Home

Removed game speeds?

This is a discussion on Removed game speeds? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #25
MVP

Rayzaa's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Removed game speeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo12308
I see a lot of people discuss game speed in relation to animations, but did anyone else use it for difficulty purposes?

I play on all-madden and have always struggled to get a realistic challenge out of the game, mostly due to poor decision-making by the CPU. I felt like if the sliders were set in a way to make the game play fairly and realistically, then I’d win 95% of games. In order to lose I had to make ridiculous adjustments to sliders like absurdly quick CPU block sheds, or insanely high CPU completion percentages (if their QB completed under like 85% of their passes, I’d win every time), or adjust my WR catching or CPU coverage so that I can’t hit deep strikes. (I have never, even once, completed a contested catch more than 30-40 yards down the field in M19, and I play with the Eagles and Alshon Jeffrey. Also, my receivers only ever outrun the coverage if they have an advantage of 8-10 speed on the DB. If my receiver is 95 speed and their defender is 89, my receiver is smothered on go routes.)

I design it that way because that’s the only way I’ll ever lose. However, game speeds have been something that I could use to retain some “fairness” while also making the game much harder. I would play on very fast almost exclusively so that I had much less time to react and make decisions. That way, I could have a game where my runner only has 2YPC and it was because I missed the holes, not because the CPU insta-shedded every block. The cpu would rip off big runs not because my defenders tackled like limp rags due to sliders, but because I missed a key tackle because it happened in the blink of an eye. The biggest change was for my passing game. If the game speed was on normal, I’d have to have my QB sail every other throw or the CPU defenders be running my receivers routes for them or my OLINE just falling out of the way of blocks in order to prevent me from just marching down the field. When everything speeds up to very fast I could have normal amounts of accuracy, normal amounts of separation, and normal blocking abilities and it would still be hard to pass because everything is happening insanely quickly. My decision to go first read or second read had to happen almost immediately after the snap based on the initial movements of the defense because I literally wouldn’t have the time to move my eyes from 1 side of the screen to the other before the window was gone or the pass rush got to me.

Very fast game speed was a game saver for me because it leveled the playing field between the very poor decision making CPU and myself, and it did so without me feeling like I was playing with highschoolers against a bunch of gods with the power to see into the future.
Yes I don't get the animation comments. It would drive me nuts to have things moving so slowly just to see a animation that I can see in a instant replay and slow it down. But, to each their own.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #26
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

I used to play on slow, but they recalibrated the game speeds several years ago and normal feels a lot like slow did back then.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #27
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzaa
Yes I don't get the animation comments. It would drive me nuts to have things moving so slowly just to see a animation that I can see in a instant replay and slow it down. But, to each their own.
But the problem is that you can't go into instant replay and see the animation... because it never happened. Playing on slow or very slow gave you "new" animations that rarely ever play out on normal and faster game speeds. So the people who are talking about the animations, are talking about animations you have probably never seen play out smoothly.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:06 PM   #28
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

It also depended on your slider settings.

If you were far away from 50 with normal or fast game speeds, yes, animations would seem wonkier.

The closer to 50 the slider settings were, the closer the players would play to their abilities and you saw less animation wonkiness.

I need to see this more up close and personal vs declaring game speed is dead in the waters at this moment. I do find odd though that there aren't more options. We will see soon enough.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:02 PM   #29
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I used to play on slow, but they recalibrated the game speeds several years ago and normal feels a lot like slow did back then.
I’m glad you said this. I used to play on slow and nothing else until it was changed.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #30
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaReal Milticket
Yeah, I think its a bad move tbh. If anything get the game to work on slow, normal, fast. Some ppl want it faster than normal and slower than normal. This is something only Madden would do. Can't get it to work,scrap it instead of finding a solution & make everyone play the same way - bingo! Its 2019 and we are now down to ONE game speed. NBA2k has 2 speed settings that I can tune in 1pt intervals up or down. 2k's not like umm umm guys we can't figure it out...and get it to work right so ah ya... Who knows maybe it will be a back of the box feature "Now one game speed for all to enhance you're experience!" Or it comes back in the future " Introducing new game speeds"

Taking away options from the gamer is never a good thing.

This definitely slowed my roll for Madden 20....
While I always play on normal speed, I was disappointed to see game speed options taken away, for those who wish to play on slower or faster speeds. Other than the HB hand-off hitch, I don't remember many folks here having issues when adjusting speeds. Sorry for you folks. I will say that Madden 19 normal speed did feel slower than 17, so maybe the default speed won't be as much of a factor.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #31
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice
While I always play on normal speed, I was disappointed to see game speed options taken away, for those who wish to play on slower or faster speeds. Other than the HB hand-off hitch, I don't remember many folks here having issues when adjusting speeds. Sorry for you folks. I will say that Madden 19 normal speed did feel slower than 17, so maybe the default speed won't be as much of a factor.
The handoff hitch & the kick returning hitch was something the team seemed to struggle with all yr. They never fixed it, don't know if they really tried or not during the yr. I think maybe some of the new rpo stuff might have something to do with it as well. Who knows the one speed might actually be different then what normal is now. I'll adapt and will probably feel right at home after awhile. Yrs & yrs of playing on other speeds even going back to NCAA, it's just going to take time to get used to. If it makes the gameplay solid, that's ultimately what I'm looking for in the end. I'll find a way to make the game play how I want it to play, always do.

Last edited by Darth Aegis; 05-11-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #32
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaReal Milticket
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've always been a very slow/slow kind of Madden player. Pretty disappointed with this news. Seems like instead of finding a way to include other speeds it was just easier removing them ( like a EA thing to do) just speculating however. I also felt like normal is pinball speed and everyone is ice skating. I'll have to wait to get the game in my hands. I hold out hope I'll get used to it. I'm still buying the game but we'll see. I hope that speed & movement is much improved over 19.

Also saddened by this. Been there since Madden 08. They seem to always take one step forward and 2 steps backwards

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »