Home

I love the idea of superstar abilities but..

This is a discussion on I love the idea of superstar abilities but.. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2019, 03:19 AM   #65
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: I love the idea of superstar abilities but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I'm down with most of the SS/XF abilities, but the Gambler ability where the QB can't be intercepted by the AI when they're in the zone is absurd. I'm stunned that Clint and the other gameplay devs think that this is a good ability to have in the game.
It's because everything is built around H2H play with little to no consideration for anything else. So while as a User v. CPU player, I look at that and think it's dumb while H2H players like it because it emphasizes having to click on rather than letting the AI play for you. It's unfortunate that no matter what gamestyle you play, it still heavily revolves around H2H principles. I saw another discussion the other day between H2H players where they agreed that they'd rather have zones play worse and be able to click on faster than zones play better. And that's totally fine within the H2H place but I absolutely don't think that should be the case on anything but the Comp setting.

But getting back to topic, there's also X-Factors that do absolutely nothing for the CPU and are pretty much worthless for them to earn like Russell Wilson's Blitz Radar and whichever one highlights the first open receiver. Luckily, X-Factors haven't played a large role in any of my time with the game so Gambler doesn't bother me that much but some of the Deadeye abilities where you get perfect accuracy and anything with absolutes I'm not really a fan of.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #66
Pro

Executor's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I'm down with most of the SS/XF abilities, but the Gambler ability where the QB can't be intercepted by the AI when they're in the zone is absurd. I'm stunned that Clint and the other gameplay devs think that this is a good ability to have in the game.
Maybe I am wrong but I think the Gambler ability can be deactivated with a pair of incompletions/drops, so in theory a guy like Rodgers could be out of the zone pretty quickly (good coverage here, bad drop by reciever there, and that's it). No interceptions does not necessarily have to mean perfect accuracy.

In fact, I am much more concerned with the "Deadeyes", as they could turn the games into blowouts (or college-type shootouts) pretty quickly. Especially if the CPU does not use high-low passes, which are the only ones where the Deadeye mechanic does not apply.
Marshall Thundering Herd
Los Angeles Dodgers

"Greater than I, lesser than I, what does it matter to my functioning?"
(Steve Perry: Shadows of the Empire)
Old 06-26-2019, 04:19 AM   #67
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

I find Gambler to be silly simply because Aaron Rodgers barely ever gambles. He throws the ball away more than any QB. I feel like EA doesn't even watch games.

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Old 06-26-2019, 05:51 AM   #68
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

@ this point, I feel like I'm willing to roll with the vision here, even on the ones that I don't quite get or might phrase differently. My rationale is that anything that can make me genuinely fear a CPU player is welcome. I want to be scared of a guy like Rogers when he's "on."

The beta implementation of this stuff was very good, so I'm inclined to think the released version will be fairly well balanced re: how these abilities play out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »