Home

Should the X-Abilities be expanded to be available to all players?

This is a discussion on Should the X-Abilities be expanded to be available to all players? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Should all players have the potential to have abilities?
Yes 13 44.83%
No 10 34.48%
You really typed all of that? 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2019, 12:25 PM   #25
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Should the X-Abilities be expanded to be available to all players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzaa
No, thats not what im saying. Im saying Bradys X factor should not give his OL an X factor to be able to block better.
Especially when it’s Brady getting rid of the ball quickly, NOT their blocking, that results in so few sacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I said the same thing when the system was announced. It likely isn't going anywhere so I'd like to see it expanded on and used in a better way so that all players in the league have true strengths and weaknesses in ways that their ratings have failed to do so in 10-15 years now.

If the ratings actually worked like most fans would like them to and the difference between an 80 catch and 70 catch actually mattered then this scenario would probably be different, but we stand here now with a ratings system that hasn't made players feel truly unique now for nearly two whole decades. We do have an abilities system that might finally bring some true "unique-ness" to players. If it works like EA is claiming it does then it is possibly our best hope at getting all players from superstars to role players to behave more like themselves.
Meh, when I see some of the remarkable things Pat Mahomes does with off-balance, sidearm passes (and to a lesser extent, Aaron Rodgers and even a couple guys like Jimmy Garoppolo), the anilities thing seems pretty necessary (if it comes with custom animations). Only a few qbs can do that sort of thing, so you notice it when you see it.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #26
MVP

Rayzaa's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Especially when it’s Brady getting rid of the ball quickly, NOT their blocking, that results in so few sacks.

Meh, when I see some of the remarkable things Pat Mahomes does with off-balance, sidearm passes (and to a lesser extent, Aaron Rodgers and even a couple guys like Jimmy Garoppolo), the anilities thing seems pretty necessary (if it comes with custom animations). Only a few qbs can do that sort of thing, so you notice it when you see it.
Agree. Rivers does the same and why his OL dont give up a lot of sacks. He gets rid of it or throws it away. His OL is averge at best and us fans have been whining for OL upgrades for at least 5 years and right into this past draft. We got one in the draft and Forrest Lamp coming back healthy to participate in his 1st TC. Crazy its his first since he was drafted.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #27
Pro

People are missing the point. Just because the abilities would be available to everyone doesn't mean that everyone would have them.

Y'all are acting like the best players in the league are 10x better than their peers... they are NOT! The NFL is 90% good players, 8% great players, and 2% HOF players. Madden is worried about separating the HOF players from the good players, when they should be trying to separate the good players from themselves. In Madden, if you give 2 players the exact same attributes, those two players are going to play identical to one another. In NBA 2K, you can copy Curry's attributes to another player, but have them play totally differently due to badges and tendencies. Madden needs to take note and create the uniqueness that NFL players actually have.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:52 PM   #28
Pro

Quote:
But Jimmy won't be able to do it in Madden because he's not a superstar.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid OS
People are missing the point. Just because the abilities would be available to everyone doesn't mean that everyone would have them.

Y'all are acting like the best players in the league are 10x better than their peers... they are NOT! The NFL is 90% good players, 8% great players, and 2% HOF players. Madden is worried about separating the HOF players from the good players, when they should be trying to separate the good players from themselves. In Madden, if you give 2 players the exact same attributes, those two players are going to play identical to one another. In NBA 2K, you can copy Curry's attributes to another player, but have them play totally differently due to badges and tendencies. Madden needs to take note and create the uniqueness that NFL players actually have.

This is basically what I was trying to say in the OP, but failed somewhere. Seems a lot of people think opening the potential for all players to have abilities will just make everyone play similarly and defeats the purpose of the system. NBA 2k's badge system shuts that argument down in a hurry. Not every player would have an ability, some would have 1 or two abilities, some would have a handful, stars would have many.

I am more or less asking that if we are going to have an ability system then would you rather it be the way EA is going about it this year or be expanded to match what 2k has done with their badge system. The badge system + tendencies has been unbelievable in 2k in getting players to play differently from one another. Stars play like stars, role players play their roles. That is all I am wanting from Madden.

― Plato
Old 06-09-2019, 01:35 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Here are some screenshots that help show how the badges in 2k don't make every player feel the same, but actually bring about differentiation between players. You can see players rated similarly will have different badges that show what type of player they are. Trae Young vs Marcus Smart. Okafor vs Allen. Then you can see how a young star like Williamson has many abilities that really separates him from the other players that are all role players(Marcus Smart), solid rotation players(Okafor and Allen), or potential great players(Trae Young). Everyone having access to badges does not act the same way as inflating ratings in Madden. It is the exact opposite. The role players have their clear and cut badges that specify their roles. The stars have all sorts of badges that really show off their tools and why they are the studs they are.

Spoiler

― Plato
Old 06-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
You think Nathan Peterman should have access to ANY special ability?

Well I guess his x-factor could be called "Other Team's MVP" or perhaps "Interception Machine."
I never said every player should have an ability. Bad players would still have none. I edited the OP to try and clear things up because it has become obvious there is much confusion about what exactly I was meaning.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #32
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I never said every player should have an ability. Bad players would still have none. I edited the OP to try and clear things up because it has become obvious there is much confusion about what exactly I was meaning.

The title is misleading if this is your thought. Should all players have distinguishing traits to make them more realistic to their real-life counterparts? Absolutely. Should everyone have x-abilities in Madden? Absolutely not. Should they be available for all players to get in Madden? Only if they prove to be next level over a long period of time, which is how the current system is set up in CFM.

http://www.tzr.io/yarn-clip/91169684...d-a3cae2582ee0

Last edited by PhillyPhanatic14; 06-09-2019 at 03:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »