Home

Madden NFL 20 Gameplay Deep Dive Part I: Superstar X-Factors Blog

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 20 Gameplay Deep Dive Part I: Superstar X-Factors Blog within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #9
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Madden NFL 20 Gameplay Deep Dive Part I: Superstar X-Factors Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
no more athletic jumping ints for LBs isnt the solution i was looking for. there are LBs like Wagner, Keuchly, Lavonte David who are uber athletic

Read the whole thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

So, I expected the traits to be more intangible-related that delivered things the current ratings couldn't. Some of them are like that in a way, but things like this,

• Match-Up Nightmare – Gets open and wins contested catches when covered by a single linebacker or defensive lineman
  • Edge Rush Elite – Frequently uses dominant pass-rush moves when rushing from a defensive edge position
should not need a trait/ability to make happen, should they? If the players were rated properly and the ratings played out appropriately then this would happen naturally. Seems almost like an admission by EA that their ratings do not deliver enough and they must create artificial boosts to make players standout since the way they have the ratings set up doesn't allow it.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of making players play different and bring their own qualities and quirks to the roster, but I do find it a little funny they must add traits that simply make a player behave like the ratings should. I also don't know how to feel about the traits like completing a few passes allows your QB to throw it 80 yards all of a sudden. That and the Tom Brady trait that makes his OL keep their blocks longer are things I find gamey and not what I think of when I think of making the players play more unique and true to life. As good as a QB Tom Brady is, he doesn't have the magical ability to make his OL better than they are in the way Madden is making it.

― Plato
Old 05-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #11
MVP

reverend_heat's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
no more athletic jumping ints for LBs isnt the solution i was looking for. there are LBs like Wagner, Keuchly, Lavonte David who are uber athletic
"However, we have picked out the best “ball-in-air” LBs and equipped them with a Superstar ability to allow them to get up in the air and make spectacular catches when applicable."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #12
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I like how Clint added in a lot of gameplay info that didn't necessarily have anything to do with the Superstar abilities.

Changes to the passing trajectories is obviously a good thing- It is going to take me a minute to get use to not using double tap on medium passes though.

The changes to pass rushing has me really fired up. Without slider work Madden has always allowed to much time in the pocket(unless players were using nanos or other exploits)

Nerfing the Lurking Linebackers-It doesn't really affect me, but it's good for H2H play.

The animation polish stuff is potentially huge too-Lessening the typical Madden jank will make everyone happy.

A lot of people are going to be pissed about different game speeds being gone. They probably didn't want to add all of the testing time that would be needed to get the animations correct for the other speeds. I liked playing on fast myself, but like the people who like the slower speeds, we'll all just have adjust.

I personally think that ball hawk should be out of the game instead of being on by default, but since I can turn if off and don't play H2H, I'm not going to worry about. it.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I also wonder if the clock accelerating on its own now is still turned off in the final 2 minutes of each half? I never understood why that was a thing in the first place, but I'd imagine it will be like the regular accelerated clock is now and be turned off in the final 2 minutes with no way for the user to change that which is unfortunate.

― Plato
Old 05-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #14
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0

Wow. One of the best blogs I’ve ever seen out of madden. Lol

As usual, everything is a wait and see, but, seriously, wow.

I know qb animations has been huge on this forum. The 3 players they showed looked good. Again, we’re not seeing the final product and whether they’re triggered properly, but the animations looked true to Rogers and Brees.

It’ll be interesting to see how well pump fakes work. I’m a strictly offline vs cpu player, so not concerned with h2h, but curious how well this will work. Also, minority concerned with double tap no longer being a ‘touch pass.’ I actually used that quite a bit. But, I’ll adjust to press and hold. I’m ok with that.

I really hope they have some play action stuff. Matt Ryan has an excellent play action ability, and I could see him having a superstar ability for that. It would be cool to see more fake outs on the D than are currently available in madden. Play action is almost nonexistent.

I like auto strafe being removed as well. I always turned that off and like controlling the strafe. But, even with it tuned off, my players would still strafe when I wasn’t telling them to.

All of the ‘polish’ elements sound great. Even the little things like altering the replay times. This has been long overdue. U can always press the A button to pass through it, but they really just needed to tone it down a little. Sounds like better player reactions, or players getting up quickly when going to ground. Again, sounds like a small thing, but it can really make an overall difference in the look and feel of the game.

I have to admit, I thought this might be the year I really waited a few months to get the game while I continued to play 19. I actually am still enjoying 19 (I could complain about a lot of it, but I’m still enjoying it as well, lol), and with the last few years of constant patching, I thought I’d wait. But, I’m actually really curious to see the superstar abilities in action. And, honestly, after this blog, alone, am really curious to see if the animations are really cleaned up or not.

Clint also mentioned on the stream that they’re really trying to account for size and weight for momentum involved in tackling. He mentioned a superstar ability, the ‘enforcer,’ where this player would be a big hitter regardless of size. I think of a Brian dawkins player for that. That guy could hit anyone regardless of size difference. And, Clint mentioned further tweaking to big hit tackles, in general.

For all of these things, will have to play to see, for sure. I have ea access, so I always get the 10 hour trial. I’m looking forward to seeing just how polished the game is OOTB, and how some of these new features look in the game, and just overall gameplay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2019, 08:42 PM   #15
Rookie

TheDominator273's Arena

OVR: 0

The Madden devs continue to be out of touch with what the community wants. Unless I'm wowed in the EA Access trial there's no way I'm spending money on this year's game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2019, 08:46 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
So, I expected the traits to be more intangible-related that delivered things the current ratings couldn't. Some of them are like that in a way, but things like this,

• Match-Up Nightmare – Gets open and wins contested catches when covered by a single linebacker or defensive lineman
  • Edge Rush Elite – Frequently uses dominant pass-rush moves when rushing from a defensive edge position
should not need a trait/ability to make happen, should they? If the players were rated properly and the ratings played out appropriately then this would happen naturally. Seems almost like an admission by EA that their ratings do not deliver enough and they must create artificial boosts to make players standout since the way they have the ratings set up doesn't allow it.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of making players play different and bring their own qualities and quirks to the roster, but I do find it a little funny they must add traits that simply make a player behave like the ratings should. I also don't know how to feel about the traits like completing a few passes allows your QB to throw it 80 yards all of a sudden. That and the Tom Brady trait that makes his OL keep their blocks longer are things I find gamey and not what I think of when I think of making the players play more unique and true to life. As good as a QB Tom Brady is, he doesn't have the magical ability to make his OL better than they are in the way Madden is making it.
I agree.
Some of the abilites should be covered by ratings. I can see some users taking advantage of Match up ability. I can some audibling to a different set and getting that matchup against that LB.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »