Home

How Madden became King of the Gaming Gridiron

This is a discussion on How Madden became King of the Gaming Gridiron within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: How Madden became King of the Gaming Gridiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Backdoor? Was there something illegal on EAs part while trying to make an exclusive deal?
There was no exclusive license or the NFL talking about an exclusive when EA Exec emails were sent to the NFL asking for it. That's pretty backdoor. It doesn't have to be illegal. There was also some questionable negotiating that was reported.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2019, 03:07 PM   #26
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
There was no exclusive license or the NFL talking about an exclusive when EA Exec emails were sent to the NFL asking for it. That's pretty backdoor. It doesn't have to be illegal. There was also some questionable negotiating that was reported.
That's not backdoor at all, you're asking. Please post your sources.

Playing:
Old 06-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Lets not ignore EA's part in the backdoor dealings over the exclusive. I blame both the NFL and EA far more than I would blame 2K.
See I just don't get that, there really is no reason to have ill will to EA for asking for something that makes sense to their bottom line. It's not like EA wanted to get the license so they could screw over gamers. I'm sure they honestly feel they do the best job possible with Madden.

So why harbor ill will towards a company that wanted to try to get a license, did so and then put out a game that is fairly highly rated and continues to sell pretty well?

The real issue is the company who holds the license, the NFL. They're the ones who see all of the complaints since the exclusive license began and yet continue to renew it.

The NFL is also the same company who continues to only allow DirecTV the NFL package despite it being inaccessible to millions of people in this country.

The NFL is the one who is 100% at fault in both of these scenarios, not EA or DirecTV. They are both companies who are just doing what makes sense.

It's the NFL who owns the product license and is not doing the best that they can by allowing for competition.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 06-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #28
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaReal Milticket
It was a smart business move for both parties. I guess some people don't understand business.

Mobody's arguing whether it was beneficial to EA or the NFL. That has nothing to do with who was responsible for the removal of competition and how it has effected the state of NFL video gaming.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
"Backdoor"? Lol, you're describing it as something unethical. There is absolutely nothing whatsoever unethical or "shady" or "backdoor" about EA requesting an exclusive NFL license.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 06-28-2019, 03:12 PM   #30
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
"Backdoor"? Lol, you're describing it as something unethical. There is absolutely nothing whatsoever unethical or "shady" or "backdoor" about EA requesting an exclusive NFL license.
Yeah, this is grasping at thin air on that one lol

Playing:
Old 06-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Mobody's arguing whether it was beneficial to EA or the NFL. That has nothing to do with who was responsible for the removal of competition and how it has effected the state of NFL video gaming.
I'd like competition too but the NFL is a private license and it's up to them to decide if they like one provider of football games or many.

There's no sort of legal right for the public to have "competition".

I'll give you another example that might be more clear:

Right now you can go into just about any grocery store and buy a Coca-Cola. If Coke, the company decided they would like to only sell Coca-Cola at their own, new Coca-Cola stands they were setting up and Kroger, HEB, Walmart and all the other places could no longer sell Coca-Cola then they could do that.

People would complain (as they do about Madden) and many would say it was unethical or that Coke had a "monopoly" on the sales of Coca-Cola but...wait, that sounds ridiculous...well it kind of is.

About as ridiculous as implying that the NFL and EA have some sort ethical obligation to let just anyone who wants to make an NFL football video game.

Would it be nice? Heck yeah. Do I want them to allow it? Heck yeah.

Is it unethical or morally wrong that the NFL only allows EA? Nope.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
See I just don't get that, there really is no reason to have ill will to EA for asking for something that makes sense to their bottom line. It's not like EA wanted to get the license so they could screw over gamers.

That's exactly what they did. They removed competition and made small, incremental changes after the exclusive. They've been removing and then re-adding features years later as brand new. The game never really builds on what it has and/or moves forward like NBA2K does. It's EA's strategy. So yes, they have made a conscious decision to basically screw over gamers. Madden is driven by marketing instead of game development.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »