Home

Madden's aging fanbase

This is a discussion on Madden's aging fanbase within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2019, 04:21 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Madden's aging fanbase

I feel the same way TheEndisnear, gameplay was at its peak around 04 now the younger generation expects these versions of madden. I dont know if you all visit other forums, but u would be surprised at the complaints EA has to deal with. Im talking people furious over any incompletions not resulting from a defender knocking the ball loose. This is why the arc, comp, and sim modes were so important for EA to get right, but they didnt so Madden is and will be in this no side wins phase for years to come. Just my 2 cents, Madden 20 is bringing some great additions but they are going to be animations. Mark my words pump fake with send defenders into triggered animations like the juke and spin does. As far as badges and abilites go what are the attributes for then. Edelman is terrific in the slot and that should be shown through a slot routerunning rating, if TB12 completes multiple passes his o-line shouldnt artificially be able to hold blocks longer.

Last edited by 318boy; 05-30-2019 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:05 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 8

56 years old! Started with TV Sports Football on the Amiga 500, moved to the FBPRO series and on to the Madden Series.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:08 AM   #35
Rookie

Cato06's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
Things definitely change as you get older and other things take precedence(marriage, family etc). I think back to how many hours i logged playing Franchise Mode in Madden and Dynasty Mode in NCAA between the ages of 15-35. Too many to count. But once i got married and started a family, there just isn't enough time...which in reality makes it easier to pass on Madden or any other game for that matter when they dont come correct. I dont wanna spend what little time i do have to game frustrated because a game is halfbaked.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Operation Sports mobile app

I’m in a similar situation, however I feel football is actually the easiest of all sports games to still rifle through many seasons. Only 16 games + playoffs. EA made this a lot easier to accomplish with play the moments and supersim. I have kids, house, job etc, so I spend a majority of time playing on weekends or late at night when kids asleep, and I’m still getting at least 6-7 seasons deep in franchise mode. So it’s still possible with football. Right now I’m playing nba 2k19 and I’ve already noticed how much time it’s gonna take me to build my player up in the neighborhood mode which I’m not too confident I have that kinda time. But football I feel it’s still possible. But I also agree with a lot of posts on here that it gets stale after a couple seasons cause the mode just is not deep enough right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2019, 08:13 AM   #36
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

59 here. I played some of the early madden games on the sega genesis but I liked Quarterback Club and Joe Montana football more. When the Sega deamcast came out I was full on into 2k football. With the PS 1 I tried madden but liked NFL Gameday more. Original Xbox again tried Madden but liked NFL Fever and the NFL 2k games more. And of course finally started playing Madden full time when it became the only game in town. Worst thing to ever happen to video gaming.

I have every Madden from 2005 through 2019 and the thing that stands out the most is how inconsistent this company has been over the years. You would think there would be constant improvement each year but that has not been the case.

As far as cut scenes go I don't mind them , if you're in a hurry hold X or A and skip them.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:00 AM   #37
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

47 years young and I've been playing football since the 3v3 Atari football.

Madden on the Sega Genesis was one of my favorites, I was in the Marines at that time and we would play the heck out of that game.

FPS Football was probably my favorite by Sierra. FPS 97 with Barry Sanders on the cover was such an awesome game! I also liked 4th and Inches on the C64.

After the military and back home out on my own, I really didn't get into Madden much. Sure I would purchase it every year, but I never really played it more than a season.

Then came Madden 19, what a fantastic game. I'm just finishing up 2023 and it's still a blast to play. I'm definitely excited for Madden 20.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #38
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

I’m in my 40s so I’ve been playing Madden for a long time like many here and like most I had big expectations for this generation of consoles and what Madden would bring to the table. A franchise mode beyond our wildest dreams, graphics that would be photorealistic, gameplay depth and stat tracking the like of which we’d never seen. The promise was huge. Instead we’ve been given card collecting modes, death by a thousand micro transactions and if you aren’t a tournament player with a strong social media presence little more than a passive acknowledgement that you even exist from developers. So it isn’t my age or my commitments that are the reason why I’m playing less Madden than ever, it’s the game itself sadly.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:23 AM   #39
MVP

Rayzaa's Arena

55....that sounds funny being that age and still playing video games but football is pretty much the only thing I play. Occasionally I play The Show, but very occasionally.
I had knee replacements which is why i been able to play as much as I have with 2019. That's going to end here in mid June lol. Back to work.

Started with Tecmo Bowl,which I don't know why some think that game is so great. So glad Madden came around and replaced that game. It got boring cause it was so easy.

I never buy Madden every year and it had some real good ones with player attitudes, interest in resigning, coordinators, players becoming coaches, I think we could do front or back loaded contracts as well, create a player, etc.
Needs to have realistic contracts, 5th year options, RFA, etc
Better stats emersion as to what team a player was with in career stats, past MVPs, etc.

2K5 I think has been my favorite so far though but Madden was pretty good at a time. Has gone downhill though I love the relocation addition.

Seen some guys make a relocation league on YouTube (RFL) which is pretty cool. Just need to fix it so every team is mentioned. I keep saying this but imo it's a big deal.

Last edited by Rayzaa; 05-30-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:13 PM   #40
Pro

Yeah. I am definitely part of that aging crowd and I feel that for the most part, EA and other video game publishers long have stopped catering to me. People in my generation just want to play the game. We want to build our franchise and that's it. We don't care about story mode. We don't care about mut and we really don't even care much about online.

But I don't dwell on it much because the reality is I am not 20 years old in college anymore. I am lucky if I am able to get in 3 games a week. I have a lot of other things competing for my time. If EA gets to the point where all of their resources are devoted to the things that today's 17 year old kids want, then so be it... I'll just walk away. Even if EA gave everything on my wish list, I still won't be able to play more than a few times a week anyway.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »