessarily, but I feel they should at least come really close in terms of features and depth. Again, even with everything from the article fixed and added it would not really compete with 2K19 IMO. A game thatís about one year behind at this point. I donít even care for the NBA or basketball, I just play 2K19 for the Franchise experience. It has itís issues but that can be said for every single game by any company.

Iím more of a franchise player, so I could live with Maddenís current level of gameplay for a far advanced Franchise experience. With that said, I think at minimum you have to get one or the other right. If Franchise mode is lacking then gameplay should be top notch and vice versa. One side should be rewarded at minimum when we are talking about a game this big on an yearly basis. Weíll see what they reveal for all of the new and refined gameplay, but given their track record Iím not holding my breath.

Here's an interesting video I came across on YouTube tonight. I had no idea that EA was directly responsible for the creation of the 2K NFL franchise. You guys should give it a look. It's interesting to think that the development team that created 2K were originally hired by EA to create the first PS1 version of Madden, Madden 96. A version that ultimately got canned and we didn't get the first PS1 version until Madden 97.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vohicxpX63U
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 05-08-2019, 12:51 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

Pretty much everything concerning player differentiation sounds great so far (with the possible exception of Mahomes' Bazooka/80 yard pass ability; hopefully that doesn't rear its head very often). Still, I'm disappointed that coaching staffs and stat tracking didn't make it in. I don't think it's a stretch to say that the former has been the sim community's consensus number one want for the last couple of years.

In regards to injuries, I remember MoonlightSwami presenting a very sensible idea a few years ago about having separate injury sliders for each position. That might be a good first step to a bigger overhaul of the game's injury system.
MLS: San Jose Earthquakes
Football Championship: Brentford FC

RIP San Francisco Deltas | 2017 NASL Champions

M18: dmmfranchise Roster For Xbox One

My Flickr Account (Mostly Sports Photography)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #12
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lions2k9
I can’t really disagree with the article generally speaking, but even if all of these things were fixed and added it would still fall short of what it should be. He is aiming too low in my opinion. I don’t need Madden to outshine 2K necessarily, but I feel they should at least come really close in terms of features and depth. Again, even with everything from the article fixed and added it would not really compete with 2K19 IMO. A game that’s about one year behind at this point. I don’t even care for the NBA or basketball, I just play 2K19 for the Franchise experience. It has it’s issues but that can be said for every single game by any company.

I’m more of a franchise player, so I could live with Madden’s current level of gameplay for a far advanced Franchise experience. With that said, I think at minimum you have to get one or the other right. If Franchise mode is lacking then gameplay should be top notch and vice versa. One side should be rewarded at minimum when we are talking about a game this big on an yearly basis. We’ll see what they reveal for all of the new and refined gameplay, but given their track record I’m not holding my breath.
I agree with some of the stuff you said, but not the aiming low part.

Madden isn't going to change the way the make the game just like that. History tells us that there will be some changes here and there for all modes. Two different companies philosophies on how to make the game and market it.

I saw this debated a bit on Twitter, nba 2k had association mode for a real long time, but they added some things to it on a yearly basis and years later My League emerged. It took 3 or 4 years before a My League emerged after offline became My League.

The writer of the article added those five things at the end the would he felt would personally would make good additions for CFM. For me, his big want, a halftime/end of game show, doesn't really touch my radar because after a few times, I'll be skipping it anyway.

And I'm the opposite of you, to me, game play is king, and everything after that is icing on the cake. My games are 1.5 hours as it is and I just don't have the time anymore for playing at the most two games per week.

My opinion isn't greater than anyone else's, let's hope they continue to add onto CFM. I think the author's point was the additions they are adding this year sound good and I agree with him, just depends on how the execution of them go.

1. We will see when we will see. Show me don't tell me/wait and see mode etc
B. We aren't going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe again.
2. We aren't going to jump on the hype train yearly .
C. Better late than never
3. It was in before, can't call it new

Last edited by roadman; 05-08-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:57 AM   #13
Rookie

The Black Redneck's Arena

This is a good article and I agree with a lot of what he said. I been wanting coordinators back in the game and would like to see a coaching carousel. But It would have to be one thing that they donít water down for the causal crowds. coordinators and head coaches need to have an impact on schemes and the schemes need to have more of a impact on game day.

Also need to fix the gameís legacy.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #14
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJin2011tm
The ability to create a expansion team and take it into franchise mode would be nice. Also the ability to start franchise in the offseason would be nice too.

This would be great. Would love to re-do the draft for teams. I'm sure Giants fans would like that as well.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I agree with some of the stuff you said, but not the aiming low part.

Madden isn't going to change the way the make the game just like that. History tells us that there will be some changes here and there for all modes. Two different companies philosophies on how to make the game and market it.

I saw this debated a bit on Twitter, nba 2k had association mode for a real long time, but they added some things to it on a yearly basis and years later My League emerged. It took 3 or 4 years before a My League emerged after offline became My League.

The writer of the article added those five things at the end the would he felt would personally would make good additions for CFM. For me, his big want, a halftime/end of game show, doesn't really touch my radar because after a few times, I'll be skipping it anyway.

And I'm the opposite of you, to me, game play is king, and everything after that is icing on the cake. My games are 1.5 hours as it is and I just don't have the time anymore for playing at the most two games per week.

My opinion isn't greater than anyone else's, let's hope they continue to add onto CFM. I think the author's point was the additions they are adding this year sound good and I agree with him, just depends on how the execution of them go.
Definitely aiming too low. You even said his main want is something youíll just start skipping after a few times. Heís pushing create a team and injury presentation?? Thatís three out of five things in his article that donít really matter much. Itís not going to make Madden THAT much better. I want them in obviously but I donít see much of a true impact.

Game play is king for most players and I would be excited if it was overhauled. Iím just saying that even though Iíd prefer to see big leaps in franchise before game play right now, they at least need to have one of the two aspects at a high level. We can agree there, right? Right now we are both losing out and not getting what we want (I almost want to say ďdeserveĒ at this point). To basically be average or below in BOTH is unacceptable. Especially for this many years.

2K built on what they had. Madden seemed to quit that mindset when the ps3/360 launched. Then I thought with CFM in Madden 13 they were starting over with the mindset of building it up, and yet here we are. Thatís why NBA 2K is very deep and immersive overall at this point and Madden is far behind. 2K seems to have executed a plan over the last several years to build up the game. Thatís good business. Madden 20 gets a little more meat added and it may seem more promising right now, but thatís because the standard they set for an NFL video game product the last decade+ has been average or below.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2019, 10:12 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
Here's an interesting video I came across on YouTube tonight. I had no idea that EA was directly responsible for the creation of the 2K NFL franchise. You guys should give it a look. It's interesting to think that the development team that created 2K were originally hired by EA to create the first PS1 version of Madden, Madden 96. A version that ultimately got canned and we didn't get the first PS1 version until Madden 97.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vohicxpX63U
Thanks for posting, Iíve seen it though. Agreed itís a good watch if you havenít taken the time yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »