Home

Uncertainty Surrounds Madden 20's Superstar X-Factors

This is a discussion on Uncertainty Surrounds Madden 20's Superstar X-Factors within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #81
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Uncertainty Surrounds Madden 20's Superstar X-Factors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
what would represent football in a video game?
Real little men playing inside our TVs. Guys like Chuck Bednarik in AFB2K8.

Quote:
By contrast, Chuck Bednarik said yes. But only after the game maker cleared a few things up for the man who nearly ended Frank Gifford's career.

"We were on the phone, and I actually had to explain that he would not physically be in the television set," recalls Sandra Tabata, who works at IMG World, the agency 2K Sports used to locate former players. "The younger guys are familiar with it, but some of the older guys, they didn't even know what video game technology was."

IMG World account director Marc Reeves concurs.

"The guys who are in their 60s and 70s were under the impression that the game was going to represent what they can do today," Reeves says. "They thought they would have to go run the 40-[yard dash] for us."
After that article, one of the guys in our online league posted this:

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #82
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
what would represent football in a video game?

Is this a serious question?

Why have a football in a football video game?

Why have a football field in a football video game?

Why have any on field AI at all in a football video game?

Having realistic things play out in a football video game would represent football in a video game. Exactly what those other two were describing.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #83
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Is this a serious question?

Why have a football in a football video game?

Why have a football field in a football video game?

Why have any on field AI at all in a football video game?

Having realistic things play out in a football video game would represent football in a video game. Exactly what those other two were describing.
It is a serious question which I was asking of another on this thread. My position is there is more than one way to replicate the game of football in a video game. But apparently to some, there is only one way. The latter seems rather limiting and too rigid.

I would say "realistic" is a poor term, and would rather use, "convincing" or "believable."
Old 06-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #84
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Has anyone here seen the movie - "This is Spinal Tap"? If so, you probably are well aware of the scene with Nigel and the amps which go to 11. Well, if you have a JuJu at his full ratings, but then you need to show him at one of those moments where he defies gravity, etc. then you need something in the game which replicates his ability to make the great move or catch, he needs the ability to go to 11.

Bring in x-factors. This adds in that top level which the standout players have that truly make them top tier in a league filled with the greatest athletes in their sport.

but at the same time, 11 is a relative point. Eleven can be achieved by moving a rating up, or pushing other ratings down. It is about the differentiation between numbers, not the numbers. We have a madden scale of ratings from 1-100, or 70-100 depending on how you want to look at it. We have a player at 97, how much better can he get? Well, we could boost him to 100, and/or lower some players around him. This in effect expands the rating scale, giving more flexibility and room to replicate action on the field that is seen in the NFL.

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 06-13-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #85
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
It is a serious question which I was asking of another on this thread. My position is there is more than one way to replicate the game of football in a video game. But apparently to some, there is only one way. The latter seems rather limiting and too rigid.

I would say "realistic" is a poor term, and would rather use, "convincing" or "believable."
Realistic is not a poor term. And I agree that unrealistic is far less limiting than realistic. Unrealistic would allow for shoving rockets up players bums for a speed boost. I guess that would be another way to replicate a speed increase.

Those other two are right about the correct way to implement those xfactor traits.

Reducing a players speed by 2 points because of another players xfactor is neither convincing or believable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #86
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Realistic is not a poor term. And I agree that unrealistic is far less limiting than realistic. Unrealistic would allow for shoving rockets up players bums for a speed boost. I guess that would be another way to replicate a speed increase.

Those other two are right about the correct way to implement those xfactor traits.
Okay then, thank you for your opinion..I will consider our discussion closed.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #87
MVP

I absolutely love the downright Orwellian use of "realism" in these discussions. TIL players always running at a constant speed is "realistic". No one plays to their peak potential at all times.

Last edited by stinkubus; 06-13-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #88
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
I absolutely love the downright Orwellian use of "realism" in these discussions. TIL players always running at a constant speed is "realistic". No one plays to their peak potential at all times.
Exactly how I see the situation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »