Home

Still no Formation Shifts or D-Line Stunts

This is a discussion on Still no Formation Shifts or D-Line Stunts within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
Rookie

Dblock1111's Arena

OVR: 1
Still no Formation Shifts or D-Line Stunts

I can't believe that 10+ years after APF 2K8 we still dont have a system for formation shifts or d-line stunts (TE/ET/Etc...)

I feel like these small changes would make a big difference in strategy, especially this year with one of the apparent changes being that the play select screen now displays your personnel and formation to cover up for lack of a walk up to the line.

Just ranting but dang, feel like this is one small feature I'm always waiting to hear about...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #2
Rookie

John_2400's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Still no Formation Shifts or D-Line Stunts

They don't care about the defensive side of the ball neither does the NFL but yeah the D need some love in every aspect.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
Rookie

Dblock1111's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_2400
They don't care about the defensive side of the ball neither does the NFL but yeah the D need some love in every aspect.

Man it sure feels that way... I still go back and play 2K8 from time to time and I just love that you can mix any defensive front and stunt with any Blitz/Coverage...

And honestly I have so much fun doing formation shifts, feels like I'm really coaching the game instead of only being able to send 1 person in motion on any play
Old 06-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
Rookie

They haven't had stunts in the game since what Madden 10.....this is why you can't run the Seattle defense or Chargers defense, because those teams rely HEAVILY on their front 4 stunting,slanting, twisting in order to create pressure and drop 7 into coverage. This is why in Madden you can't drop 7 and play cover 3 match or cover 4 palms or cover 2 sink all game like some teams in real life do. Because you get ZERO pressure with your front 4 no matter how good your DL is.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #5
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

The lack of stunts on the defensive line is still a big bugaboo on the defensive side of the ball, yeah. Ditto to lack of formation shifts on offense, but you can work around that with audibles to some extent.

You can play around with the defensive coverage shell a little bit, but you must do so at the play call level baked into specific plays. Madden 19 has a few plays like "Cover 2 Show 4" where the defense shows a Cover 4 shell but plays Cover 2. They're scattered through the defensive playbooks. It's certainly not ideal, but it has a limited presence.

I think that something more experimental defensive play callers might like playing around with in Madden 20 is the addition of Man Align / Base Align to the defensive coaching adjustments menu. That will at least let you move around some players on defense to show different looks immediately after breaking the huddle.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #6
Rookie

Dblock1111's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
The lack of stunts on the defensive line is still a big bugaboo on the defensive side of the ball, yeah. Ditto to lack of formation shifts on offense, but you can work around that with audibles to some extent.

You can play around with the defensive coverage shell a little bit, but you must do so at the play call level baked into specific plays. Madden 19 has a few plays like "Cover 2 Show 4" where the defense shows a Cover 4 shell but plays Cover 2. They're scattered through the defensive playbooks. It's certainly not ideal, but it has a limited presence.

I think that something more experimental defensive play callers might like playing around with in Madden 20 is the addition of Man Align / Base Align to the defensive coaching adjustments menu. That will at least let you move around some players on defense to show different looks immediately after breaking the huddle.

Yeah, they have some stuff with coverages that can give you some level of creativity, but I really wish there was a way to control it more, like deciding when to roll the safety or when to show blitz and stuff.

Also the man align and base align has been in for a few years I think, at least Madden 19, I use it a ton but I definitely can mess you up when your corners decide man align means they have to switch sides of the field cover their guys lol
Old 06-13-2019, 12:44 AM   #7
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_2400
Or coverage shell disguising for that matter either.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:13 AM   #8
Banned

Agreed, it's a big part of the game and they should definitely be included. DL stunts were a big part of NE's SB winning defense this season, and what allowed them to terrorize QBs in the playoffs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »