Home

The push for complete "Fog of War" in Madden 21 CFM

This is a discussion on The push for complete "Fog of War" in Madden 21 CFM within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #17
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The push for complete "Fog of War" in Madden 21 CFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crenk
Had another idea that simplifies things....What if madden simply ranked players at the end of the season. We see individual skill categories or ranges as I said earlier during the season. We never see an overall number but madden ranks players. Out of say 68 QB’s Aaron Rodgers ranked 3rd in a production equation for quarterbacks. The ranking is based solely on the previous years production rookies have no ranking b/c they have yet to play. They need to hit a certain snap threshold to be graded in their rookie season to get graded for year two.

Idk, just spitballing ideas here. I believe something pretty dramatic needs to be done to ratings to make them feel like people and not just globs of ratings data
Maybe rank them in each category according to their ratings, but hide the ratings?

I’d still prefer a ratings interval, personally. Simply ranking them won’t be enough information to determine positional comparative value, which is definitely something NFL teams have.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #18
Rookie

crenk's Arena

OVR: 4

Yeah I think we should still see an evaluation of talent but maybe less quantifiable. Instead of 30 categories of data that I can see and know exactly who is a better deep route runner or who is better at press coverage give them a grade maybe a letter grade that our scouts tell us. Speed is a B+ route running B and excellent hands he gets an A. Etc etc and then use previous years stats and age/ injury/ contract to determine if we want him or whatever. Mind you under the hood these ratings still exist as a range but we don’t get to see them all.
Just something to make them less like robots and more like people
Old 06-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #19
Rookie

crenk's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleachfanz2113

despite how much "sim" people want them to hide all rookie stats until a certain point i doubt they would do that again since its been made pretty obvious that one of the biggest casual appeals of madden owner or coach mode is the instant gratification of getting that high overall player during the draft. in my experience while any decent site wont allow this stuff but half of madden related posts i would see would go one of three ways, a terrible glitch, a game winning highlight or "look at this draft pick i made" even after it lost any meaning after the ability to edit draft classes was reintroduced. letting people get high overall rookies seems to be one of the highlights of franchise for alot of people, so i have my doubts about how willing EA would be about hiding too many stats again or even making scouting an actual challenge or something that even matters if you do it or not
What a perfect opportunity to differentiate a “sim mode” over arcade..... I mean how does EA not realize the opportunity they have to cater to all players.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #20
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
To that last paragraph, even something as elementary as the letter grades used for draft scouting which become more precise over time would be a marked improvement.
That's essentially what I laid out a while back in a post here. Basically rookies would start with letter grades (A,B,C,D,F) and as they practiced and played more, those letter grades would transition into having +/- designations thus becoming more precise and then from there, similar to Madden 12, their true numeric ratings would be revealed.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:29 PM   #21
MVP

prey2god's Arena

I love the concept. I think too much thought on both the development side and user end is put into "ratings" which actually affects enjoyability of the game in the long run.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #22
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

I've wanted some concept of this for a while.

It's a trickier design issue than it may seem, though. You'd at least need a ballpark grade. It's not realistic to think a coach has zero clue how good a player is until he gets game time. More like, a coach thinks they could do well, so they get some snaps. As they do better, they get more snaps, etc. So you would still need some kind of internal scouting grade. ABCDF for a given area.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 06-24-2019, 01:48 AM   #23
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
I've wanted some concept of this for a while.

It's a trickier design issue than it may seem, though. You'd at least need a ballpark grade. It's not realistic to think a coach has zero clue how good a player is until he gets game time. More like, a coach thinks they could do well, so they get some snaps. As they do better, they get more snaps, etc. So you would still need some kind of internal scouting grade. ABCDF for a given area.
Add in positional coaches with their own traits. You could have some coaches that are good at recognizing talent (closer to true ratings) and coaches that are good at developing talent (better at developing gems)

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Old 06-24-2019, 09:33 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 1

The perfect system for me would be this:

You can see ratings for every one, but some players are more certain than others.

Veterans are almost totally certain, especially if they’ve played a lot. Career backups less so.

Guys early in their career are somewhat certain.

Rookies/prospects are all over the place, although ones you’ve scouted are a little more accurate.

Your scouting budget can be used on active players or prospects.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »