Home

Why is Madden the Only EA Sports Game Without an Official Broadcast Package?

This is a discussion on Why is Madden the Only EA Sports Game Without an Official Broadcast Package? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #49
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Why is Madden the Only EA Sports Game Without an Official Broadcast Package?

I'll be honest here, I don't think presentation's that bad.

I needs variety and it needs better design, specifically with banners and the like, and the callouts ("Under Pressure" and the like) look like debug text, but it's not awful. Commentary is good, just needs variety.

One thing that bugs the HELL out of me is banners that compare different things. Like, it'll say this defense is #5 in offense, then say they have 56 yards of offense. This is a difference-in-kind. Always compare same kind. A real broadcast would never do this. You'd compare average offense per game to offense today. Maybe you put (5th) next to average offense, but you compare same kind.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #50
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Why is Madden the Only EA Sports Game Without an Official Broadcast Package?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
This is kind of a catch-22. Most people start skipping the presentation elements because they're sloppily done and don't emulate real life very well.
I think the reason most people skip the presentation is simply because they want to play and don't want to wait.

Sure if it's really great, cool, etc they may be more apt to watch it at first but in the end most folks are going to skip it after they've seen it.

What we really need is dynamic presentation where things are less scripted, maybe that would make people less apt to skip it..

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Charles Davis basically got a job calling NFL games based on his Madden work. I think he is great. It was cool hearing him on Sundays in real games.

There is a lot to be left desired about Madden's presentation, but I think the commentary is great.

He has been commentating long before being in the madden game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2019, 10:44 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxx01
He has been commentating long before being in the madden game.

I think I did hear that somewhere...
Old 07-08-2019, 02:58 AM   #53
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I'll be honest here, I don't think presentation's that bad.

I needs variety and it needs better design, specifically with banners and the like, and the callouts ("Under Pressure" and the like) look like debug text, but it's not awful. Commentary is good, just needs variety.

One thing that bugs the HELL out of me is banners that compare different things. Like, it'll say this defense is #5 in offense, then say they have 56 yards of offense. This is a difference-in-kind. Always compare same kind. A real broadcast would never do this. You'd compare average offense per game to offense today. Maybe you put (5th) next to average offense, but you compare same kind.

Yes, the in-game presentation mostly just needs polishing. The biggest problem in the presentation is what isn't there though. Both in game and out of game.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:00 AM   #54
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I understand if there is great presentation(nba2k) people may want to hear and see it all the time, but after a few times, I'm button pressing all the way through even with 2K. Some people have more time than others to watch all the presentation and cut scenes, and some don't.

And I also understand the presentation elements are limited in Madden.
I'm one of the weirdos that doesn't skip the presentation for prime time games, season openers, and playoff games.

Except the stupid player introductions. I ALWAYS skip those because they are absurd. Like any broadcast is going to line up the starters in full uniform on the field... come on, man. It absolutely destroys immersion for me so I skip it every time. Bring back the portraits instead.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:16 AM   #55
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
I'm one of the weirdos that doesn't skip the presentation for prime time games, season openers, and playoff games.

Except the stupid player introductions. I ALWAYS skip those because they are absurd. Like any broadcast is going to line up the starters in full uniform on the field... come on, man. It absolutely destroys immersion for me so I skip it every time. Bring back the portraits instead.

That's the one thing I do not slip to see the full lineup of who is playing

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #56
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
He wasn't doing NFL games for Fox, he was doing NCAA games.

I did not realize he worked the year before he started in Madden, though.

This was the point I was making. He's been really good for the game. These guys are the first that finally were better than the actors in 2K's games. From a commentary standpoint, they are up there with 2K's basketball and baseball games.

In fact, I thought Gary Thorne was really good in the NFL series before they decided to grab the NBC guys. Doc emmet is a legend, but doing a video game is different, and he has been terrible. Would love to have Gary Thorne in another game, but, at 71, there is probably better things for him to do with his time.

Hopefully the new NHL 20 team will be as good as the the Madden team. NBA Live needs a new team, too.

Anything is better than calling Orioles games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »