Home

Madden's aging fanbase

This is a discussion on Madden's aging fanbase within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2019, 11:15 PM   #89
MVP

OVR: 2
Madden's aging fanbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Every year the game attempts to capture what the developers think the fans (that's all fans not just us sim fans) want to see, I'm sure that data is compiled from market research.

So what you end up with is not necessarily the real NFL but the fans perception of what they think the NFL is. And by the fans, again I mean overall, and yes that includes all of the public even casual fans.

That's why Madden will never be a true sim, because a large portion of NFL fans want to have an enjoyable game that is fun, not necessarily a direct representative of the NFL.

This is why they are removing the walk-up to the line for example. Most fans are fine with that. Us simulation fans don't like it, but most people will be like "oh that's a good idea, get to the action quicker".

Thanks for the reply! So, this would not be embodying the NFL spirit, but embodying what the Devs think the fans want in a football game. I can understand that perspective. I just think they touch zero on what the NFL is all any level. Maybe that is my disconnect.

Last edited by goillini03; 06-07-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:11 AM   #90
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden's aging fanbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini03
Thanks for the reply! So, this would not be embodying the NFL spirit, but embodying what the Devs think the fans want in a football game. I can understand that perspective. I just think they touch zero on what the NFL is all any level. Maybe that is my disconnect.
I think you need to go a step further and kind of by pass the Devs and go for Marketing and the suits, based on Ian's and Rex's testimonial interviews.

Both Ian and Rex tried, but came up short going up against the powers to be.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #91
Rookie

OVR: 0

Even though I'm apparently much younger than most of the people in this thread, I agree with a lot of the sentiments in here.

I'm 23. My first Madden wasn't til '07 with Shaun Alexander on the cover and I only had it on Gamecube lol. Wasn't really an NFL fan until the age of 11 or so when the Texans started being OK. I LOVED the franchise mode on '07 though even though looking back the gameplay itself was horrid on Gamecube. The player roles, the Tony Bruno show. I would play that mode for hours when I was younger. I got an XBOX360 and got Madden 08 and even loved that game even with those stupid player weapons lol. I got every Madden 09 thru "Madden 25" and then didn't buy another Madden until most recently Madden 19 which I've since stopped playing.

I couldn't care any less about playing MUT. It takes too long to get a good team and I'm not paying money out of pocket to buy virtual players lol F that. I play online head-to-head some but the main draw for me to get Madden has and always will be to play Franchise Mode. But of course recently they've dumbed it down so much that I play 1-2 years of the mode and start over to try another team or something. The mode's replay value is completely gone. I wish so much that they would make franchise mode back how it was in '07 where it was so deep and had so many cool features. I miss Tony Bruno
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #92
Rookie

Something I've noticed, and I don't know if this is at all related to age or not, but a lot of people here do not know how games are developed and what goes into game development. To the point I saw people over on the 2K board still act as if disk space is an issue that devs face. And what's even more strange is seeing people who acknowledge that what they want is niche relative to the entire fanbase of Madden(that being more sim features resembling actual football and football operations) yet still act shocked at how everything is handled. Seeing people tweet at devs as if they really got that much pull is wild, if yall know anything bout games yall know that they aint got as much pull as we want or as they want.

Anyways, the aging fanbase is a minority relative to the Madden fanbase. Yall aint the ones they care to placate and cater to. The game is the game sadly
Old 06-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #93
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlegacy
Something I've noticed, and I don't know if this is at all related to age or not, but a lot of people here do not know how games are developed and what goes into game development. To the point I saw people over on the 2K board still act as if disk space is an issue that devs face. And what's even more strange is seeing people who acknowledge that what they want is niche relative to the entire fanbase of Madden(that being more sim features resembling actual football and football operations) yet still act shocked at how everything is handled. Seeing people tweet at devs as if they really got that much pull is wild, if yall know anything bout games yall know that they aint got as much pull as we want or as they want.

Anyways, the aging fanbase is a minority relative to the Madden fanbase. Yall aint the ones they care to placate and cater to. The game is the game sadly

Unfortunately the prominent and loud competitive players on social media do have a good amount of pull and the changes we've seen over the recent releases all but confirms that.

I'm still of the opinion that the casual crowd and the sim crowd want a lot of the same things, but I know that a lot of sim oriented forums including this place have used the last 10+ years to make most of the sim crowd believe they are a small minority that just wants authentic football while everyone else wants to play Madden like it is NFL Street and NFL Blitz. That really isn't the truth. Most fans of sports games just want a product that looks, feels, and behaves like the real thing. To what degree is where the sim community starts to separate itself. To the average casual gamer out there Madden still doesn't look, feel, or behave enough like the NFL to them, but they still buy the game like the vast majority here do so why should EA change their approach? To them it is working. It doesn't matter if they get most of their sales mainly because they are the only NFL game in town or not. All EA sees is the $$$ and they are high enough they think their current path, as inconsistent as it has been, is the right path. Add in that the competitive crowd is incredibly vocal, and obnoxious, and EA pats themselves on the back thinking they are delivering what the masses really want.

― Plato
Old 09-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #94
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Old thread but a good thread. I’m 41 and just today I realized that all that depth we pine for from the 6th generation (PS2/Xbox) of consoles is likely just too much for me at this stage. As I play through a player CFM on Madden 20 where there’s one practice each week followed by the game then repeat for next week is just deep enough for the time that we as older games have.

It also has impacted the level of difficulty I use when I game. I don’t have the time or desire to “git gud” so if a level gives me a decent enough challenge to where my team can lose but I still can be successful as well then I’ll roll with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-18-2020, 08:47 PM   #95
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

I'm 32. 1st Madden I spent a lot of time with was Madden 2000. Honestly the team building aspect is more fun in MUT. With an actual team chemistry boost it's fun building a packers theme team every year. I mostly play solos though. Franchise has a lot of issues and it's getting harder to stay invested. Hopefully November will breath a little bit of life into franchise.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2020, 12:25 AM   #96
Rookie

54 been playing since commodore 64 and I will be buying the PS5 so I can enjoy Ray tracing on the Helmet's I think it will really help with making them look more realistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »